Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

No PreCheck when flying international

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:37 am

My wife and I were able to use precheck flying JFK-MIA-SCL (at JFK T8 checkpoint). Was surprised...
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:35 pm

Was the Miami-Santiago segment on American on LAN?

If you're on a domestic flight connecting to a foreign carrier, PreCheck will often work. It's a rare blessing if you get it on an international itinerary entirely operated by a US carrier.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:41 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by tlott
My wife and I were able to use precheck flying JFK-MIA-SCL (at JFK T8 checkpoint). Was surprised...
Prechek worked for me at DCA flying DCA-JFK-CDG. I figured it worked because I had a terminal change at JFK, arrived at DL and left AF from term 1 so had to go through security at JFK again.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
If possible with the terminal set-up, just buy a refundable domestic ticket on another airline, check-in for your international flight, check-in for the domestic flight and clear security using the domestic flight BP. Once through, cancel the domestic ticket.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PresRDC
If possible with the terminal set-up, just buy a refundable domestic ticket on another airline, check-in for your international flight, check-in for the domestic flight and clear security using the domestic flight BP. Once through, cancel the domestic ticket.
I think that takes more time than it saves.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by drewguy
I think that takes more time than it saves.
+1
Way more time.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+3 - I can take my shoes on and off and pull my laptop out of its bag a bunch of times in the time it takes to book and cancel a flight. Time is money.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
and wouldnt you be pissed if the domestic ticket you bought wont get selected for Precheck?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
It probably does, but I cannot tolderate lines, so if it means no line, it is worth it for me, even if it takes more time overall.

Also, for me, 99% of my travel is international. I made literally one domestic flight not tied to an international itinerary in 2012 and have made none YTD. I am pissed that I don't get access to this benefit and anything that sticks it to TSA is goodness in my book.

And, if sequester induced wait times increase significantly, it may actually be a time saver.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
In an interview published today on the website of The New York Times, Pistole indicated that PreCheck for international flights will arrive in the "near future."

"Q. When will the program cover international travel?

A. We reached an agreement with the European Union, Canada and Australia for them to accept PreCheck passengers from the United States. So starting in the near future, those people that are part of PreCheck or Global Entry will be allowed to go through PreCheck when they fly internationally."

Frustrated Air Travelers, the T.S.A. Chief Shares Your Pain
Old May 1, 2013, 7:18 am

In the United forum, somebody indicated that a screener in Newark said PreCheck for international would be starting on May 6.

Screeners also say that photography is prohibited and they're not all thieves, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old May 2, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Some evidence that PreCheck for Intl is already starting

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/airp...-tsa-precheck/
Old May 2, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JMN57
Some evidence that PreCheck for Intl is already starting
It has been documented in the past that if the international segments are on a foreign carrier, one will usually qualify for PreCheck on the domestic flights. This is not an indication of a change.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am flying EWR-IAD-DUB on UA and I have precheck on my Electronic BP for the first flight, but not the second one. I have a 15 hr connection at IAD, so maybe that's why.

Unfortunately, I really want precheck at IAD to save time on my layover - but doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Wonder if I can accidentally scan my EWR BP , which will likely still be on my phone and see if that will get me through. If it doesn't work, I just say "oops wrong BP"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.