Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 23, 14, 7:27 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: ABTC / APEC Business Travel Card for U.S. Citizens Updates, Entry Experiences, Q&A
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: Jaimito Cartero
This is a user-maintained wiki FlyerTalkers with at least 90 posts and 90 days of membership may modify and update this information.
Please add your experiences and any other helpful information as they become available.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport)
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO
YYZ (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:
HND - 07/30/14 - success
MNL - 07/24/14 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens)
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2)

No Working Equipment as of Reported Date:
AMS - 06/03/14 - indicated GEEC outside of U.S. not expected to do ABTC at all
Blaine Nexus office - 6/23/14
Houston downtown city hall office - 07/2014 - no signature reader
PDX - 6/21/14

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 12, 14, 10:57 am   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef11 View Post
thanks for the update guys, but where is the option to apply ABTC though?
I logged in to GOES and clicked manage membership, but not seeing the option to apply for ABTC though.
If you click manage membership, should have menu row and last button is apply for apec, no?
dtsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 14, 10:58 am   #17
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

APEC Business Travel Card for US Citizens - Now Accepting Applications

Heads up:

As of June 12th, 2014 (today!), CBP is accepting ABTC applications on the GOES website for existing CBP trusted travelers.

I already put mine in and got conditional approval back in less than an hour.
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:09 am   #18

Programs: BR *G, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
After you click manage membership (assuming you are existing GE) there should be a row of blue buttons across the top allowing you to replace a card, apply for Netherlands Privium, Korea SES, and APEC Business Travel Card.
I've seen Privium and SES, but not seeing ABTC though....not sure it's because I'm a Nexus member (dual US/Canadian citizen)?

any Nexus member having luck here?
mikef11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:18 am   #19
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, National ES
Quote:
I've seen Privium and SES, but not seeing ABTC though....not sure it's because I'm a Nexus member (dual US/Canadian citizen)?

any Nexus member having luck here?
Bug?

According to page 4, US citizen enrolled in NEXUS should be able to apply for ABTC.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014...2014-10767.pdf

Speculation.....Since Canada contracted CBP to issue ABTC for Canadians and I haven't seen anything from CBSA on when they will begin ABTC for Canadians, maybe your Canadian citizenship is causing the ABTC button not to show up.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jun 20, 14 at 10:18 am. Reason: Fixed link
seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:28 am   #20
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, DL Silver, Carlson Silver, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Quote:
Refer to last discussion in May in this thread. The expectation is that the only benefit is to allow for access to crew/diplomatic lanes in APEC countries.
Thanks for the link, I had followed the original thread for the first couple of years. The APEC card doesn't seem so useful, without the visas to the other countries.
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:34 am   #21

Quote:
Bug?

According to page 4, US citizen enrolled in NEXUS should be able to apply for ABTC.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014...2014-10767.pdf

Speculation.....Since Canada contracted CBP to issue ABTC for Canadians and I haven't seen anything from CBSA on when they will begin ABTC for Canadians, maybe your Canadian citizenship is causing the ABTC button not to show up.
maybe that's why, I'm on the phone with GOES tech support. will send an update once I find out from them.
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:41 am   #22
Original Member

Quote:
maybe that's why, I'm on the phone with GOES tech support. will send an update once I find out from them.
Keep us up to date. I'm thinking that is the problem because GOES isn't programmed to know if you are applying for US ABTC or Canadian ABTC.
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:06 pm   #23

Quote:
just got off the phone with GOES tech support, they seem don't know what's going on and couldn't help. just sent an email to GOES and will see what they respond
Old Jun 12, 14, 1:25 pm   #24
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Heads up:

As of June 12th, 2014 (today!), CBP is accepting ABTC applications on the GOES website for existing CBP trusted travelers.

I already put mine in and got conditional approval back in less than an hour.
Thanks for the info. Took them long enough to get to this point, and will do the same as you.
Old Jun 12, 14, 2:05 pm   #25

Location: Home:HKG YYZ Business: LAX, SFO, SEA, PVG, PEK, CAN, NRT, MNL, SIN, BKK, LHR, YVR
Programs: DL girl's best friend, Lifetime(DL's not mine) SC GM, IC RA, SPG, AARP, CARP, Nexus/GE, APEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Thanks for the link, I had followed the original thread for the first couple of years. The APEC card doesn't seem so useful, without the visas to the other countries.
APEC card is not a replacement for visas to countries that you would need visas for.

It is a special priority lane that is less crowded and some airport part of the crew lanes.

In my situation the arrival airports that APEC is useful are TPE, MNL and BKK.
tentseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 14, 2:13 pm   #26
Original Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
APEC card is not a replacement for visas to countries that you would need visas for.

It is a special priority lane that is less crowded and some airport part of the crew lanes.

It should be noted that while US and Canada ABTCs are not expected to be a visa "replacement", ABTC cards from APEC countries other than US and Canada can replace a visa if pre-cleared by foreign APEC countries.
Old Jun 12, 14, 3:20 pm   #27

Location: Home:HKG YYZ Business: LAX, SFO, SEA, PVG, PEK, CAN, NRT, MNL, SIN, BKK, LHR, YVR
Programs: DL girl's best friend, Lifetime(DL's not mine) SC GM, IC RA, SPG, AARP, CARP, Nexus/GE, APEC
Quote:
It should be noted that while US and Canada ABTCs are not expected to be a visa "replacement", ABTC cards from APEC countries other than US and Canada can replace a visa if pre-cleared by foreign APEC countries.
As a 8+yr APEC card holder your pre-clear application is like the business visa application.
Old Jun 12, 14, 4:05 pm   #28

Quote:
just got off the phone with GOES tech support, they seem don't know what's going on and couldn't help. just sent an email to GOES and will see what they respond
called the GOES tech support again and spoke to their supervisor...not a pleasant experience...she kept on saying it's not launched yet, said maybe your friend applied directly thru APEC org. I kindly told her it's not possible, I told her maybe it's because I'm dual citizenship and asked her to check on it...she said i'm not listening to her and she just hung up on me...very bad experience....
Old Jun 12, 14, 5:56 pm   #29

Quote:
APEC card is not a replacement for visas to countries that you would need visas for. It is a special priority lane that is less crowded and some airport part of the crew lanes.
So VOA remains for Indonesia and Vietnam.

Quote:
This is very helpful. In Taipei, normal foreigners lines are jammed with tourists from China. For Bkk, this is almost as good as priority pass line, right?

Thanks
dtsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 14, 7:32 pm   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsm View Post
So VOA remains for Indonesia and Vietnam.

This is very helpful. In Taipei, normal foreigners lines are jammed with tourists from China. For Bkk, this is almost as good as priority pass line, right?

Thanks
For US APEC yes you need visa for Indonesia and Vietnam.

BKK it is a priority line.

Taiwan: I use my Canadian passport because my APEC is out of HK.