Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:52 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by ellingwood
A little less than five years ago I was nailed by the AZ highway patrol for possession of marijuana (maybe half a joint's worth) and possession of marijuana paraphernalia (an apple that had been used as a pipe). A K9 officer pulled me over for doing 76 in a 75 and laid down some cold-hearted justice. I was ticketed but not arrested. I hired a lawyer to fight the charges but lost and was convicted of two misdemeanors. In December 2012, my lawyer successfully filed a motion to have my convictions "set aside". Long story short, the whole thing sucked.

Now I'm interested in using a global entry reimbursement perk. I am an employed, clean-cut, and well-spoken taxpayer, but given my dark and heinous criminal past, I'm not sure if the application process is worth my time. After reading this thread, my inclination is that I should just settle for TSApre.

Has anyone received GE with a marijuana possession ticket?
You were "ticketed", and by that you were arrested. You had been charged with a crime. You got lucky they allowed the jurisdiction to cite you for a misdemeanor. Both of those crimes are felonies by AZ Statutes.

"Set Aside" in reality means nothing. The arrests are in the ACJIS database and remain there.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ellingwood
A little less than five years ago I was nailed by the AZ highway patrol for possession of marijuana (maybe half a joint's worth) and possession of marijuana paraphernalia (an apple that had been used as a pipe). A K9 officer pulled me over for doing 76 in a 75 and laid down some cold-hearted justice. I was ticketed but not arrested. I hired a lawyer to fight the charges but lost and was convicted of two misdemeanors. In December 2012, my lawyer successfully filed a motion to have my convictions "set aside". Long story short, the whole thing sucked.

Now I'm interested in using a global entry reimbursement perk. I am an employed, clean-cut, and well-spoken taxpayer, but given my dark and heinous criminal past, I'm not sure if the application process is worth my time. After reading this thread, my inclination is that I should just settle for TSApre.

Has anyone received GE with a marijuana possession ticket?
I'd say still give it a shot, just detail-- completely-- every aspect of your history in this context in the application, downplaying or omitting absolutely nothing.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:40 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
You were "ticketed", and by that you were arrested. You had been charged with a crime. You got lucky they allowed the jurisdiction to cite you for a misdemeanor. Both of those crimes are felonies by AZ Statutes.

"Set Aside" in reality means nothing. The arrests are in the ACJIS database and remain there.
I am not a lawyer and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but how is getting a ticket the same as getting arrested?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
I am not a lawyer and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but how is getting a ticket the same as getting arrested?
Whether ellingwood was arrested or cited to court is pretty much irrelevant here. What matters is the fact that he or she was convicted of two misdemeanor drug charges as a result of that traffic stop.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:47 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by TWA884
Whether ellingwood was arrested or cited to court is pretty much irrelevant here. What matters is the fact that he or she was convicted of two misdemeanor drug charges as a result of that traffic stop.
Glad you got some typing out of the way...but that is not what I asked, nor is it relevant to what I asked.

I asked a very simple question, related to a very specific post, in a very nice and simple way; and I would like that answered by that person when able.

Your post has no bearing on what I asked at all, nor did I mention or reference GE. Being one of the first GE members ever, I am well versed in the program and how the applications work...but that is not what I asked about.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
The OP mentioned in the post that he/she was conviced of 2 misdemeanors

Your post has no bearing on what I asked at all, nor did I mention or reference GE. Being one of the first GE members ever, I am well versed in the program and how the applications work...but that is not what I asked about.
So I think the q. about being "ticketed" vs, arrested is s/w less relevant for GE or anything else than the two misdemeanor convictions.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:39 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe billinaz is referring to local ticketing practices in Arizona. In many states, when people are issued tickets for misdemeanors in lieu of arrest, part of the language of the ticket they are given is a court bail document (the part you sign-- the promise to appear). So in essence, you are temporarily in custody or "arrested" on the side of the road and then released on bail your own recognizance. The police officer acts as the court officer. More significantly, it generates an arrest record as if you were taken to jail in certain states (but not in others). This could also be what billinaz is talking about. He should be our resident expert on Arizona LE.

Last edited by Ari; Feb 10, 2016 at 10:47 am Reason: Correction
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Ari
I believe billinaz is referring to local ticketing practices in Arizona. In many states, when people are issued minor tickets, part of the language of the ticket they are given is a court bail document (the part you sign-- the promise to appear). So in essence, you are temporarily in custody or "arrested" on the side of the road and then released on bail your own recognizance. The police officer acts as the court officer. More significantly, it generates an arrest record as if you were taken to jail in certain states (but not in others). This could also be what billinaz is talking about. He should be our resident expert on Arizona LE.
That is false. Being required to appear in court as the result of an traffic infraction is not equivalent to being arrested. Not in any state. It will usually generate a warrant, but it will never generate an arrest record.

A specific set of circumstances result from an arrest -- i.e., the act of law enforcement taking a suspect into custody -- the most visible of which is being read your Miranda rights. This is important in many contexts, for example if you're required to answer "Have you ever been arrested?" after the fact. If you were not read your Miranda rights, and you were not booked into custody, you were not arrested.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:38 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
A specific set of circumstances result from an arrest -- i.e., the act of law enforcement taking a suspect into custody -- the most visible of which is being read your Miranda rights. This is important in many contexts, for example if you're required to answer "Have you ever been arrested?" after the fact. If you were not read your Miranda rights, and you were not booked into custody, you were not arrested.
That is absolutely incorrect. The only time that Miranda rights are mandated is prior to custodial interrogation, not upon arrest.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
That is absolutely incorrect. The only time that Miranda rights are mandated is prior to custodial interrogation, not upon arrest.
This is correct.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:02 pm
Suspended

^
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:44 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
That is false. Being required to appear in court as the result of an traffic infraction is not equivalent to being arrested. Not in any state. It will usually generate a warrant, but it will never generate an arrest record.
I didn't mean traffic tickets. I corrected my post.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Ari
I believe billinaz is referring to local ticketing practices in Arizona. In many states, when people are issued tickets for misdemeanors in lieu of arrest, part of the language of the ticket they are given is a court bail document (the part you sign-- the promise to appear). So in essence, you are temporarily in custody or "arrested" on the side of the road and then released on bail your own recognizance. The police officer acts as the court officer. More significantly, it generates an arrest record as if you were taken to jail in certain states (but not in others). This could also be what billinaz is talking about. He should be our resident expert on Arizona LE.
Thank you very much for answering my inquiry; I do appreciate it ^
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:42 pm

I decided not to bother with GE. I'll settle for TSA pre.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P
In 2014, I was found guilty of "failure to license animal" for not registering my dog with my city. Long story of why this happened at all, but based on that, I do have a record for this very minor violation of a municipal ordinance. I called the Global Entry office at my local airport to ask if he thought I'd be denied based on this. He said this is super minor, but I might still be denied. But he figured that if denied, it would most likely be overturned on appeal. But from what I'm seeing here, the appeal process could take many, many months. So it may not be worth the effort for me. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.