Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884

When Do I Need My Global Entry Card?

The circumstances under which a GE card is required/not required or useful varies to some degree. Certain travelers (e.g. those who are not Canadian or US Citizens, but are in another country's frequent traveler program and the US extends GE to them) do not have Global Entry cards. YMMV slightly with some of the below.

Scenarios when a GE card is absolutely required:
  • When crossing into the US from a foreign country (Mexico/Canada) via land and you want to use the NEXUS/SENTRI/Ready Lane lanes to enter the US, or returning to the United States by sea (if the destination in the United States doesn't have GE kiosks, e.g. some commercial cruise terminals).
  • You must show your GE or NEXUS cards to gain access to CATSA Trusted Traveler screening line at Canadian airports. (There are very limited reports of individuals using the now defunct CBP sticker on the inside of the back cover of their passport or logging into GOES on their smartphone to gain access to the line). Even if you clear using a non-TT line (premier or regular security line) you can walk over to the GE kiosks after clearing security (at YUL and YVR. May not be possible at at YYZ). GE kiosks at Canadian pre-clearance airports accept both passports and NEXUS cards.
  • There are reports of YYZ US CBP personnel expecting a GE card from those not eligible to them, but being satisfied by the user giving their Trusted Traveler Number (a.k.a. PASSID from GOES) in lieu of the card.
  • At cruise port where it does not have kiosks like Terminal 25 of Port Everglades, Florida, GE card is required to gain access to the GE lane.

Scenarios under which a GE/NEXUS card can be useful, but is not necessarily required:
  • When approaching GE lanes at certain airports, sometimes CBP or airport staff will ask to see the card to allow access to the GE kiosk area. If you don't have a card or don't have the card on you, you may want to try stating that you are enrolled in GE; if you have the defunct sticker in your passport, you can show that.
  • The GE card is useful at TSA Checkpoints domestically as an ID to match against the boarding pass. GE card is REAL ID compliant.
  • The GE card may be acceptable by CBSA for entry into Canada provided member is US citizen.
  • Use as a primary ID when you don't want your driver's license barcode/magswipe scanned and stored in a database (at a gated community, many retail stores, etc.) - although acceptance can vary because it is not the most commonly used ID.
  • Secondary proof of age/identification when the validity of a driver's license is in doubt

The GE card is normally not required (with the previously mentioned caveats) when using GE kiosks at US airports, since the airport kiosk reads the passport and user's fingerprints and cannot read the GE card.

Print Wikipost

The Global Entry Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
TSA Pre means absolutely nothing in Canadian airports.
That's not entirely true. At YYC preclearance in the early morning (usually before the trusted traveller security line is open) they'll usually send those with pre check on their boarding pass to row 3 where you'll be told you don't need to remove your shoes. It's fairly hit or miss when they do it though, so I wonder if it's a fairly limited trial.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by HotelFlyer
Admittedly as an obsessively rule following Canadian I've let the YYZ premium security requirement to see my card get my goat. But this was a new one; this spring (2016) the US Immigration officer at YYZ told me I could have my GE status revoked for not having my card. He gave me quite a lecture about how I had to have it even at the airport as it could be considered fraud to cross without it and effectively he was "letting me off with a warning" as I didn't have my card. He also told me that GE wasn't as good as Nexus and that I should make a Nexus appointment for my next visit to Canada, even though I've got years left on GE since in his opinion Nexus was a much better program. Since I wanted to make my flight and I'm not a US citizen I smiled, noded and promised to do better. I was so tempted on my trip this summer to show up at YYZ US Immigration with a paper print out of every page of the GE website that indicates GE cards are not required for airport crossings. The US government has got to do a better job of training their people on the rules of this program!
Interesting that this was a US officer. I might expect this from a Canadian as your are required to carry the NEXUS card. I was close to the first batch of GE travelers and they didn't issues cards to everyone originally. I didn't get any card until I joined NEXUS and got that card. I also got the GE card after I renewed last year. I always carry it as my back-up ID (separate from my wallet and/or passport.)

FWIW
DLM
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by reclusive46
That's not entirely true. At YYC preclearance in the early morning (usually before the trusted traveller security line is open) they'll usually send those with pre check on their boarding pass to row 3 where you'll be told you don't need to remove your shoes. It's fairly hit or miss when they do it though, so I wonder if it's a fairly limited trial.
TSA Pre on passenger's boarding pass does also absolutely mean something in Canada: it means the passenger hasn't been hit with a <SSSS> flag on the boarding pass and thus won't be subject to Canada's version of <SSSS> screening, as required by the USG, for US-bound passengers with a <SSSS> boarding pass.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 4, 2016 at 5:12 pm Reason: Term used by op is policy debate commentary, not practical travel safety advice/information.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Went through YYC last Thursday (06:55 flight to Houston) and went through the TT lane. I just told the lady that I was GE and she waved me over. Still had to take out the laptop and liquids but got to stay dressed...

FWIW
DLM
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Apologies for not having read all 273 posts on this thread, so if my question is answered somewhere else, please be nice!

I just renewed my GE status (painlessly, although without ever having received an email reminder...I happened to check on it only 5 weeks from expiry!). I'm now good for another five years, which is great. And now, for the first time, I was sent a physical card--but I've never had one before and never needed it. My question is: do I need to carry the card for any reason? What is it for? I'd have my passport with me for any trip out of the US in any case, so what does this card do?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Apologies for not having read all 273 posts on this thread, so if my question is answered somewhere else, please be nice!

I just renewed my GE status (painlessly, although without ever having received an email reminder...I happened to check on it only 5 weeks from expiry!). I'm now good for another five years, which is great. And now, for the first time, I was sent a physical card--but I've never had one before and never needed it. My question is: do I need to carry the card for any reason? What is it for? I'd have my passport with me for any trip out of the US in any case, so what does this card do?
Think of it as another form of official government photo ID that doesn't contain your home address, although others might not always not recognize it as readily as a passport card. If you don't carry your passport for domestic travel, you might want to use the GE card instead of your driver's license to show to TSA.

For transborder flights, the GE card can be necessary to prove that you have GE and thus are entitled to some privileges. It also can be handy if your international entry airport's GE kiosks are down and CBP staff are manually processing people but setting up separate lines for GE. (This happened to me once.)
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
My question is: do I need to carry the card for any reason? What is it for? I'd have my passport with me for any trip out of the US in any case, so what does this card do?
If you drive back into U.S. from Canada, you need your Global Entry card in order to use NEXUS lane.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: GE

You also need the card to use the GE/NEXUS "precheck lane" through canadian airport security, which is wholly independent of the TSA precheck program and also has nothing to do with the GE/NEXUS kiosks you use to pass through US CBP immigration and customs.

There are also (rare) anecdotes about needing to show the card to access the GE kiosks at certain airports.

I carry my GE card around everywhere. It is useful as a second ID, I have used it at airport security in Canada, and you never know when you'll change pland and come back to the US via land/sea crossing.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Global Entry card required at YVR

I traveled twice this month from YVR to American airports (PHX and MSP). I headed for the Global Entry kiosks and was intercepted by three young women who asked if I had a Global Entry card. I told them I did and it was at home. They said I would not be able to use Global Entry without presenting the card. I told them that the card was only necessary for land border crossings. They explained to me that once my plane took off it would fly across the land boarder; therefore, I had to have the Global Entry card now. I also inquired if I could use TSA PRE which was stamped on my boarding pass. They didn't know.
I went through regular security and moved on to the Global Entry kiosks which worked just like the always do anywhere in the world I see them.
What is the matter at YVR?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Orion
I told them that the card was only necessary for land border crossings. They explained to me that once my plane took off it would fly across the land boarder; therefore, I had to have the Global Entry card now. I also inquired if I could use TSA PRE which was stamped on my boarding pass. They didn't know.
That is one of the dumbest things I think I have heard someone in airport security say. And that is saying a lot.

Anyway, TSA precheck is only for US airports. YVR along with other Canadian airports have separate NEXUS lines that work like precheck. And you do need your NEXUS card (similar looking to a GE card) to get through them. Nothing is marked on a boarding pass. This is probably why the confusion by the agents. However, being that their job is working for airport security, they should know all this. It's not like YVR is a small airport in the middle of nowhere.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I traveled twice this month from YVR to American airports (PHX and MSP). I headed for the Global Entry kiosks and was intercepted by three young women who asked if I had a Global Entry card. I told them I did and it was at home. They said I would not be able to use Global Entry without presenting the card. I told them that the card was only necessary for land border crossings. They explained to me that once my plane took off it would fly across the land boarder; therefore, I had to have the Global Entry card now. I also inquired if I could use TSA PRE which was stamped on my boarding pass. They didn't know.
I went through regular security and moved on to the Global Entry kiosks which worked just like the always do anywhere in the world I see them.
Sounds like you were blocked from using expedited security, but not GE. CATSA claim that expedited security is open to GE members, but in reality it's only open to the subset of GE members who can show a card (some members aren't eligible, some never received a card, some forgot theirs at home).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by televisor
Sounds like you were blocked from using expedited security, but not GE. CATSA claim that expedited security is open to GE members, but in reality it's only open to the subset of GE members who can show a card (some members aren't eligible, some never received a card, some forgot theirs at home).
At YVR, I've also sometimes heard them tell me that I can't go the GE route for US immigration/customs if I don't have the GE card. And this was even years before CATSA had expedited security made available to GE members with proof of GE status.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Flying out of YVR is weird. To gain entry to the "Global Entry" line, we are required to proffer our NEXUS cards. Once we've cleared US Immigration and walked under the "Welcome to the US" sign, UA and AS, the two airlines we've flown with, demand we display a passport. No, our NEXUS cards are not acceptable.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
As a UK citizen with Global Entry (and therefore no card) being denied access to the GE kiosks I have the ability to use would be infuriating.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Skatering
As a UK citizen with Global Entry (and therefore no card) being denied access to the GE kiosks I have the ability to use would be infuriating.
YVR is a pre clearance airport. If you cannot show a NEXUS/Global Entry card to YVR airport security, you may not be able to use expedited lane. After security check point, you will see Global Entry kiosks before U.S. immigration. You can use a GE kiosk just like other U.S. airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.