Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Interview...time required?

Global Entry Interview...time required?

Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
I did my interview this past June at IAD. Took about 20 minutes including about 10 minutes waiting time during which I watched the 5 minute video. There were quite busy and turned away someone who didn't yet have an appointment. Also someone came early but they told him he would have to come back at his scheduled time. This may have changed by now.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:47 am

Super easy at JFK Thursday. Agents took me early. No video, just double checked important info, asked if I had questions and demo'd the kiosk. Super nice and easy to work with.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
Originally Posted by blueelf
Super easy at JFK Thursday. Agents took me early. No video, just double checked important info, asked if I had questions and demo'd the kiosk. Super nice and easy to work with.
+1 JFK 15min without video.
also took me 40min early....
super nice.......
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:14 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
I did EWR on arrival there on a Saturday. I showed up 10 minutes early. The ladies working the "front desk," some kind of EWR contract security I think, didn't tell the CBP guys I was there until my appointment time came. Once they knew, they called me right in. Once I was in, the 5-6 minute video on how to use the kiosk and how not to bring apples in the country, some questions about travel patterns, a quick photo and fingerprinting and a discussion about the Dutch, and I was on my way. From application to getting my card in the mail was less than a week. Shockingly efficient.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat, USAIR Plat, PC Plat Amb, SPG Plat....
25 minutes total at IAH. Very easy and the took me 30 minutes early.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:46 am

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Wyndham Dia, Southwest Companion Pass, Raddison Gold, Frontier 100K
ATL - Waited about 10 minutes, then about 10 minutes for the interview / instruction.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by cmx
The ladies working the "front desk," some kind of EWR contract security I think, didn't tell the CBP guys I was there until my appointment time came.
Ah yes, EWR friendliness and courtesy. Always a hallmark of customer relations in that cesspool.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:52 am
Original Poster

OP here Yep, I ended up doing mine in JFK also. I had an appointment but they were practically pulling people off the street. Very nice guys, super efficient and happy to take you if you don't have an appointment. I chatted with the guy for a while, he said the AMEX promotion had a huge impact on the number of people signing up. He told me the program has been around 2-3 years but few people even knew about it before.

I'm based in SFO and there is practically NO availability through the end of December. What a difference! Plus, JFK has much longer hours, and is open Saturday and Sunday.

Anyway, my passport worked at the kiosk, as promised, 24 hours later (I was on a MR to Madrid so I got a chance to actually check the 24 hour claim). Very easy, and I'm very happy.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, AA EXEC PLAT,HH GOLD, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by rookie10
For those that had their interview at SFO, a few questions.

I scheduled an interview at 10:30 and have a noon flight on AA. Is the interview location inside the airport and if so which Terminal. Wanted to get an idea of how much time I'll need, since I will be traveling with the family. Thanks in advance.
You'll need about half an hour. Maybe 45 minutes. The agent was nice to me, but he asked quite a few questions. We did get interrupted once or twice when he had to answer the phone.

It's in a room on the left side as you walk from int'l arrivals (where you actually exit customs) towards the airtrain.

I think that you may be cutting it a bit close, especially since you are traveling with family.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:03 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread relocated to Practical Travel Safety forum which hosts primary discussions of the Global Entry program.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
SFO Global Entry Interview ~20mins

I did mine at SFO and it took about 20 minutes. About 15 minutes of it was reviewing some information about my travel habits and about 5 minutes of going through a mock exercise on learning to use the GE machine.

This has been one of the best rate-of-return things I've signed up for as I have saved many hours breezing through customs. (I also believe if you have GE, Canada will reciprocate with free Nexus. I'll look into this further for my next stop through YYZ).
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:53 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allensun
(I also believe if you have GE, Canada will reciprocate with free Nexus. I'll look into this further for my next stop through YYZ).
Nope; you have to pay the $50 for NEXUS even if you already paid the $100 for GE. If you had done the NEXUS first, the $50 fee is all you would have had to pay as NEXUS members can use GE kiosks.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:46 pm

does anyone have experience with not being able to schedule an interview within the 30 days? unfortunately, I will be busy the next. 30 days but of course as it would be, I am able to do the interview any time literally after 30days from now. thanks in advance.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by overgrownegyptian
does anyone have experience with not being able to schedule an interview within the 30 days? unfortunately, I will be busy the next. 30 days but of course as it would be, I am able to do the interview any time literally after 30days from now. thanks in advance.
My understanding you have to login in GE system and schedule an appointment within 30 days and then you have 30 days to schedule from that date.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
My understanding you have to login in GE system and schedule an appointment within 30 days and then you have 30 days to schedule from that date.
oh so you can schedule a date for after your 30 days window?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.