Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: Independent
Global Entry Renewal "Duplicate Passport"

I'm trying to renew my Global Entry with my existing passport, and I keep getting a warning that it is a "duplicate passport" every time I add it into the application. Has anyone overcome a similar experience?

Unfortunately DHS hasn't responded to my email for help (sent weeks ago) and the GOES phone number has been busy for at least 6 different attempts (!!).

Update
I finally just gave up and deleted the application (as I should have long ago) and another pending one, and the re-created one had my passport. Just a glitch.

Last edited by hkcj; Jun 23, 2015 at 11:54 am
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by drewguy
Coming up on renewal time for GE.

When the renewal is pending does GE continue to operate as normal? Don't want to apply for renewal and have privileges suspended during return from trip. I have a few months so can wait for a "good" time to renew if need be.

(I'm assuming that my renewal will not be rejected - would understand if GE fails if it is rejected)
Renewal is any time in the last year of your membership, which expires on your birthday. I renewed about 10 or 11 months beforehand and had n problems.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Renewal is any time in the last year of your membership, which expires on your birthday. I renewed about 10 or 11 months beforehand and had n problems.

Thanks - I'm up on all that.

Maybe my question wasn't clear - during the period between applying for renewal and having the renewal granted, any problems using GE?

(Or maybe my question was clear and I'm just not reading you and PP's answers right!)
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
It's a pretty quick process for renewal and you may not even need an interview. There should not be any problem if you are in the process of renewing as your GE is still valid.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:14 pm

Renewed at ORD today. CBP officer said it was originally approved conditional because they wanted new pictures. Also got APEC card at the same time. Took about 10 mins. Asked about work history and travel. got emails for both approvals after 10 mins.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Thanks - I'm up on all that.

Maybe my question wasn't clear - during the period between applying for renewal and having the renewal granted, any problems using GE?

(Or maybe my question was clear and I'm just not reading you and PP's answers right!)
I applied and traveled with conditional approval. no issues.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:15 am

Location: New Jersey most of the time, also Germany, California and Florida for family and other places for business.
Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold. Global Entry since 2014
Originally Posted by Randyk47
We went through the same thing at SAT last year. I just kept checking, like every morning and late afternoon, and over a week or so we went from no interviews available at all to a few months out to a few weeks out to a week out. Not sure how they manage or don't manage their time slots but stick with it and I'm pretty sure you'll see slots open up.

While we really signed up for GE to get PreCheck......there wasn't a PreCheck interview site within 100 miles of San Antonio at the time......I'll have to say GE is fantastic. We had our first chance to use it last week entering through PHL from Athens, Greece and it was as smooth and as easy as it could be.
It's very interesting how a number of locations -- in this case, SAT -- seem to have a lack of available interview slots while others - EWR in our case -- seem to have plenty. The turnaround time from application to interview for both myself and my daughter was three weeks each time, which we're thrilled about. Now, if only my wife's renewal passport would arrive, we could then get her signed up as well.

Michael
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MikeNJ1109
It's very interesting how a number of locations -- in this case, SAT -- seem to have a lack of available interview slots while others - EWR in our case -- seem to have plenty. The turnaround time from application to interview for both myself and my daughter was three weeks each time, which we're thrilled about. Now, if only my wife's renewal passport would arrive, we could then get her signed up as well.

Michael
I honestly don't know. SAT, while designated as an International airport, really has a limited number of flights from Mexico that qualify it as an International airport. There probably aren't but half a dozen or so CBP agents assigned to SAT and I imagine they open up their interview slots around those limited flights and agent availability. One way or the other CBP is not a big operation at SAT.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
I was one of the first people to sign up for Global Entry in Boston, later getting PreCheck when the programs combined or something. I realized yesterday, on my birthday, that Global Entry expired, when I went to use it. I never got any postal or email notification about it. Hassle at immigration yesterday when I returned from Switzerland (I go ~20 times a year).

What's the process for renewing it? Do I have to start over? Is there expedited service for a renewal? If it matters, I never had any customs violations--before or after joining Global Entry, I have never gotten anything other than a parking ticket (which was an error and removed from my record) and I am located in NYC now as a professor and a consultant for the government. Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by GITU
What's the process for renewing it? Do I have to start over? Is there expedited service for a renewal? If it matters, I never had any customs violations--before or after joining Global Entry, I have never gotten anything other than a parking ticket (which was an error and removed from my record) and I am located in NYC now as a professor and a consultant for the government. Thanks.
You can renew online via GOES. The interview may be waived the second time around, but I don't know if this applies if the membership has expired. You might be considered a new applicant.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by GITU
I was one of the first people to sign up for Global Entry in Boston, later getting PreCheck when the programs combined or something. I realized yesterday, on my birthday, that Global Entry expired, when I went to use it. I never got any postal or email notification about it. Hassle at immigration yesterday when I returned from Switzerland (I go ~20 times a year).

From the CBP website:
How do I renew my Global Entry membership?

• Log onto GOES (click here).
  • Select Manage membership - the Trusted Traveler Program Enrollment page will display.
  • Select the blue Renew Application button - the Personal Information page will display.
  • Use the Application Wizard to change your personal information by selecting the specific category(ies) hyperlinks.
  • When complete, select U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List on the Application Wizard - the Trusted Traveler Program List will display.
  • Click the box next to each program that you wish to renew.
  • Select the enrollment center hyperlink to see a list of available enrollment centers.
  • Select Next - the Trusted Traveler Program Application page will display.
  • If a FIX Errors hyperlink displays, you must provide the information requested to proceed.
  • To continue, select Update to go to the Program Application page.
  • On the Program Application page, select Certify at the bottom of the page - the Certification page will display.
  • Answer Yes or No to "Do you certify?"
  • Select Next. The Final Review: Application Shopping Cart will display.
  • Select the box next to Fees. Fees are for application processing and are non-refundable. To agree and proceed, click here. The Home button changes to a Make Payment button.
  • Select Make Payment. The online payment page displays.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Renewal Process

Here's my experience with the Global entry RENEWAL process:

May 13: Got an email from dhs informing me that my GE would expire soon and to go to GOES soon to renew it. OMG, time does fly! 5 years already!?!!?

July 20: Finally got around to renewing on GOES (it wasn't going to expire for another month but I didn't know how long the process would take). Pay with the AA citi card to get the fee reimbursed. After process complete told to wait for provisional approval and that I may (or may not) have to go in for another interview.

July 27: Provision approval received via GOES, however, I will have to go back in. I make an appointment to do so at IAD the very next day (could have made the appointment for later that day if I'd been feeling plucky).

July 28: Visit the GE office at IAD. My appointment is taken precisely on time and my passport and DL are taken. Am asked how I have liked the program. Tell them it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am asked if I have committed any crimes in the past 5 years and I laugh and say 'no' and he says, 'we know!' and smiles. My photo is re-taken. My finger prints are re-taken ('in case they've changed,' I ask, and he says, 'processes are processed.') I'm told that I am good to go, to remember that my GE will last longer than my current passport so to update my new passport number on GOES when it comes and that my card will arrive in the mail in 2 to 6 weeks. The entire process takes approximately 90 seconds and I am sent on my way.

Global Entry and Pre continue to be, imho, one of the few thing the government does really well. ^^^

Last edited by kokonutz; Jul 29, 2015 at 10:03 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Here's my experience with the Global entry RENEWAL process:

May 13: Got an email from dhs informing me that my GE would expire soon and to go to GOES soon to renew it. OMG, time does fly! 5 years already!?!!?

July 20: Finally got around to renewing on GOES (it wasn't going to expire for another month but I didn't know how long the process would take). Pay with the AA citi card to get the fee reimbursed. After process complete told to wait for provisional approval and that I may (or may not) have to go in for another interview.

July 27: Provision approval received via GOES, however, I will have to go back in. I make an appointment to do so at IAD the very next day (could have made the appointment for later that day if I'd been feeling plucky).

July 28: Visit the GE office at IAD. My appointment is taken precisely on time and my passport and DL are taken. Am asked how I have liked the program. Tell them it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am asked if I have committed any crimes in the past 5 years and I laugh and say 'no' and he says, 'we know!' and smiles. My photo is re-taken. My finger prints are re-taken ('in case they've changed,' I ask, and he says, 'processes are processed.') I'm told that I am good to go, to remember that my GE will last longer than my current passport so to update my new passport number on GOES when it comes and that my card will arrive in the mail in 2 to 6 weeks. The entire process takes approximately 90 seconds and I am sent on my way.

Global Entry and Pre continue to be, imho, one of the few thing the government does really well. ^^^
^
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Has anyone been called for an interview after processing a renewal? How long in advance did they schedule your interview? 30 days, 60 days, etc?

I'm abroad now and if I am chosen for an interview don't want it to be while I'm out of the country. Further calling and waiting on hold from abroad isn't the cheapest thing (in case they do allow me to call and change said interview date).
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Has anyone been called for an interview after processing a renewal? How long in advance did they schedule your interview? 30 days, 60 days, etc?

I'm abroad now and if I am chosen for an interview don't want it to be while I'm out of the country. Further calling and waiting on hold from abroad isn't the cheapest thing (in case they do allow me to call and change said interview date).
You schedule your interview, but you have to go on-line within 30 days of receiving conditional approval and pick the place, date and time for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.