FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Global Entry application - Maternal Name? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1312563-global-entry-application-maternal-name.html)

mahohmei Feb 10, 2012 7:36 am

Global Entry application - Maternal Name?

I'm filling out my Global Entry application, about to pay and schedule an interview, for the primary reason of a better TSA experience at participating airports.

I am asked for my "Maternal Name", which, of course, is my mother's maiden name. Thing is, our American English-language culture doesn't use maternal names as some other cultures/languages do. Sure, I have a middle name on my passport and driver's license, but that's one of my _given_ names.

So do I have to enter my maternal name?

MAMOHT Feb 10, 2012 8:43 am

Since I'm not sure what exactly they mean by that name, I simply left that field blank. Got my application conditionally approved. Now it's the interview time.

Juanefny Aug 8, 2013 2:22 pm

Does anyone know if that name is used for name matching in the TSA precheck program?

LondonIce Aug 8, 2013 9:09 pm

The "maternal name" field is there to account for names that follow Spain-style naming conventions. If that doesn't apply to you, use the First, Middle, and Last/Paternal name fields as normal. No need to add your mother's maiden name if it isn't part of yours.

Finkface Aug 9, 2013 12:47 am

Originally Posted by LondonIce (Post 21240553)
The "maternal name" field is there to account for names that follow Spain-style naming conventions. If that doesn't apply to you, use the First, Middle, and Last/Paternal name fields as normal. No need to add your mother's maiden name if it isn't part of yours.

This. You only enter it if you come from a Latin culture that uses a maternal name after your surname. Such as Maria Lopez y Garcia for example. You don't enter your mother's maiden name here unless it forms part of your surname. Leave it blank.

Juanefny Nov 4, 2013 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Juanefny (Post 21238602)
Does anyone know if that name is used for name matching in the TSA precheck program?

For those of you who have a maternal name... if you would like to have it show up on your Globalentry card, then put the maternal name in the the last name area. So if my name is smith thompson, then put both of them under last name and if you would like, you can also put the thompson under maternal. Rather odd, but b/c mine was only put under maternal name, it didn't show up on my card :(

GUWonder Nov 5, 2013 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Juanefny (Post 21728188)
For those of you who have a maternal name... if you would like to have it show up on your Globalentry card, then put the maternal name in the the last name area. So if my name is smith thompson, then put both of them under last name and if you would like, you can also put the thompson under maternal. Rather odd, but b/c mine was only put under maternal name, it didn't show up on my card :(

That's the way it usually works on USG-issued photo ID. The maternal name is mostly retained/used for background verification and other such purposes rather than inclusion on federal government-issued photo ID.

Juanefny Nov 6, 2013 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 21734779)
That's the way it usually works on USG-issued photo ID. The maternal name is mostly retained/used for background verification and other such purposes rather than inclusion on federal government-issued photo ID.

:rolleyes:I wish i had known that when I applied. I figured it would show up on the card. Otherwise, why on earth would they ask for it. Or so I thought...

drewguy Nov 7, 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Juanefny (Post 21742253)
:rolleyes:I wish i had known that when I applied. I figured it would show up on the card. Otherwise, why on earth would they ask for it. Or so I thought...

It certainly would benefit from better explanation. I put my mother's maiden name, which is not the purpose and is duplicated elsewhere (IIRC).