Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
How are renewals - mine is ready to come up soon. Anyone note if a renewal requires another interview?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by mario02423
Just to update my original post, I submitted a complaint to the CBP Information Center (help.cbp.gov) on 12/16/16. I provided a play-by-play of what happened and why I was told I was rejected, and I summed up the necessary information surrounding my application's intention. I closed with: "I am requesting your approval for the APEC card as I meet the eligibility requirements listed on the CPB website."

Today, I received a response today asking for more information to validate my identity (full name, city/state of birth). After I provided that, they replied within a few hours and told me to expect a follow-up. Their direct words were:

I'm hopeful, and I'll let you all know how it plays out.
Update to my update -- Received a call from the Chicago office itself this afternoon, and the officer verbally approved my application. He then asked me to come in "at my convenience" (without appointment!) to finish signing. It was a quick phone conversation -- I was told to ask for the same officer that I was speaking with during business hours and that he would personally handle my request. I'm still not happy with the process and hiccups, but I'm glad that I have an actual person helping me out. Just so you know, the Contact Us/Complaint form really does work! Here's the link.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:49 am

For those that are following, and as my final update, I went on Thursday as requested. The front desk officer seemed surprised that I asked for a specific person, and he "wouldn't guarantee" that the officer would see me. Regardless, my officer was out quickly. After we walked back, we spent about two minutes signing the form and about 15 minutes talking about travel and such. He was a really nice guy, and I'll be writing an "attaboy" letter for that interaction. My understanding is that the original officer had an outdated set of instructions and hadn't been re-trained for the APEC processing.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: UA MM, Avis CHM
Traveling companions at HND

An update from the ground here at HND:

Previously the departure immigration counter had a posted sign indicating it was OK for one traveling companion (presumably an immediate family member) to come along with the ABTC cardholder. This was removed, and so I asked about it. The nice immigration officer says it's still OK on HND arrival (not that you'd need it really, it rarely if ever seems to get crowded) but the departure immigration is cardholder-only now.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Response from CBSA regarding renewal of ABTC after passport renewal:

Dear Mr. eigenvector,

This is in response to your email dated January 19, 2017, regarding re-applying for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Business Travel Card (ABTC) as it relates to your passport renewal.

Because the passport number is embedded in the Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) of the ABTC, it is recommended that members re-apply to the ABTC when they receive a new passport to avoid issues when using the ABTC lanes overseas.

To re-apply for APEC Business Travel membership, please log onto your Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) account with your GOES User ID and password, and click on the "Manage Membership" button next to your program membership, then click on the "Apply for APEC Business Travel Card" button. There is a non-refundable fee of $75.

If you require further assistance you may contact the GOES Support Help Desk at https://help.cbp.gov/app/ask . For additional information you may also access the section “Frequently asked questions about GOES” at https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/common/FAQ.html.

Once your application is approved, you will be asked to visit an Enrolment Centre to finalize your enrolment and provide a digital signature. A list of enrolment centres can be found at this link: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/location-eng.html. You will received your new card in the mail. The ABTC is valid for three years from the date of issue, or until the expiration date of the card holder’s passport and/or NEXUS card, if this is earlier than three years.

For additional information, please consult http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/abtc-cvaa/menu-eng.html.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency and for your continued interest in the ABTC program.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by blandy62
Some places might alllow you to travel with both your new and old passports and your current APEC card. But as a general rule, you need to get your APEC card reissued with your new passport number. You don't have to submit a new application just request a transfer
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Response from CBSA regarding renewal of ABTC after passport renewal:
Original ABTC should have been printed with an expiration date of 3 years or underlying passport expiration, whichever comes first.

eigenvector - Did you ABTC not having an expiration as per above?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by seawolf
Original ABTC should have been printed with an expiration date of 3 years or underlying passport expiration, whichever comes first.

eigenvector - Did you ABTC not having an expiration as per above?
Printed expiration of my ABTC is May 2018, which was also my passport expiration date. I had to renew the passport ahead of that because it was full (in Canada we cannot get extra pages added sadly). It seems CBSA is telling me I "should", but don't "need", to renew the ABTC immediately before using it again. I am going to SCL in two weeks I'll try using it and report back.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Printed expiration of my ABTC is May 2018, which was also my passport expiration date. I had to renew the passport ahead of that because it was full (in Canada we cannot get extra pages added sadly). It seems CBSA is telling me I "should", but don't "need", to renew the ABTC immediately before using it again. I am going to SCL in two weeks I'll try using it and report back.
I'm in a similar situation. I've already submitted my passport renewal docs, so I should be getting my new passport next week. I'll wait to hear back from you before deciding whether or not to re-apply for ABTC or somehow request a transfer.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Hi All-

I currently have Global Entry (previously also NEXUS). I would like to apply for the APEC card (US Citizen).

If you currently have Global Entry, I assume you still need to interview to get APEC?

If so, I won't be back in the USA until September. How far in advance can you schedule interviews? I saw a post that there was a 6 month backlog so I might as well get in the queue if that's the case.

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ffsim
I'm in a similar situation. I've already submitted my passport renewal docs, so I should be getting my new passport next week. I'll wait to hear back from you before deciding whether or not to re-apply for ABTC or somehow request a transfer.
Not sure want you mean by transfer. You get a new passport, you pay the ABTC fee again for new card and new expiration date of 3 years.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Hi All-

I currently have Global Entry (previously also NEXUS). I would like to apply for the APEC card (US Citizen).

If you currently have Global Entry, I assume you still need to interview to get APEC?

If so, I won't be back in the USA until September. How far in advance can you schedule interviews? I saw a post that there was a 6 month backlog so I might as well get in the queue if that's the case.

Thanks
You need to present yourself at an enrollment center to interview and capture signature which is printed in ABTC. I don't believe appointments are required for ABTC interview/signature capture.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Member

Does/should Wiki been cleaned up on enrollment center being up and running with signature capture equipment? Seems to be obsolete given US ABTC has been up an running for a while.

What do you guys think?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by seawolf
Not sure want you mean by transfer. You get a new passport, you pay the ABTC fee again for new card and new expiration date of 3 years.
I understand the logic behind re-applying upon obtaining a new passport. However, this post suggests a transfer is possible in lieu of an outright new application.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:07 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ffsim
I understand the logic behind re-applying upon obtaining a new passport. However, this post suggests a transfer is possible in lieu of an outright new application.
For other countries, yes, but not sure about USA/CAN-issued cards. There was no mention of this scenario where you renew passport significantly earlier than original passport expiration. Most likely scenario is CBP is going to have you apply for a new one.

It should also be noted that other country ABTC seems to carry a 5 year expiration and not tied to passport expiration while US/CAN ABTC are 3 years and tied to passport expiration.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Hi All-

Thanks
Yes, you will need to interview. There have been a lot of varied experiences here (some just sign a tablet, others get questioned), I'd encourage you to peruse the thread. Yeah, you can schedule VERY far in advance -- not sure if it's a year cap or not, but many months is common. You get to pick your date and time, provided it is available, and can change it at will. I changed mine a few times and didn't have any issues with that process; you manage times on your GOES account.

Safe travels!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
How are renewals - mine is ready to come up soon. Anyone note if a renewal requires another interview?
My current U.S. issued ABTC was due to expire in July. My passport does not expire until 2022.

I went on-line this morning to renew the ABTC card. Filled in the renewal form on-line, paid the $70.00, and 20-minutes later received notice that it was renewed and they would be mailing the new card to my home.

So no interview on renewal.

And best of all, the new card does not expire until 2022.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.