Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA Precheck for Green Card holders with Global Entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani

When precheck first started, got the three beeps and used precheck almost every flight.

Since the past few months, I am not getting he three beeps at all. Removed my known traveler Id from my United profile, few a few more flights, but same problem.

Added the number back and still no luck.

Tsa site always mentioned something about US citizens are eligible, but since it wormed before and I have GE, would think it would work,

Anyone else have e same issue or have a green card and GE and precheck accepting?

Last edited by 808oman; May 2, 2013 at 3:51 pm
Old May 9, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 808oman
When precheck first started, got the three beeps and used precheck almost every flight.

Since the past few months, I am not getting he three beeps at all. Removed my known traveler Id from my United profile, few a few more flights, but same problem.

Added the number back and still no luck.

Tsa site always mentioned something about US citizens are eligible, but since it wormed before and I have GE, would think it would work,

Anyone else have e same issue or have a green card and GE and precheck accepting?
I called and checked with TSA about Green Card holders with GE using Pre as it seems ridiculous that those holding GC aren't allowed but opened to others that may not have had extensive background checks that those going through the GC process are subjected to.. Anyway they said specifically it was ONLY for US citizens and Canadian Citizens with GE. All others do not qualify for Pre. So technically some GC holders are registered and using Pre (being selected as opting in is declaring you are qualified per their terms which means declaring you are a citizen). Risk here is that if caught, it could mean them revoking your Green Card if they wanted to. So just an FYI if you're still looking at doing this. I made sure my name was removed from the Pre option with UA.
Old May 9, 2013, 3:31 pm

I am a Canadian citizen, on a Green Card (as a Brit) - odd I know, but that's how it falls.

So at my GE interview, the lady started talking about Pre, and I stopped her saying that it says (right there next to her finger) that it's for US citizens only, so no point wasting time on that piece. With a smile of course - those guys were the nicest CBP officers I've ever talked to. However another officer said that I could, if I was also part of Nexus (I am), so all is good.

I agree that it's totally ridiculous that GC holders aren't given some of this stuff more readily. The US government now know pretty much everything about me except my DNA itself. It's bad enough that we get fingerprinted every time still. "hey sure, come to this country, create work, contribute to society and the economy, and don't forget to pay oodles of taxes while you're at it! But don't forget that we still don't trust you, even though we say we do...."

</rant off>
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:03 am

GC Holder and TSA

Originally Posted by Spoddy
I am a Canadian citizen, on a Green Card (as a Brit) - odd I know, but that's how it falls.

So at my GE interview, the lady started talking about Pre, and I stopped her saying that it says (right there next to her finger) that it's for US citizens only, so no point wasting time on that piece. With a smile of course - those guys were the nicest CBP officers I've ever talked to. However another officer said that I could, if I was also part of Nexus (I am), so all is good.

I agree that it's totally ridiculous that GC holders aren't given some of this stuff more readily. The US government now know pretty much everything about me except my DNA itself. It's bad enough that we get fingerprinted every time still. "hey sure, come to this country, create work, contribute to society and the economy, and don't forget to pay oodles of taxes while you're at it! But don't forget that we still don't trust you, even though we say we do...."

</rant off>
Ideally the TSA Pre site shows that Green card holders are eligible to apply. Copy/Paste from their own website.

What are the eligibility requirements for TSA Pre✓™?
An individual must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and cannot have been convicted of certain crimes.

List A – One document is acceptable from the following primary forms of identification:

Permanent Resident Card (I-551) often referred to as a “Green Card” – demonstrates LPR status

List B – Two documents are required from the following secondary forms of identification (with one being a government-issued photo ID and one demonstrating citizenship/immigration status):
Unexpired ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the U.S. This must include a State or State agency seal or logo (such as a State University ID)
U.S. Social Security card
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:34 pm

TSA Pre-Check and Global Entry for Green Card holders

So my whole family recently signed up for Global Entry. Taking fingerprints from my 6-month old child was one of the funnier moments of my life.

My wife and children are all US citizens, but I am Australian, and a green card holder. What happens is that they all get selected for TSA pre-check except for me. I thought I would be eligible through the GE program, but I didn't read the small print correctly.

Q. Who is eligible for TSA Pre✓™
A. Travelers that are eligible for TSA Pre✓™ include:

U.S. citizens of frequent flyer programs who meet TSA-mandated criteria and who have been invited by a participating airline
U.S. citizen, U.S. national or Lawful Permanent Residents who are members of the TSA Pre✓™ Application Program
U.S. citizens who are members of a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Trusted Traveler program, such as Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS and Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS
Members of the U.S. Armed Forces
So looks like despite the rigorous Green Card interview, as well as the global entry interview, I have to pay another $85 for the TSA Pre Application program. And the nearest center is in Indianapolis, 920miles from Austin Texas where I live.

Somebody tell me that for people in my position this process doesn't suck.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:38 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
See my post #17 in this thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...o-tsa-pre.html You'll see that even though I am a permanent resident, I have GE and have occasionally (not often) had Pre-check without being enrolled in the TSA application program. (I actually didn't know that you could. I'm not going to waste time and money doing it because I'm sure it'll make no difference at all.)
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:15 pm

I am in the same position. I am a Green Card Holder with Global Entry but never get TSA PreCheck. Calling or Writing to US Airways doesn't help either. I am also a frequent flyer with US Airways (Gold), but no joy.

If you have GE, you already have a KTN. How does being a part of TSA Pre Check application program help? The program only gives you a KTN.
I am genuinely curious. Not trying to question what you read.

From the following link:
http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/part...n-tsa-precheck

IT says: "If you already have a Known Traveler Number, you do not need to apply for a DHS Trusted Traveler program."

Regards,
SG

Originally Posted by scotsman1000
So my whole family recently signed up for Global Entry. Taking fingerprints from my 6-month old child was one of the funnier moments of my life.

My wife and children are all US citizens, but I am Australian, and a green card holder. What happens is that they all get selected for TSA pre-check except for me. I thought I would be eligible through the GE program, but I didn't read the small print correctly.

So looks like despite the rigorous Green Card interview, as well as the global entry interview, I have to pay another $85 for the TSA Pre Application program. And the nearest center is in Indianapolis, 920miles from Austin Texas where I live.

Somebody tell me that for people in my position this process doesn't suck.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:29 pm

So apparently now the TSA is opening up the Pre program for non citizens as well for a $85 fee. Does that mean GC holders with GE are now automatically eligible for TSA pre?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
Originally Posted by danielchee
So apparently now the TSA is opening up the Pre program for non citizens as well for a $85 fee. Does that mean GC holders with GE are now automatically eligible for TSA pre?
Never paid the $85 fee, 95% TSA Pre clearance ever since it was first introduced. GC + GE only - not a US citizen. Even get it when my passport details are provided in advance for an international flight.

Many folks I know have always had TSA Pre even before the paid program existed and none of them are US citizens. All of us are CK or EXP on AA.

Not sure that helps you specifically, but it shows the variances in the system.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by thetaxman
Never paid the $85 fee, 95% TSA Pre clearance ever since it was first introduced. GC + GE only - not a US citizen. Even get it when my passport details are provided in advance for an international flight.

Many folks I know have always had TSA Pre even before the paid program existed and none of them are US citizens. All of us are CK or EXP on AA.
That indeed sounds like what has also been happening.

Other non-US citizens with US LPR status and GE have also been getting PreCheck LLL outcomes even when flying AA and neither CK nor EXP on AA.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:04 am

TSA Pre-Check and Global Entry for Green Card holders

I emailed TSA to point out this inconsistency. The email actually got forwarded to the Risk Based Security office and I received a response that suggested they will look at this in 2014 although no specific commitment was made. They did day they are actively working with CBP (who run GE) on this issue. I think they realize that they have a decent sized population that already has a KTN and it would be redundant to make them go through the Pre application process
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Starwood PLT, Hertz PC
I'm pretty annoyed by this. I used to get Pre-Check on 3 out 5 flights. While I never expected it to be a right or a guarantee, it was always a really nice surprise!

Ever since going through the GE process (as a LPR, not citizen), I haven't seen a single Pre-Check. You'd think with the scrutiny the GE requires (the interview process is pretty damn thorough) and the additional information I, voluntarily, provided... that having a KTN, even as a LPR, would increase my odds of Pre-Check. However it has done quite the opposite, I never get Pre-Check anymore.

I've emailed the TSA about it as well, just to share my frustration. It is pretty demoralizing not having any sort of escalation process, its not like writing our congressional representatives does anything these days.

Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: DL-PM
So now Pre-Check is open for LPR...

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/faqs

But it says "Lawful Permanent Residents who are members of the TSA Pre✓™ Application Program"

I already have GE... I sent a question to TSA asking whether I need to apply individually for Pre Check... The answer is as follows:

"TSA continues to examine the possibility of incorporating more populations into TSA Pre✓™ expedited screening. For example, TSA recently decided to extend eligibility to members of Global Entry who are citizens of certain foreign countries. In addition, TSA has expanded eligibility to U.S. nationals and lawful permanent residents who apply through the TSA Pre✓™ application program.

"To apply for TSA Pre✓™ eligibility, U.S. nationals and lawful permanent residents may submit an application through TSA’s Web site at www.tsa.gov or visit an enrollment center to submit an application in person. To complete the application process, individuals will be required to visit an enrollment center to provide identification, fingerprints, and proof of U.S. citizenship or immigration eligibility. In addition, an $85 fee to cover an in-depth background check and other operational costs is required. Upon successful completion, travelers will receive TSA Pre✓™ eligibility for 5 years at TSA Pre✓™ lanes at more than 100 U.S. airports when flying on a participating U.S. airline.

"Later this year, TSA plans to incorporate into TSA Pre✓™ expedited screening more populations, which may include additional non-U.S. citizens who are members of Global Entry. "

I think this clearly means that if we LPRs want Pre Check now, we need to apply for Pre Check regardless of GE status.

Just like some of you, I've had on-and-off luck with Pre Check in the past... I think it is indeed tied to your profile information with the airline, but... well... I still can't understand why is it so difficult to merge both databases. Oh well...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:54 pm

You are a PR and havent gotten TSA-Pre even with GE and FF status - read on

I am an LPR, I don't travel a ton - I am just a UA Gold.
I got the Global Entry late 2012 and have had my KTN in my Mileage Plus Profile since - I have never gotten TSA-Pre.

So I spent the $85 got the TSAPre Enrollment this Jan - they gave me a new KTN which was alphanumeric ( my GE KTN was all numeric). I updated my Mileage Plus Profile with the new KTN and since Jan I have made 4 domestic RTs and gotten TSA-Pre everytime!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by jayNOVA
You are a PR and havent gotten TSA-Pre even with GE and FF status - read on

I am an LPR, I don't travel a ton - I am just a UA Gold.
I got the Global Entry late 2012 and have had my KTN in my Mileage Plus Profile since - I have never gotten TSA-Pre.

So I spent the $85 got the TSAPre Enrollment this Jan - they gave me a new KTN which was alphanumeric ( my GE KTN was all numeric). I updated my Mileage Plus Profile with the new KTN and since Jan I have made 4 domestic RTs and gotten TSA-Pre everytime!
So, I (non-US citizen, non-resident, but member of Global Entry) got an email today from CBP today that I'll be eligible for TSA Pre from now on. The email specifically stated that I wasn't an US citizen/resident.

Having said this, I've been getting the pre logo onto my boarding passes fairly consistently for a year now. About 50% of the time I still did have to do the walk of shame over to the normal security line. The remainder of the time it worked very well..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.