Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Would a US APEC card be a better/decent choice over Nexus at YYZ?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by geclub1
A companion is not a listed benefit per se of the ABTC card. Just want to point that out.

A lot of countries do allow it. I even see a sign allowing it at HND, if my memory serves me. But it is not a stated benefit.
ABTC card with spouse has been successful for me at BKK, DPS, and ICN.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
I used APEC as entry into Manila but it wasn't a great time savings. On the exit however, the APEC line is virtually the same as the line for paying visa overstays or something so it was VERY VERY slow, I lost a lot of time waiting and then went back to the normal line. Once at the window, they could see I guess from the stamp (?) that I had entered via APEC lane and that took an additional few minutes to sort out (over and above the "other" normal line as I watched people pass through). On my next trip I would enter via normal lane if not a big time savings and then choose APEC v normal when arriving at passport control on exit.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Oh and I get the lingo now, ABTC, got it. Aside from being the ugliest card in my wallet, it has worked a charm in BKK, HKT, MTY.

I have Global Entry but was exiting at IAH the other day and saw their is a customs exit line for GE and also for APEC. Well, the APEC was closer but I just walked around to GE...but I was wondering if there was a circumstance where one might choose APEC over GE?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Used ABTC entering TPE on 12/31 - 1 person ahead of me in line and was processed within 3 minutes. Huge time savings over the regular line, as usual ^
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by crazycrab955
Indeed.

A colleague tried to use his Singapore-issued ABTC at SFO a few months ago and was accompanied by his infant daughter. He was on a business trip, and had brought his child along out of necessity. Seeing that his daughter does not have an ABTC card, the USCIS officer made him get out of the queue and join the regular non-citizen lanes, which by then were full of several hundred passengers. Two hours later, he finally cleared immigration.

Letter of the law? Yes.
Should the USCIS officer have given him an exception and processed him in the ABTC lane? I would argue yes.
Does USCIS ever fail to make a negative impression on folks entering the US? Sadly, nope.
I have found that within Asia, there is absolutely no problem bringing an additional person with you when you use the APEC card.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by theworld
I have found that within Asia, there is absolutely no problem bringing an additional person with you when you use the APEC card.
You are referring to getting APEC lane access for companion and not visa waiver, correct (assuming you have a non-USA/CAN issued ABTC)?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I think that's too much of a generalization. The only place I consistently get rejected with a guest is Vietnam.

Last edited by PVDtoDEL; Jan 2, 2017 at 10:02 am
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: asia miles
I got rejected on arrival at KIX with my 4 years old daughter who was with me even if nobody was waiting at the counter. Was told this is only for people travelling for business. So we wen back to the regular line. On departure no problem at all.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I think that's too much of a generalization. The only place I consistently get rejected with a guest is Vietnam.
Have had no problem in Hanoi recently (last time was in May mind you).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
And there are no such requirements for a certain number of past or future trips on CBP's website or in the application, just the vague engaged in trade or provision of services in the APEC region except for specific professions, which allows each CBP office to exercise their own judgement as to what that means. So you have an office like ORD playing twenty questions while another office like PDX doesn't ask any.
Just to update my original post, I submitted a complaint to the CBP Information Center (help.cbp.gov) on 12/16/16. I provided a play-by-play of what happened and why I was told I was rejected, and I summed up the necessary information surrounding my application's intention. I closed with: "I am requesting your approval for the APEC card as I meet the eligibility requirements listed on the CPB website."

Today, I received a response today asking for more information to validate my identity (full name, city/state of birth). After I provided that, they replied within a few hours and told me to expect a follow-up. Their direct words were:

We have escalated your concerns to the program manager since ORD was wrong in doing this. We will reach back out to you once the issue has been resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate you flagging this for us.
I'm hopeful, and I'll let you all know how it plays out.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Wow - 6 month backlog to schedule interviews @SFO Guess I will have to try a walk-in on my next trip.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
So I've renewed my passport 16 months ahead of its expiration because it was full. What happens now with my ABTC card? Do I have to renew it also before it can be used because it shows my old passport number on it?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by eigenvector
So I've renewed my passport 16 months ahead of its expiration because it was full. What happens now with my ABTC card? Do I have to renew it also before it can be used because it shows my old passport number on it?
Some places might alllow you to travel with both your new and old passports and your current APEC card. But as a general rule, you need to get your APEC card reissued with your new passport number. You don't have to submit a new application just request a transfer
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, KE MM, OZ DP, SQ PPS, Ritz Carlton Gold, IHG Aspire
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Wow - 6 month backlog to schedule interviews @SFO Guess I will have to try a walk-in on my next trip.
Walk-in for sure! The office is so crowded outside but the officers are very good about letting you in for a APEC biometric.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.