Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:21 pm

I do not see my specific situation covered yet. I have a misdemeanor DUI conviction, 5 years old, and dismissed. Should I bother applying for Global Entry?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Were you actually convicted or was the charge dismissed?

If you were convicted, you need to wait 10 years since your conviction to apply.

If the charge was dismissed, you should be golden. Put on the application that you were arrested (because they'll find that out when they run your prints) and bring a copy of the court documentation showing the dismissal to your interview.

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 9, 2015 at 9:57 pm Reason: readability
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:19 pm

I was convicted. I asked to have it dismissed after 5 years and the judge agreed. Thanks for the tip. Bummer.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Since you had it dismissed then you shouldn't have a problem. The problem is those that have been convicted, and never in any form had the charge dismissed. You should bring paperwork to show the judge dismissed the charges, all they may see is the conviction.

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 9, 2015 at 9:57 pm Reason: readability
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by cparekh
I appealed by writing the Ombudsman about the fact that my denial, which was based on the finding of a conviction was not actually a conviction. This is different than your situation, which is a plea to a lower charge (though perhaps not a criminal conviction).

I included documentation of the state law stating I was not convicted as well as the Judge's order expunging the arrest. After three months, I was approved.
How long did the Ombudsman or the office of Ombudsman take to respond to your initial appeal?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I am an EU citizen, and without any prior application or approval I have used the automatic biometric border gates in the UK, Netherlands, and at least one other country.

That serves as passport control, then you have the normal green channel/red channel customs. I have probably entered the EU well over 50 times at airports, and never had my luggage searched. I think once a customs official asked me where I was coming from while going through the Green channel, and that was it.

So basically, Americans are made to go through an application process, jump through hoops, and have a pristine record to get the same treatment coming home Europeans enjoy automatically.

So, for those posters who have the "what do you expect, you brought ____ (fill in minor transgression here) through customs years ago: attitude, I suppose the answer might be "I expect to be treated the same way the citizens of European democracies are treated by their countries."
Well, if I were using that line of logic, it's easy to poke at it and ask why there's passport control between any countries in the same union. I can't enter between Schengen Eu countries and non, such as UK, Switzerland, Norway, et al without going through a passport check. You can't say the same for the USA in that regard.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Since you had it dismissed then you shouldn't have a problem. The problem is those that have been convicted, and never in any form had the charge dismissed. You should bring paperwork to show the judge dismissed the charges, all they may see is the conviction.
should you answer yes or no to the question "if you've ever been convicted of a crime"?
technically you were convicted, but it was later vacated, found not guilty and dismissed
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Always err on the side of admission. Then explain and bring paperwork to interview.

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 9, 2015 at 9:55 pm Reason: readability
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:46 pm

Hi All, first time poster but I thought I would share my GE experience with you. I've been following all of these threads and am appreciative of the help offered by the various posters.

I'm a convicted felon with a misdemeanor to boot, both about 20 years old. In California, there is no expungement process but they do have an avenue for relief to retract guilty pleas and change them to not guilty after a period of time with the court's approval.

I went through the process in California to retract my guilty pleas and changed them to not guilty almost 15 years ago. I have a copy of my FBI rap sheet and these all show up accurately on it.

I was conditionally approve for GE and went to my interview last week. I presented the CBP officer with copies of my court records and he took a copy to keep. He took my picture and fingerprints and said he would refer the case to his supervisor for review and I would receive a decision in 7-10 days.

Now the good news...after reviewing my docs and record, I was approved for GE. Can't believe it actually happened, I thought I would be screwed.

So to all those that feel they are hesitant, I would suggest that you do as much as you can to clean up your record and apply. You never know what may happen.

Thanks to all the posters for your help and information!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Congratulations to you and Welcome to Flyertalk! It is hard to believe that GE acceptance would care about whether or not you pleaded G or NG. The important issues is whether or not you were convicted. That being said, the general point is well-taken: Do as much as you can to provide the CBP agents with paperwork that is accurate and favorable, be honest, and hope for the best.

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 9, 2015 at 9:55 pm Reason: readability
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I'll second the congratulations and the welcome to FlyerTalk. Good for you for being completely honest and forthright. I'm sure that is what got you approved, not the guilty-to-not guilty thing. This post should be required reading for all those asking about minor arrests and convictions from years ago. You've proven that even a felony conviction doesn't necessarily mean denial and that being honest about ones past is a big part of what counts. Good for you and enjoy GE!

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 9, 2015 at 9:56 pm Reason: readability
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:04 pm

Thanks Fink and 747. I was turned down for Nexus four years ago (I'm a US & Cdn citizen) so I thought there was no way I would get GE. In my GE app I was totally up front and as I had a copy of my FBI rap sheet, I quoted the exact dates of my events. To say the least I am over the moon as I frequently travel internationally. It would be nice to have Nexus too but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Congrats! Makes my husband's and my rejection -- details upthread, but never had the slightest brush wth the law, and he's a clergyman and returned Peace Corps volunteer to boot -- seem all the more hilarious.

Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I followed your posts about this as it was happening. Completely baffling and unfair. And extremely troubling if the reason is what you suspect it is. Still no resolution or at least information?

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 10, 2015 at 10:07 pm Reason: readability
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by AC_UAL
Thanks Fink and 747. I was turned down for Nexus four years ago (I'm a US & Cdn citizen) so I thought there was no way I would get GE. In my GE app I was totally up front and as I had a copy of my FBI rap sheet, I quoted the exact dates of my events. To say the least I am over the moon as I frequently travel internationally. It would be nice to have Nexus too but I'll take what I can get at this point.

I would be very cautious if your thinking about applying for Nexus. My story sounds very similar as yours. Only difference is that I apply for Nexus after I was approved for GE. Too make a long story short I was denied Nexus and my GE pass was Revoked. This happen last month. Mailed in appeal letter to CBP Ombudsman. Hope to hear back by the end of the year.

Last edited by dnLwire; Jan 10, 2015 at 2:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.