Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Sign in using an external account
Register Calendars Flyertalk Wiki Today's Posts

Old Feb 10, 12, 7:36 am   #1

Global Entry application - Maternal Name?

I'm filling out my Global Entry application, about to pay and schedule an interview, for the primary reason of a better TSA experience at participating airports.

I am asked for my "Maternal Name", which, of course, is my mother's maiden name. Thing is, our American English-language culture doesn't use maternal names as some other cultures/languages do. Sure, I have a middle name on my passport and driver's license, but that's one of my _given_ names.

So do I have to enter my maternal name?

Last edited by mahohmei; Feb 10, 12 at 7:47 am.
mahohmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 12, 8:43 am   #2

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP, Avis First
Since I'm not sure what exactly they mean by that name, I simply left that field blank. Got my application conditionally approved. Now it's the interview time.

My OpenFlights.org
MAMOHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 13, 2:22 pm   #3

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
Does anyone know if that name is used for name matching in the TSA precheck program?
Old Aug 8, 13, 9:09 pm   #4

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec., SPG Gold, AmEx Plat
The "maternal name" field is there to account for names that follow Spain-style naming conventions. If that doesn't apply to you, use the First, Middle, and Last/Paternal name fields as normal. No need to add your mother's maiden name if it isn't part of yours.
LondonIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 13, 12:47 am   #5

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BAEC, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIce View Post
The "maternal name" field is there to account for names that follow Spain-style naming conventions. If that doesn't apply to you, use the First, Middle, and Last/Paternal name fields as normal. No need to add your mother's maiden name if it isn't part of yours.
This. You only enter it if you come from a Latin culture that uses a maternal name after your surname. Such as Maria Lopez y Garcia for example. You don't enter your mother's maiden name here unless it forms part of your surname. Leave it blank.
Finkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 13, 7:23 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanefny View Post
Does anyone know if that name is used for name matching in the TSA precheck program?
For those of you who have a maternal name... if you would like to have it show up on your Globalentry card, then put the maternal name in the the last name area. So if my name is smith thompson, then put both of them under last name and if you would like, you can also put the thompson under maternal. Rather odd, but b/c mine was only put under maternal name, it didn't show up on my card
Old Nov 5, 13, 6:39 pm   #7
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Quote:
For those of you who have a maternal name... if you would like to have it show up on your Globalentry card, then put the maternal name in the the last name area. So if my name is smith thompson, then put both of them under last name and if you would like, you can also put the thompson under maternal. Rather odd, but b/c mine was only put under maternal name, it didn't show up on my card
That's the way it usually works on USG-issued photo ID. The maternal name is mostly retained/used for background verification and other such purposes rather than inclusion on federal government-issued photo ID.
Old Nov 6, 13, 10:36 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
That's the way it usually works on USG-issued photo ID. The maternal name is mostly retained/used for background verification and other such purposes rather than inclusion on federal government-issued photo ID.
I wish i had known that when I applied. I figured it would show up on the card. Otherwise, why on earth would they ask for it. Or so I thought...
Old Nov 7, 13, 9:43 am   #9

Programs: UA 1K, DL, US/AA
Quote:
I wish i had known that when I applied. I figured it would show up on the card. Otherwise, why on earth would they ask for it. Or so I thought...
It certainly would benefit from better explanation. I put my mother's maiden name, which is not the purpose and is duplicated elsewhere (IIRC).
drewguy is offline   Reply With Quote