Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by greggoak2
In 2014, I was found guilty of "failure to license animal" for not registering my dog with my city. Long story of why this happened at all, but based on that, I do have a record for this very minor violation of a municipal ordinance. I called the Global Entry office at my local airport to ask if he thought I'd be denied based on this. He said this is super minor, but I might still be denied. But he figured that if denied, it would most likely be overturned on appeal. But from what I'm seeing here, the appeal process could take many, many months. So it may not be worth the effort for me. Any thoughts?
Go for it for sure. Appeal process is impossiblely lengthy and Byzantine, but I can't see what it would even come to that if you fully disclose-- I'd be shocked if they turned you down based on that alone.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ari
I believe billinaz is referring to local ticketing practices in Arizona. In many states, when people are issued tickets for misdemeanors in lieu of arrest, part of the language of the ticket they are given is a court bail document (the part you sign-- the promise to appear). So in essence, you are temporarily in custody or "arrested" on the side of the road and then released on bail your own recognizance. The police officer acts as the court officer. More significantly, it generates an arrest record as if you were taken to jail in certain states (but not in others). This could also be what billinaz is talking about. He should be our resident expert on Arizona LE.
It is largely a distinction without a meaning and not something one hangs one's hat on outside of a specific jurisdiction.

There are all manner of "tickets" in different jurisdictions, including some which are issued after a full physical arrest and booking in jurisdictions such as NYC.

That's why the general advice is always to make complete and full disclosure and hide nothing.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Canada may give you more of an issue than the US when it comes to alcohol-related charges; but more than a few with similar situations during their college years have gotten NEXUS and GE several years later.

Just don't come across as trying to pull the wool over their eyes, for that doesn't go down well.
Not sure how strict they would be since the charges were expunged and it wasn't driving related. If it was a DUI I would say OP would have issues since a DUI is a felony in Canada and IIRC you get an automatic license suspension on a first offense. I have heard of people getting denied enter acne into Canada with a DUI and I believe when GWB was president he had to go through some things to make sure his DUI wouldn't get him denied entrance into Canada.

I never knew you could get arrested for peeing your pants though. WOW! Even if the OP had done that and wasn't acting obnoxious I would hope any judge would throw that out of court.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Not sure how strict they would be since the charges were expunged and it wasn't driving related. If it was a DUI I would say OP would have issues since a DUI is a felony in Canada and IIRC you get an automatic license suspension on a first offense. I have heard of people getting denied enter acne into Canada with a DUI and I believe when GWB was president he had to go through some things to make sure his DUI wouldn't get him denied entrance into Canada.

I never knew you could get arrested for peeing your pants though. WOW! Even if the OP had done that and wasn't acting obnoxious I would hope any judge would throw that out of court.
It's the DUI/DWIs that really give Canada pause; but when they hear about alcohol-related charges, it may bring up more questions even when not related to driving.

There are lots of young children and the elderly who have had such inadequate bladder control that they urinated on themselves. It seems like a major revenue opportunity for government to hit them with disorderly conduct charges for what is presumably an involuntary self-wetting incident. Would someone be denied GE/Nexus because of this? I would hope not.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 27, 2016 at 6:30 am
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:00 am

Denied for misdemeanors back in 1983-84 which I disclosed on application. Emailed appeal in September and received response that I would receive a decision in six months. Emailed again and have heard nothing. I guess I will apply for TSA pre-check instead.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Schutzee
Denied for misdemeanors back in 1983-84 which I disclosed on application. Emailed appeal in September and received response that I would receive a decision in six months. Emailed again and have heard nothing. I guess I will apply for TSA pre-check instead.
As I mentioned in this thread, Ombudsman response time is 8+ months. You haven't even made it to 8 months yet.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors Silver
Hey everyone...just a question.

DH and I applied for GE, and had interview on 4/16.

He was arrested and issued a ticket for something totally petty by the US Park police in 1992, which he disclosed in the interview, and stated he paid the fine. Interviewer said she needed a disposition, since her record didn't have one. We contacted the US Park Police and they apparently have no records of tickets going back that far, so they sent a letter saying that they have done due diligence and have found no record of the ticket.

I've sent that in as a disposition (since there is really no record of anything).

Thoughts from anyone on an approval or denial based on this? (We're still waiting for a decision since it was just sent this week).
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by bleagle
Hey everyone...just a question.

DH and I applied for GE, and had interview on 4/16.

He was arrested and issued a ticket for something totally petty by the US Park police in 1992, which he disclosed in the interview, and stated he paid the fine. Interviewer said she needed a disposition, since her record didn't have one. We contacted the US Park Police and they apparently have no records of tickets going back that far, so they sent a letter saying that they have done due diligence and have found no record of the ticket.

I've sent that in as a disposition (since there is really no record of anything).

Thoughts from anyone on an approval or denial based on this? (We're still waiting for a decision since it was just sent this week).
Welcome to FT!

Since you disclosed the event and got a letter from the Park Police, there should be no problem.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Is it possible to get approved for a m-4 charge from 1986? Long story but I got a charge (M1) for phone harrasement plead to a Discorderly conduct (m4) charge and got six months probation and have had no run ins with the law other than that one time 30 years ago. Am I wasting my time applying? I have heard you can have one misdemeanor charge from over 10 years ago and get approved as long as it's disclosed and heard other say you can't have any unexpunghed criminal charges
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors Silver
Originally Posted by 747FC
Welcome to FT!

Since you disclosed the event and got a letter from the Park Police, there should be no problem.

Good Luck!

Thanks much! Appreciate the feedback. I didn't really think it's a big deal, but DH has been fretting over it since the interview.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Is it possible to get approved for a m-4 charge from 1986? Long story but I got a charge (M1) for phone harrasement plead to a Discorderly conduct (m4) charge and got six months probation and have had no run ins with the law other than that one time 30 years ago. Am I wasting my time applying? I have heard you can have one misdemeanor charge from over 10 years ago and get approved as long as it's disclosed and heard other say you can't have any unexpunghed criminal charges
You may get it. Disclose fully, and in the interview, do not minimize your actions or the gravity of your offense. Good luck.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by BSBD
As I mentioned in this thread, Ombudsman response time is 8+ months. You haven't even made it to 8 months yet.
The email I received indicated six months
Old May 13, 2016, 5:20 pm
Suspended

it's a government agency.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So, how has that estimate worked out so far?
Old May 16, 2016, 5:40 am

I received an email that I have been conditionally approved. ^ Next opening for my interview in the NYC area is July 14th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.