Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RandomNobody
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family)
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: BR *G, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by seawolf
After you click manage membership (assuming you are existing GE) there should be a row of blue buttons across the top allowing you to replace a card, apply for Netherlands Privium, Korea SES, and APEC Business Travel Card.
I've seen Privium and SES, but not seeing ABTC though....not sure it's because I'm a Nexus member (dual US/Canadian citizen)?

any Nexus member having luck here?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikef11
I've seen Privium and SES, but not seeing ABTC though....not sure it's because I'm a Nexus member (dual US/Canadian citizen)?

any Nexus member having luck here?
Bug?

According to page 4, US citizen enrolled in NEXUS should be able to apply for ABTC.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014...2014-10767.pdf

Speculation.....Since Canada contracted CBP to issue ABTC for Canadians and I haven't seen anything from CBSA on when they will begin ABTC for Canadians, maybe your Canadian citizenship is causing the ABTC button not to show up.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jun 20, 2014 at 10:18 am Reason: Fixed link
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Refer to last discussion in May in this thread. The expectation is that the only benefit is to allow for access to crew/diplomatic lanes in APEC countries.
Thanks for the link, I had followed the original thread for the first couple of years. The APEC card doesn't seem so useful, without the visas to the other countries.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:34 am

Bug?

According to page 4, US citizen enrolled in NEXUS should be able to apply for ABTC.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014...2014-10767.pdf

Speculation.....Since Canada contracted CBP to issue ABTC for Canadians and I haven't seen anything from CBSA on when they will begin ABTC for Canadians, maybe your Canadian citizenship is causing the ABTC button not to show up.
maybe that's why, I'm on the phone with GOES tech support. will send an update once I find out from them.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:41 am
Original Member

maybe that's why, I'm on the phone with GOES tech support. will send an update once I find out from them.
Keep us up to date. I'm thinking that is the problem because GOES isn't programmed to know if you are applying for US ABTC or Canadian ABTC.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:06 pm

just got off the phone with GOES tech support, they seem don't know what's going on and couldn't help. just sent an email to GOES and will see what they respond
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ari
Heads up:

As of June 12th, 2014 (today!), CBP is accepting ABTC applications on the GOES website for existing CBP trusted travelers.

I already put mine in and got conditional approval back in less than an hour.
Thanks for the info. Took them long enough to get to this point, and will do the same as you.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Thanks for the link, I had followed the original thread for the first couple of years. The APEC card doesn't seem so useful, without the visas to the other countries.
APEC card is not a replacement for visas to countries that you would need visas for.

It is a special priority lane that is less crowded and some airport part of the crew lanes.

In my situation the arrival airports that APEC is useful are TPE, MNL and BKK.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:13 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by tentseller
APEC card is not a replacement for visas to countries that you would need visas for.

It is a special priority lane that is less crowded and some airport part of the crew lanes.

It should be noted that while US and Canada ABTCs are not expected to be a visa "replacement", ABTC cards from APEC countries other than US and Canada can replace a visa if pre-cleared by foreign APEC countries.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It should be noted that while US and Canada ABTCs are not expected to be a visa "replacement", ABTC cards from APEC countries other than US and Canada can replace a visa if pre-cleared by foreign APEC countries.
As a 8+yr APEC card holder your pre-clear application is like the business visa application.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:05 pm

just got off the phone with GOES tech support, they seem don't know what's going on and couldn't help. just sent an email to GOES and will see what they respond
called the GOES tech support again and spoke to their supervisor...not a pleasant experience...she kept on saying it's not launched yet, said maybe your friend applied directly thru APEC org. I kindly told her it's not possible, I told her maybe it's because I'm dual citizenship and asked her to check on it...she said i'm not listening to her and she just hung up on me...very bad experience....
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:56 pm

APEC card is not a replacement for visas to countries that you would need visas for. It is a special priority lane that is less crowded and some airport part of the crew lanes.
So VOA remains for Indonesia and Vietnam.

This is very helpful. In Taipei, normal foreigners lines are jammed with tourists from China. For Bkk, this is almost as good as priority pass line, right?

Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
So VOA remains for Indonesia and Vietnam.

This is very helpful. In Taipei, normal foreigners lines are jammed with tourists from China. For Bkk, this is almost as good as priority pass line, right?

Thanks
For US APEC yes you need visa for Indonesia and Vietnam.

BKK it is a priority line.

Taiwan: I use my Canadian passport because my APEC is out of HK.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
called the GOES tech support again and spoke to their supervisor...not a pleasant experience...she kept on saying it's not launched yet, said maybe your friend applied directly thru APEC org. I kindly told her it's not possible, I told her maybe it's because I'm dual citizenship and asked her to check on it...she said i'm not listening to her and she just hung up on me...very bad experience....
I would have left that out personally as it is not required (I have one issued by a nationality that does not qualify for GE/NEXUS but it doesn't affect my ability to get APEC.)
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
So, to summarize, for US citizens:

1. You can't apply for APEC card if you live outside of US
2. US APEC card is not a replacement of visa, but rather than speed line towards immigration

Well, I do not see benefit for me to apply for the card then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.