Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RandomNobody
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family)
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: CX Gold, UA Silver, AA Gold (1MM), Marriott Plat
Just tried using this at exit immigration (Jakarta), the officer took one look at the back of the card and said it was invalid. I tried arguing saying the ABTC card allows me to use the expedited line, but he wouldn't hear it. I would have asked for a manager but there was only a two-person queue in the normal line. I was concerned that they would deny me by saying "VOA is not valid", but that was not the case, the officer did not even bother looking at my passport!

I entered through the visa arrival process and didn't use the ABTC lane when I went in as the normal lane was short.

Anyone else have experiences in CGK-Jakarta?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:11 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
When I went through CGK they were using the APEC line as an overflow line for the regular VOA line. Slowed things down considerably for everyone. Not sure I saved any time in the end, but it's not like I had anywhere to be quickly.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by hpvamp
Just tried using this at exit immigration (Jakarta), the officer took one look at the back of the card and said it was invalid. I tried arguing saying the ABTC card allows me to use the expedited line, but he wouldn't hear it. I would have asked for a manager but there was only a two-person queue in the normal line. I was concerned that they would deny me by saying "VOA is not valid", but that was not the case, the officer did not even bother looking at my passport!

I entered through the visa arrival process and didn't use the ABTC lane when I went in as the normal lane was short.

Anyone else have experiences in CGK-Jakarta?
Seems like there is no change - I went through bali maybe six months ago and had long argument with the IO supervisor there - they let me go through but it may have been just to get rid of me - being a little aggressive usually works for me - and I really want them to look up the regulations and change their policies.

Anyone heard from Taiwan - I remember a post saying there was likely to be some change before Chinese New Year...
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback @SeriouslyLost and @Theforeigner, I'm actually flying into TPE on 24-FEB, will let you know how things go.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:33 am

Delighted to announce that I used the APEC line successfully (which is shared for disability / diplomatic passports) last night at TPE with only one person ahead of me. The officer took a look at my APEC card. Stamped the passport, even wrote "APEC" next to the stamp. Doesn't really matter as I would get 90 days anyway, but interesting nevertheless.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:15 am

Delighted to announce that I used the APEC line successfully (which is shared for disability / diplomatic passports) last night at TPE with only one person ahead of me. The officer took a look at my APEC card. Stamped the passport, even wrote "APEC" next to the stamp. Doesn't really matter as I would get 90 days anyway, but interesting nevertheless.
Fantastic news! Did IO turn over the card to check for countries? Saves having to carry the frequent visitor printout....
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Theforeigner
Fantastic news! Did IO turn over the card to check for countries? Saves having to carry the frequent visitor printout....
Great news indeed (although for those that are forgetful, they can look you up if you just tell them that you're a registered frequent visitor, even if you forget the printout like I've done).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:11 am

I did not notice them flipping over the card, no. Also, I just departed TPE today, (and in T1 at least), APEC card can be used to skip the security queue as well. Same line as disabled / diplomat access. No issues whatsoever at immigration.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
I did not notice them flipping over the card, no. Also, I just departed TPE today, (and in T1 at least), APEC card can be used to skip the security queue as well. Same line as disabled / diplomat access. No issues whatsoever at immigration.
You really mean "security queue"? That's a very big plus!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:43 am

Glad about entry! Security line was always ok - I used the card to skip that line all the time even when they were not accepting US cards. The security line IO would never check the back side of the card. There is a special entrance for the security line towards the left of main entry - its location is a little discreet ..
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Did you get a look at the sign - did it say 'frequent visitor' along with APEC card, ie the same sign you see at immigration? The frequent visitor document is a much simpler, easier program for Taiwan entry than APEC if you don't need the express service at other countries.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:11 am

My wife seems to qualify (I don't). Can anyone think of any disadvantage for APEC? We're both Nexus already.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Would love some other feedback on TPE; a few of us always got through when others were stopped. Any others posting on TPE would be appreciated (and do we know of a formal notice to Immigration staff to accept the card now?)
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:07 pm

ABTC cardholders in USA / Canada

My understanding is that if you have an ABTC and you are coming to USA / Canada for business you are allowed to use the NEXUS lines. Is that correct or is my information wrong?

I did find this which suggests certain Canadian airports have dedicated ABTC lines:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/abtc-cvaa/menu-eng.html

"These foreign ABTC holders are able to enter Canada using designated APEC lines at Canadas eight major international airports in the following cities".

Reason I ask, was in Vancouver a few weeks ago, couldn't find a dedicated APEC line, tried using the NEXUS line, showed my ABTC and was told this wasn't a valid card.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:11 pm

Found this from the Singapore ABTC website, which might be of relevance:

https://eabtc.ica.gov.sg/eabtc/index.xhtml

"For the purpose of providing greater convenience, all ABTC holders (with or without pre-clearance) can also enjoy extended border facilitation, i.e. they would be allowed to use the APEC lanes in all participating economies, except when entering Chinese Taipei (to use designated lanes in Chinese Taipei, card holders must obtain prior pre-clearance)"

As a US, Canadian (and Chinese or HK) ABTC cardholder, you won't have prior clearance for Taiwan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.