Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:06 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwmiller56
I'm not sure, but I'm wondering how much it will cost, not to mention the second $100 GE application fee which might be forfeited. Since I have already applied once, this means they already know about the conviction.
What state? Some make it easy, some not.

So it looks like any misdemeanor will result in a denial.
I don't know about that.

It looks like expungement is the only hope for me. Appeals probably won't work.
Was it a dry reckless or a wet reckless? Did you ever hear back about the specific reason for denial?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:18 pm

I suspect that Homeland Security is capable of seeing an expunged or pardoned conviction. In many states, pardoned convictions still show on a criminal record, but the disposition is charged to "pardoned." (Other expunge pardoned convictions). There is no inconsistency between them seeing something and deeming that it no longer constitutes a "conviction."

ATF is capable of seeing this stuff, but says that a conviction that has been set aside is not a conviction for "felon in possession purposes" if the state restores the right to keep and bear arms.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
So it looks like any misdemeanor will result in a denial.
Again, that is not true. Several people have posted on this forum that they have a misdemeanor conviction and were approved for GE.

A "wet reckless" is identical to a DUI in the eyes of law enforcement (which includes CBP). Another poster indicated that a DUI conviction will always result in GE denial.

Also, instead of posting 3 times in a row consecutively, may I suggest you use the "Edit" button if you need to add information to your post after you submit? In multiple threads you have 3 consecutive posts in a row, often addressing the exact same point.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
How would you experts advise in the case of:

• Preliminary approval letter received
  • Interview appointment scheduled for two days from now
  • Arrest 10 years ago for wrongful accusation of DUI, for which charges were duly dismissed (not convicted)

Would such an applicant need to bring proof of dismissal of this charge? Or would he/she be ok mentioning it in the interview without certified proof on paper?

Last edited by crunchy; Jul 23, 2012 at 1:37 am
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:13 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crunchy
Would such an applicant need to bring proof of dismissal of this charge?
Couldn't hurt to bring such documentation.

Originally Posted by crunchy
Or would he/she be ok mentioning it in the interview without certified proof on paper?
As long as there was never a conviction in the case and drugs weren't involved, they probably wont bat an eye. They can always put the application on hold until they get additional documentation.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:30 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Here is the answer, from another forum, as told directly by a CBP officer to the OP (emphasis added):
"The CBP officer told me about possibly being denied for speeding ticket, but said you definitely will be denied for a DUI arrest.
Arrest? Seriously?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I think part of the problem here is that, unlike most places where passport control is just about immigration, in the US the passport control guy also serves a customs function. The questions frequently go into customs subject matter.

In my limited experience with GE, I just go to the head of the customs line and show them my GE slip and am waved through - same as if the passport guy cleared me without sending me to secondary customs.

So, by definition, by skipping passport control you are skipping the first customs screening. When you reach the customs checkpoint, the officer obviously has the discretion to ask you questions if he chooses. But the officer knows that because you are GE you have been vetted in some way, and, as is well documented in this thread, would not have the card if you had anything the least bit dicey (from a customs perspective) in your background.

I believe that one of the reasons for the tough vetting process is that you are essentially getting an immigration and customs pass. When I obtained a Privium card at Schiphol a few years ago with my EU passport, the card was issued over the counter and I was asked no background questions (at least that I can recall.) In fact, if you look at the Privium application form, you can see that there are no background questions: https://www.schiphol.nl/web/file?uui...c-fa6f55858551 . This makes sense because Privium only gets you through passport control, which does not perform a customs function at Schiphol. All they need to determine is that you are an EU/EEA national and therefore entitled to enter the Netherlands.

For the same reason, a number of countries are installing automated biometric border gates without the necessity of pre-registration - because the gates only get you through passport control, which has no customs function in those countries. See http://bit.ly/Mqee6y.
Australia has these biometric passport readers, the border check (known in Australia as the primary line) where you passport is scanned and your arrival form checked is manned by Customs not Immigration, the Customs service perform both roles, however if you get a secondary for Immigration - you are then interviewed by officials from Immigration.

Customs also do another check once you have past the baggage carosels prior to the Aqis check (agiculture and quarantine)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ralfp
Arrest? Seriously?
I've been in GE for awhile now but last week I upgraded to Nexus and had my Nexus interview... during the interview the CBP officer asked me if I had ever been arrested (not convicted...arrested).. I have not been so I said no. But I thought that was interesting. She also asked specifically if I'd ever had a DUI, or ever been in front of a judge.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by offtheglass
A bit embarrassed on my last international travel from Belgium. As usual, filling out customs form, I thought I didn't have any fruit (I never brought any), veggies etc, so I checked No to that question.

Later I realized that I have a sandwich in a zip-loc on my carry-on. I told a customs officer that's the case and I was sent to a full search. She wrote down cheese, ham in big red on my customs form. In the full search area, I handed my zip-loc and that was indeed everything. No charge or fine was imposed and I was on my way out in 2 mins.

Now obviously I falsely checked No to the customs form, so I'm wondering if I'll get denied on Global Entry even if I'm not charged with any fine. Will I have a chance or should I just forget about it?
I was approved.

But .......the interviewing officer knew about the time (at least 10 years ago) I was waiting on the immigration line after a Xmas trip to Paris with my family of young children ......when the Beagle found an apple in my bag.

Especially when the kids were little, we always made sure we had snacks in case of delays or emergencies. Maybe those circumstances made the agent at the time more lenient and not only did this occur prior to offering up any ID to immigration, no report was ever written. We handed it over and i thought that was the end of it. But.....unless the officer was fishing, it was apparently recorded in my record somewhere.

I was very surprised and needed to be reminded of this incident during the interview but I had checked "No" to the question on my declaration survey.

Luckily, "The Apple Incident" did not prevent my approval for GE. Whew!

Last edited by msk6261; Jul 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Ari
Couldn't hurt to bring such documentation.

As long as there was never a conviction in the case and drugs weren't involved, they probably wont bat an eye. They can always put the application on hold until they get additional documentation.
I suppose one could always say "I don't have the document with me, but I can obtain a copy and send it to you" after explaining the situation if it arises.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:14 pm

> ... or ever been in front of a judge.

Yes. Once. For jury selection ... I was excused from serving. <g>
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:22 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I've been in GE for awhile now but last week I upgraded to Nexus and had my Nexus interview... during the interview the CBP officer asked me if I had ever been arrested (not convicted...arrested)..
What if one gets a speeding citation in a state where that's considered an arrest (albeit not a custodial arrest)? It seems like that's the case for most traffic violations in TN; a citation is given to an "arrested person".

This raises two questions regarding how to answer the "have you ever been arrested" question:
  • What happens if you answer "No" when you have received a citation such as above? To me that would be a lie (as far as I can tell).
  • What happens if you answer "Yes"? Could that be held against you (e.g. the person doing the interview thinks you're being a wise@&&)?

Heck, in TN you commit a misdemeanor when you play with roller skates on a sidewalk or stand on one side of your bike. If an officer witnesses you getting seriously hurt while doing those things he/she must take you into custodial arrest.

(Please tell me that I'm wrong about the above).

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I have not been so I said no. But I thought that was interesting. She also asked specifically if I'd ever had a DUI, or ever been in front of a judge.
I've been in front of a judge (sort of) for a traffic ticket. He told me I should be a lawyer.

N.B. I am not a lawyer and I did not research this thoroughly. I also realize that this would be a silly thing to worry about.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ralfp
I've been in front of a judge (sort of) for a traffic ticket. He told me I should be a lawyer.

N.B. I am not a lawyer and I did not research this thoroughly. I also realize that this would be a silly thing to worry about.
Actually when I was in there I answered NO to the question about being in front of a judge... but then later I recalled that I also went before a judge when in college back in 1989 to contest a traffic infraction (driving too fast for road conditions.. I had been in a car accident in the snow). However the judge dismissed the ticket..the police officer didn't show up to court but another witness (surprisingly) did.. he questioned her..she could offer no useful evidence against me.. he asked me if I had any questions for her..I said no... and he said there was insufficient evidence and dismissed my ticket. Took about 2 minutes. I don't think the CBP people are interested in traffic infractions anyway.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:36 pm

I had a 20 year old, long since forgotten, pot possession rap from CO bite me in the buttocks during my GE interview today. The charges were deferred for community service and ultimately dismissed, but all the CBP officer could see was the arrest. He did not deny my app, but put it on hold pending a certified court report proving the dismissal.

Ironically, in today's CO, the amount I had in my possession (1 oz)would not have even warranted charges. Considering that I've been granted security clearances in the recent past, this was surprising and rather annoying.

Last edited by brendog; Jul 26, 2012 at 7:44 pm
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by brendog
I had a 20 year old, long since forgotten, pot possession rap from CO bite me in the buttocks during my GE interview today. The charges were deferred for community service and ultimately dismissed, but all the CBP officer could see was the arrest. He did not deny my app, but put it on hold pending a certified court report proving the dismissal
So how does this all apply to someone with a DUI that got the record expunged?
(asking for a friend......really.......)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.