Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
As I suspected, I see the the thread is going all over the place.

Well, for those who will wade through it all, I entered the Philippines last night through NAIA. No visa is required for U.S. Citizens entering the Philippines for short visits.

Used the ABTC queue with no wait. The immigration officer barely looked at my card. Certainly did not turn it over or run it through a scanner.

This entry was granted for a period of 59-days and was specifically noted as an APEC entry. The non APEC entry in the past has only been 30-days.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Successfully used the APEC lanes in Japan, Thailand, and Vietnam this past weekend..... with no ABTC card.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
Successfully used the APEC lanes in Japan, Thailand, and Vietnam this past weekend..... with no ABTC card.
Do you have Thai and Vietnamese business visas?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
^+1 -- as it should since the APEC spans many countries.

This entry was granted for a period of 59-days and was specifically noted as an APEC entry. The non APEC entry in the past has only been 30-days.
Question: did you check the box for business or pleasure [tourist]? Historically I have always checked pleasure/vacation/tourist box but I guess if now use APEC line will need to check business?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by 5khours View Post
US passport holders don't require Thai visa but is required for Vn. Often, if long que on immigration lines, they'll waive folks through the APEC line.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:12 am

What did the immigration officers do/ask? Just looked at your passport? Thailand I could understand, but would be surprised if Japan (fingerprints required) and Viet Nam (visa required) were normally that casual.

Originally Posted by dtsm
Question: did you check the box for business or pleasure [tourist]? Historically I have always checked pleasure/vacation/tourist box but I guess if now use APEC line will need to check business?
I can't speak to 5khours' experience, but some economies do take a dim view of people using the ABTC card for leisure travel (because the framework specifies it is for business travel only) so it would be advisable to check business.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:15 am

Nope. Just the regular VN short term visa. Nothing for Thailand.

Originally Posted by AsiaFlyer2014
What did the immigration officers do/ask? Just looked at your passport? Thailand I could understand, but would be surprised if Japan (fingerprints required) and Viet Nam (visa required) were normally that casual.
Nothing. I just walked up to the APEC counter and they processed it just like they do in the regular line. No questions asked.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:54 am

Well, for those who will wade through it all, I entered the Philippines last night through NAIA. No visa is required for U.S. Citizens entering the Philippines for short visits.

Used the ABTC queue with no wait. The immigration officer barely looked at my card. Certainly did not turn it over or run it through a scanner.

Thanks for the info. TPE is the only place so far that seems to have brought up the no country code on the back issue.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:36 am

Nope. Just the regular VN short term visa. Nothing for Thailand.

Nothing. I just walked up to the APEC counter and they processed it just like they do in the regular line. No questions asked.
Just to clarify for us all:

1. japan - just walked up to apec counter -- with or without abct card?
2. thailand - just walked up to apec counter -- with or without abct card?
3. vietnam - same question, and assume you had also had visa in hand, right?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by AsiaFlyer2014
I can't speak to 5khours' experience, but some economies do take a dim view of people using the ABTC card for leisure travel (because the framework specifies it is for business travel only) so it would be advisable to check business.
I'm interested in what if I'm returning from a business trip? My entry is to return home my trip was business: how would I've judged in this situation?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:53 pm

Just to clarify for us all:

1. japan - just walked up to apec counter -- with or without abct card?
2. thailand - just walked up to apec counter -- with or without abct card?
3. vietnam - same question, and assume you had also had visa in hand, right?
Yes to all with no ABTC card.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
I'm interested in what if I'm returning from a business trip? My entry is to return home my trip was business: how would I've judged in this situation?
Do you mean you are returning home to the U.S. following a business trip? If you stated that the purpose of your trip was business then you should not have any problems. I do not know for sure, but I think in most economies when you are returning home immigration staff probably does not scrutinize you too closely, at least as far as visiting APEC economies is concerned.

It is when you go to visit another economy that there could potentially be an issue. I have heard some reports of arriving ABTC cardholders (non-U.S.) being turned away from the ABTC lane because they were clearly on vacation (not sure if this means they checked "vacation" on the immigration card, or if they were wearing swimsuits or something).

But I don't know how common that is. It does seem that some economies are not terribly strict about ABTC usage (as evidenced by 5khours' post).
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:03 pm

^+1 -- as it should since the APEC spans many countries.
I was not referring to the number of countries, but the different subject matters interspaced throughout this thread. Six months from now when someone wants to find information on entering a country with a U.S. ABTC, good luck to them.

I was there for business so I checked business.

US passport holders don't require Thai visa but is required for Vn. Often, if long que on immigration lines, they'll waive folks through the APEC line.
APTC is for business travel and U.S. passport holders most assuredly need a Non-Imm B business visa to enter Thailand for business purposes.

While you don't need a visa to enter for up to 30-days for tourist reasons, you are not allowed to engage in business and therefore are not entitled to use the ABTC.

As with most things in Thailand, however, YMMV. I just wouldn't want to be the guy with no visa who checks the business box on the immigration form, uses an ABTC for entry, and is summarily denied entry due to lack of a visa. At that point, good luck trying to change it to a tourist entry.

Originally Posted by alphaod
It's a business trip. No problem.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:04 am

Six months from now when someone wants to find information on entering a country with a U.S. ABTC, good luck to them.

APTC is for business travel and U.S. passport holders most assuredly need a Non-Imm B business visa to enter Thailand for business purposes.
While you don't need a visa to enter for up to 30-days for tourist reasons, you are not allowed to engage in business and therefore are not entitled to use the ABTC.
As with most things in Thailand, however, YMMV.
You are absolutely correct in all of above. Which is why the ABCT from US at this time is virtually worthless. And if we believe the claims one can access APEC without ABCT, then absolutely worthless....
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
So I just flew in and entered Shanghai (PVG).

So in my case I was technically away in the US for some business, mostly pleasure.

Anyways I stated I was returning home (which is true since I live in Shanghai) on my entry form. I showed my ABCT to the guy guarding the lane; all he did was see that I had the card, didn't even scrutinize it and waved me through. The immigration gal was also very friendly and didn't care that my visa wasn't for business (she didn't ask for my card).

Overall uneventful except I basically didn't have to wait in the big slow line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.