Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS - Updating Passport & Driver's License

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2013, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Kryptonium

My driver's license was expiring & our passports only had a year left, so we got new passports & I renewed my license - now it was time to update our Nexus/GOES registration (you don't need an appointment to update).

We drove to the Detroit/Ambassador Bridge NEXUS/GOES office at 9 this morning, walked in and there were about 10 people sitting & waiting. When the first agent at the counter asked why we were there we were told to sign in & go right to the end of the counter. A CBP agent came right over, updated our passports, put in a GOES sticker, updated our Nexus & passport cards & my license & we were out of there in 5 minutes. Great efficiency!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
I was able to update my Drivers License in GOES this morning (which appears to be new) for my Nexus membership.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen12
I was able to update my Drivers License in GOES this morning (which appears to be new) for my Nexus membership.
Might have to do it in person at a NEXUS office. According to FT posts (sorry, no link), GOES updates are seen by the U.S. but not by Canada. Canada then can and has revoked NEXUS status for not having been informed in person that a DL has been updated. This is according to FT.

I do not have personal experience with this but would like to know.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by CL87
Might have to do it in person at a NEXUS office. According to FT posts (sorry, no link), GOES updates are seen by the U.S. but not by Canada. Canada then can and has revoked NEXUS status for not having been informed in person that a DL has been updated. This is according to FT.

I do not have personal experience with this but would like to know.
Which seems to be ludicrous as the Canadians can view the applications in GOES.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by dustman81
Which seems to be ludicrous as the Canadians can view the applications in GOES.
My post is not ludicrous because I am just reporting what I read, not reporting it as fact.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...hread-581.html

POST 8711 (page 581)
Originally Posted by 24left
Originally posted by Finkface:

" TL, DR; so the moral of the story is, if you have Nexus and your renew your passport or drivers license, you must go in person to a Nexus office to update your document. No appointment necessary and it takes 2 minutes. Updating it in GOES only updates it on the US side for use as GE. If you don't you will be pulled aside the next time you try to use it with CBSA with varying consequences, from a warning to actually having your Nexus revoked.
"

EXACTLY! The Canadian officer more specifically than the American one, made this quite clear after my interview.
Seems like the Canadians can view the GOES application but might not be able to see updates?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by CL87
My post is not ludicrous because I am just reporting what I read, not reporting it as fact.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...hread-581.html

POST 8711 (page 581)
"

Seems like the Canadians can view the GOES application but might not be able to see updates?
I didn't say your post was ludicrous. That the Canadians can see the application, but have to be notified separately from the Americans about updates is what's ludicrous. Particularly, when the Canadians and Americans work literally side-by-side in every NEXUS office. It just creates more work for the CBSA agents when they could be doing other things, like processing NEXUS applications.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:23 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Since I recently renewed my US passport, I decided to check on this issue.

I called the Canadian Processing Centre (the one listed for "Ontario & US" here) and explained "I'm a US citizen NEXUS member; I just renewed my US passport and I've updated it in GOES--"

Before I could even finish the sentence, the agent interrupted and said unequivocally that they don't have access to GOES updates and I have to bring the new passport, in person, to a NEXUS enrollment center (or enrolment centre, if using Canadian spellings) in order to update the Canadian records.

Yes, it seems like a silly situation but it's the situation we're stuck with right now. Had I known this in July I could have gone to the Detroit office while I was nearby. (If only the Seattle UEC were open on weekends, I could do that during my next SEA mileage run....)
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
When using renewed my passport in 2011, almost exactly a year after getting my NEXUS card, I actually noticed that GOES automatically updated with my new passport information through the State Department. Despite this, I called a NEXUS Enrollment Centre/er and the Canadian side said I didn't need to go to a NEXUS centre/er, but I did have to go to a GE office. So, I drove to LAX and got it done.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:37 am

My drivers license just renewed and the Nexus website wasn't clear on whether I needed to update Nexus with that info.

I called the Ontario number (800-842-7647) and spoke with someone who said that they needed the new info, and I was able to give it to him over the phone. Easy call, took 2 minutes, and he confirmed that I don't need to visit the office.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Nexus/GOES New Passport & Driver's License

The last couple of times I tried to update my DL, got told they don't care about it.

Passport is a different issue. My SOP is to update on GOES right away, and being to a Nexus office for in-person updates as soon as I'm near one. Canadians always tell me to update in person - US always tells me GOES-only is ok. A bit more info - I'm dual US-Canadian, and with different passport expiry dates, I always have at least one unexpired passport in the system, even without an in-person update.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:52 pm

Expired Driver's License and Renewal

My son just renewed his driver's license and we called the Detroit office to see if he needed to come in. Answer, NO. We just updated his expiration date online via the GOES system.

Two years ago when I called regarding my husband's driver's license they said he had to physically go in. It was a quick visit.

We use the Nexus card to go back and forth from US to Canada infrequently and also have linked it to Delta Airlines to expedite the security check. If we have any trouble with entering Canada (referring to older comments) I will update my post.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:13 am
Suspended

I moved to another state an the GOES website will not let me update my new DL. Called one of the offices and was told that you have to come in as the computer will not update DL (if you move and get new one from another state).
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:14 am

I just had the Nexus interview. I believe that the Canadian interviewer told me to update employment and drivers license online, but that an updated passport would need to be faxed. The fax gets folded and swiped as if they have the actual passport in front of them; i.e. the fax needs to be pristine and needs to have the portion appearing under your picture complete. The interviewer actually showed me with a piece of paper how he would fold the fax and swipe it.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:12 am
Suspended

My driver's license will not update. I went in. They updated it. Online it still shows my old driver's license. When I call and they look in their system, it shows the new driver's license (I asked them to read it back to me).

Sure would be nice if I could get that information to show up online instead of all this needless confusion.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:13 am

Latest

Straight from the CBP
That seems to explain it as of August 2017. Policies change over time. in this case.. for the better!
essxjay likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.