Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

PreClearance and Global Entry at YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PreClearance and Global Entry at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zrs70
I understand that when connecting via YYZ from Europe to the US on AC, one bypasses Canadian customs and goes right to US entry.

Is Global entry available for those pax in YYZ?
Yes. You bypass Canadian customs and there are GE kiosks in the transborder immigration hall for connecting passengers. I used them last Sunday.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
One can take advantage of GE to any port of entry into USA - ie any airport, not just a US preclearance airport in Canada..
That's not quite true. There are airports in the US which have international arrivals that don't have GE at all. It's also not available at many sea and land points of entry.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by zrs70
I understand that when connecting via YYZ from Europe to the US on AC, one bypasses Canadian customs and goes right to US entry.

Is Global entry available for those pax in YYZ?
Yes, Global Entry kiosks are available for passengers in transit to the USA from another international flight at the YYZ Pre-Clearance facility.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:22 pm

GE/NEXUS at YYZ with International Connection

Hi all,

I just got my NEXUS card a few weeks ago and it came with Global Entry use as well. I've got two simple questions about the program for my upcoming trip:

1. Can I use my NEXUS/Global Entry to go from YYZ to US even if I'm connecting right afterwards to go onto an international flight?

2. What is the actual process to use NEXUS/Global Entry at the airport? I ask as I'm a little confused since people talk about these Global Entry kiosks, yet last time I was in T3 at YYZ I didn't recall seeing any GE kiosks. I only remember seeing a special security checking line for NEXUS. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
You have to clear customs/immigration every time you enter the US, even if you are connecting internationally. The US has no such thing as transit like most other countries. The good news is that you can use GE in the Preclearance at YYZ.

I haven't flown out of T3, but in T1 the kiosks are off to the left of the regular line. GE has its own entrance to the "customs hall" in T1 that dumps you right by the kiosks. Just ask someone where the GE kiosks are when you get to T3 Preclearance - it shouldn't be hard to find someone to point you in the right direction.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I haven't flown out of T3, but in T1 the kiosks are off to the left of the regular line. GE has its own entrance to the "customs hall" in T1 that dumps you right by the kiosks.
It's quite similar in Terminal 3. There is a clearly marked dedicated lane for NEXUS/Global Entry passengers. The kiosks are located along the left wall of the FIS hall.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:43 am

Hi, got AC flight from YYZ to ORD, few checked bags we have and our 2 year old.

We all have GE but never ever used before and no experience. There is a pre clearance after the security line? We go to GE Kiosk machine and then scan passports, answer the questions about food and then pick up the receipt and then? Do we have to scan our GE cards and passports both?
Also we have food, we will have our bags checked by CBP agents?

I have a stroller with a young child and I have 3 checked bags, I wonder if I will have to manage all this?

Thanks in advance for your answerS.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
You check your bags before going to CBP so you won't have bags with you, but they are available to the CBP on a video display so they can see the outside of your bag and have it scanned electronically and pulled out for review if needed.

You will scan your passports and do the GE stuff before seeing an officer but you will have to have the child's information run by the officer as he/she probably doesn't have biometrics. Depending on what you declare, they may flag you for secondary or wave you off.

As someone who travels a lot with a child that age, I never take more than one bag past security--I check any stroller or carseat as it just adds hassle.

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Hi, got AC flight from YYZ to ORD, few checked bags we have and our 2 year old.

We all have GE but never ever used before and no experience. There is a pre clearance after the security line? We go to GE Kiosk machine and then scan passports, answer the questions about food and then pick up the receipt and then? Do we have to scan our GE cards and passports both?
Also we have food, we will have our bags checked by CBP agents?

I have a stroller with a young child and I have 3 checked bags, I wonder if I will have to manage all this?

Thanks in advance for your answerS.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by samosa
You check your bags before going to CBP so you won't have bags with you, but they are available to the CBP on a video display so they can see the outside of your bag and have it scanned electronically and pulled out for review if needed.

You will scan your passports and do the GE stuff before seeing an officer but you will have to have the child's information run by the officer as he/she probably doesn't have biometrics. Depending on what you declare, they may flag you for secondary or wave you off.

As someone who travels a lot with a child that age, I never take more than one bag past security--I check any stroller or carseat as it just adds hassle.
If I have food and for child and declare it on the GE kiosk, how do they check the bags if bags go first?
I enter my info on GE kiosk and for child separately and show the receipt to CBP agent or a CBP agent has to come to the Kiosk and assist me ?

The lines for flights to US are long and is it worth using the GE Kiosk? And you said "As someone who travels a lot with a child that age, I never take more than one bag past security".

You mean carry on bag or checked bags?

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
I mean a carry on bag. As mentioned, your bag is visible on a video screen and can be removed for secondary by pressing a few key strokes. So it is very easy to do. I don't think it hurts to use ge and is actually much faster. Either way, you won't have the checked luggage in your possession
If I have food and for child and declare it on the GE kiosk, how do they check the bags if bags go first?
I enter my info on GE kiosk and for child separately and show the receipt to CBP agent or a CBP agent has to come to the Kiosk and assist me ?

The lines for flights to US are long and is it worth using the GE Kiosk? And you said "As someone who travels a lot with a child that age, I never take more than one bag past security".

You mean carry on bag or checked bags?

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:04 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I enter my info on GE kiosk and for child separately and show the receipt to CBP agent...
Yes.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:51 am

Hi, I have AA flight from YYZ-ORD and the boarding pass has TSA precheck logo on top and (PR) Priority on bottom. PR is for priority boarding? During boarding, they will announce this? I do see my aadvantage number.

Also, is there TSA pre-check for this flight? no right? NO faster security line? I have GE, Will save time by using GE?

Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Hi, I have AA flight from YYZ-ORD and the boarding pass has TSA precheck logo on top and (PR) Priority on bottom. PR is for priority boarding? During boarding, they will announce this? I do see my aadvantage number.

Also, is there TSA pre-check for this flight? no right? NO faster security line? I have GE, Will save time by using GE?

Thanks
No precheck.

*If* you are lucky enough to have a Global Entry card (only a subset of members get one), you can use it to get into the expedited ("Nexus"?) security screening in YYZ. If you aren't eligible for the card and/or didn't bring it you'll get told to use the normal lane.

And yes you can use GE for immigration, it's a good bit faster usually.

Last edited by televisor; Dec 6, 2016 at 9:29 am
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
No precheck.

*If* you are lucky enough to have a Global Entry card (only a subset of members get one), you can use it to get into the expedited ("Nexus"?) security screening in YYZ. If you aren't eligible for the card and/or didn't bring it you'll get told to use the normal lane.

And yes you can use GE for immigration, it's a good bit faster usually.
The nexus lane and GE line are different?

The nexus line at YYZ is the security line right? Just like the TSA security line here? We show our GE card, boarding pass and don't have to remove shoes/jackets?

And GE is once you passed the security line, it is the immigration line?

I can just show the GE Cards to avoid waiting in airport security line? Look for Nexus sign just like the TSA Precheck sign at the airport here?

Thanks for explaining.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:42 pm

Global Entry from Quebec via Toronto (Preclearance) into USA?

Hello,

I will be flying from the U.S. into Toronto and hopefully use TSA Precheck then.

On the way back I am flying out of Quebec, with a connecting flight in Toronto (which has preclearance), and from there back to USA. All flights are on Air Canada.

How does Global Entry/TSA Precheck work in this situation? Will I fly from Quebec to Toronto as if I was on a domestic flight, and then go through preclearance in Toronto? Can I use TSA Precheck and Global Entry then? Or would I check in at Quebec like a regular Joe Shmo for an international flight and do all customs and immigration back in the U.S. with no Global Entry/TSA Precheck benefits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.