Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: Basement Lurker Club
Originally Posted by Foxhare
Just landed in Narita. With a non-endorsed U.S. ABTC, got the "APEC" note on my visa when I arrived in Manila 51 days ago; after a little trepidation, I was stamped out at NAIA T2 Immigration with no problem, just a question if I was there for the APEC conference or business.

So confirming that if you get the APEC stamp in MNL, it's good for 59 days rather than the standard 30, even with a U.S. ABTC. 😎😎
Would be interesting to see if you get it next time too. Do let everyone know.

I'd still be nervous until its happened a few times.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:28 am

WSJ on APEC card

Hi all,

Some of you helped with a piece I wrote for The Wall Street Journal on the APEC card and wanted to share. Enjoy

Alex

MOD EDITS:
Link below will take you to the article

http://blogs.wsj.com/expat/2015/11/1...ke-a-diplomat/

By ALEX FRANGOS
An APEC Business Travel Card.
Photo by Steven Okun

HONG KONG — For the army of U.S. business travelers tramping across the Asia-Pacific region, the goal sounded simple: they wanted to compete on a level playing field with peers from other countries who got the V.I.P. treatment in airport immigration lines.

And so a group of expat Americans spent five years flying back to Washington, D.C., knocking on bureaucratic doors for their cause célčbre: getting the U.S. government to issue a travel card that gives them diplomat-like line-cutting privileges in countries across the Pacific Rim.

Now they have it. But it wasn’t easy. And some kinks are still being worked out.

The effort took years of lobbying the federal government, and required an act of Congress and President Barack Obama’s signature.

“It was a ludicrous situation that we needed to rectify,” says Steven Okun, a Singapore-based American who works for private equity giant KKR.

article edited for copyright laws and FT rule
s

Email us at [email protected].

Last edited by squeakr; Nov 23, 2015 at 1:59 pm Reason: copyright
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: A3
People who use this with a US passport in BKK, are you pairing it with a Non-B visa? If not, is your entry being stamped for the 30day visa exemption, or for the 90day business entry?

Sam
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I used it [at BKK] with no visa for the [standard for US passports, nothing special to APEC] 30-day exemption. No problems.

Last edited by nkedel; Nov 26, 2015 at 12:32 am Reason: edit to clarify where since the quote I was replying to was deleted by mods
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
One of the benefits of the US card is supposed to be "Expedited" visa processing for those countries that actually require visas. Many folks in the thread above appear to be trying to just walk in without visas. I'm probably not that bold, except maybe for those countries that we're already ETA with.

So the real question for those who tend to follow the rules is "Just how expedited is it?" Does it basically become a rubber stamp formality? Or are there still delays, just not as severe? What is your experience by country?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by hessinger
Would be interesting to see if you get it next time too. Do let everyone know.

I'd still be nervous until its happened a few times.
I just went through NAIA T1 an hour ago and I got the explicit 59 day stamp with a US ABTC. Not an APEC notation, but a Jan 25 2016 stamp on a Nov 27 entry.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
One of the benefits of the US card is supposed to be "Expedited" visa processing for those countries that actually require visas.
Could you provide reference on this benefit?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by alexfrangos
Hi all,

Some of you helped with a piece I wrote for The Wall Street Journal on the APEC card and wanted to share.

....got the V.I.P. treatment in airport immigration lines.

....gives them diplomat-like line-cutting privileges in countries across the Pacific Rim.....
It would be nice if journalists could knock off the "Marie Antoinette" style sensationalist nonsense that just creates this have/have-not attitude that pushes the have-nots to complain and whine about everything from known traveler programs to precheck to elite boarding privileges.

We are not getting "VIP treatment". We are not "cutting any lines".
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Could you provide reference on this benefit?
Here is one place...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...l-facilitation

"Card holders will receive expedited scheduling of visa interviews and access to fast-track immigration lanes at airports in APEC's 21 economies."

And it is well documented on the US side on various consulate web sites for those coming to the US. In some cases local APEC card holders can bypass even setting an appointment and just do a walk in at the US Embassy.
(Example for Australia, not of bypass, but of expedite: https://canberra.usembassy.gov/abtc_faqs.html)

Last edited by WoodyWindy; Nov 28, 2015 at 5:57 am
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:05 pm
Original Member

Expedited scheduling of visa interviews for US citizens holding ABTC does not exist as per the final rule.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:42 am

Expedited scheduling of visa interviews for US citizens holding ABTC does not exist as per the final rule.
Thanks for the link!

The key here is, while the "rule" describes how the US handles the cards, it is not limiting on how other nations treat OUR cards. In fact, this is called out within the rule itself in the final paragraph of Section II.B.1...

"Fully participating members may choose to provide full ‘‘pre-clearance benefits’’ to any transitional member whether or not the transitional member provides similar full ‘‘pre-clearance benefits.’’ The ABTC Program does not affect the right of each member economy to determine who may travel to, enter and remain in that economy, including ABTC holders."

Some of the accounts provided in this thread appear to reflect certain countries electing to provide such benefits. In addition, APEC is designed to offer (at minimum) reciprocal arrangements, therefore I would expect any country to whose citizens the US provides expedited visa processing to offer that as well.
The US expedite is called out in II.C.1, paragraph 1....

"Although the United States requires visas for ABTC holders to travel to the United States, it affords ABTC holders from APEC members expedited visa interview scheduling at embassies and consulates abroad. All U.S. embassies and consulates in APEC member economies have procedures to expedite the scheduling of visa interviews for ABTC holders seeking to travel to the United States."

Last edited by WoodyWindy; Nov 29, 2015 at 6:05 am Reason: Correcting US Expedite rule.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:01 pm
Original Member

Thanks for the link!

The key here is, while the "rule" describes how the US handles the cards, it is not limiting on how other nations treat OUR cards. In fact, this is called out within the rule itself in the final paragraph of Section II.B.1...

"Fully participating members may choose to provide full ‘‘pre-clearance benefits’’ to any transitional member whether or not the transitional member provides similar full ‘‘pre-clearance benefits.’’ The ABTC Program does not affect the right of each member economy to determine who may travel to, enter and remain in that economy, including ABTC holders."

Some of the accounts provided in this thread appear to reflect certain countries electing to provide such benefits. In addition, APEC is designed to offer (at minimum) reciprocal arrangements, therefore I would expect any country to whose citizens the US provides expedited visa processing to offer that as well.
The US expedite is called out in II.C.1, paragraph 1....

"Although the United States requires visas for ABTC holders to travel to the United States, it affords ABTC holders from APEC members expedited visa interview scheduling at embassies and consulates abroad. All U.S. embassies and consulates in APEC member economies have procedures to expedite the scheduling of visa interviews for ABTC holders seeking to travel to the United States."
Is there another reference you can provide concerning expedited visa interview (other than from a US government reference)?

There is no evidence that expedited visa interview is an ABTC requirement (thus nothing to reciprocate) as this benefit wouldn't make sense as (fully implemented) ABTC bypasses the need to apply for visas to begin with thus making visa interviews at moot point.

If anything, US is offering expedited visa interview is likely a "compromise" in exchange for APEC creating a transitional category for US and Canada to not pre-clear ABTC applications.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 29, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:58 pm

Is there another reference you can provide concerning expedited visa interview (other than from a US government reference)?

There is no evidence that expedited visa interview is an ABTC requirement (thus nothing to reciprocate) as this benefit wouldn't make sense as (fully implemented) ABTC bypasses the need to apply for visas to begin with thus making visa interviews at moot point.

If anything, US is offering expedited visa interview is likely a "compromise" in exchange for APEC creating a transitional category for US and Canada to not pre-clear ABTC applications.
The only thing there is real hard evidence of is considerable confusion and inconsistency. While my interpretation of the spirit of APEC in general, and the ABTC in particular, is reciprocity, my initial question had everything to do with peoples actual experience with the reality of the program. In other words, Now that the US has started issuing ABTC, what impact has that had on your travel directly with regard to getting visas for those countries that normally otherwise require them?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:23 pm
Original Member

The only thing there is real hard evidence of is considerable confusion and inconsistency. While my interpretation of the spirit of APEC in general, and the ABTC in particular, is reciprocity, my initial question had everything to do with peoples actual experience with the reality of the program. In other words, Now that the US has started issuing ABTC, what impact has that had on your travel directly with regard to getting visas for those countries that normally otherwise require them?
To a foreign government, a visa application from a US ABTC member is no different than an application for a regular US passport holder.

From the other perspective, US embassies/consulates offering expedited visa processing does not equate to lowered qualification thresholds. It just means the turnaround time should be quicker; not rubber stamping.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:04 am

To a foreign government, a visa application from a US ABTC member is no different than an application for a regular US passport holder.

From the other perspective, US embassies/consulates offering expedited visa processing does not equate to lowered qualification thresholds. It just means the turnaround time should be quicker; not rubber stamping.
On the second point, I agree - though I think we both know that "should" does not always equate with "will"

On the first point, I beg to differ. I could not find the details of other countries' implementation legislation or issued rules, and since you have not produced them either, I believe all either of us has to go on is conjecture, and interpretation of such documentation as we CAN find, including the stated intent of APEC and the ABTC program.

Hence, my original question, which is consistent with the title of this thread, asking about peoples EXPERIENCES with these policies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.