Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

That's an interesting theory, but it doesn't jibe with the facts as stated by Chrisinhouston. He was told by the agent that if he got a letter from the Georgia court, then he could be approved. If the issue was "lying" about the juvenile arrest, then a letter from the Georgia court would not cure the problem. The requesting of the letter suggests that is the arrest, not the failing to mention the arrest, that was the problem.

Originally Posted by mre5765
After your day in court you were not convicted. Thus, I think if you had told the truth, you would not have been denied, but it might have taken several weeks to be approved.

Global Entry requires members to be honest; the CBP is trusting you to tell the truth to the kiosk upon each entry. So the application was your first test, and from the CBP's perspective you failed it, even if it was a memory lapse.

While I am not as old as you and I've never been arrested, I recall every detention by a LEO whether just a speeding ticket or a LEO accusing me of theft. I'm sure I would remember an arrest.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Janus
I think there’s a big difference between crimes of one’s relatives, and crimes of one’s spouse. As the spouse can exert far more control over someone than virtually anyone else. For example: “Hey honey, I need you to smuggle some illegals into the US for me… Or else I’ll divorce you, take all your money, and keep the kids”.
There isn't a big difference, as people have been blocked for family associations that are non-spousal in nature.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
That's an interesting theory, but it doesn't jibe with the facts as stated by Chrisinhouston. He was told by the agent that if he got a letter from the Georgia court, then he could be approved. If the issue was "lying" about the juvenile arrest, then a letter from the Georgia court would not cure the problem. The requesting of the letter suggests that is the arrest, not the failing to mention the arrest, that was the problem.
If he had told the truth up front, then the CBP officer might have believed his dead docket story and left it at that.

People get arrested all the time, and are innocent. I fail to see why the CBP would deny an arrested person who came clean.

As for a juvenile arrest, was 17 juvenile for criminal purposes in Georgia in the 1970s?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There isn't a big difference, as people have been blocked for family associations that are non-spousal in nature.
I'll be the first to admit I don't follow FT on a daily basis. Do you have a link to some of these stories/articles?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Yes. Do a search in the forum. Various convictions within 10 years will result in a denial.
My understanding is that even a stale conviction will bar you from the program. The website asks if you have been convicted of any crime which has not been pardoned I know that a pardon does work.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
My understanding is that even a stale conviction will bar you from the program. The website asks if you have been convicted of any crime which has not been pardoned I know that a pardon does work.
This article implies that some stale convictions may be acceptable, at least for NEXUS. Unknown whether it still applies and YMMV:

http://www.thenorthernlight.com/news...or_nexus_cards

Saunders said that he’s always maintained that minor violations outside the NEXUS program should be given some consideration, “and now they are. It looks like if you have a misdemeanor over 10 years old then that’s no longer automatically disqualifying, nor are old customs violations involving fines as long as the amount wasn’t significant.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:04 pm

I am glad to hear it. I wish they were a littl more forthcoming about the eligibility requirements. It requires a lot of reverse engineering.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:17 pm

Will I get approved for Global Entry?

A bit embarrassed on my last international travel from Belgium. As usual, filling out customs form, I thought I didn't have any fruit (I never brought any), veggies etc, so I checked No to that question.

Later I realized that I have a sandwich in a zip-loc on my carry-on. I told a customs officer that's the case and I was sent to a full search. She wrote down cheese, ham in big red on my customs form. In the full search area, I handed my zip-loc and that was indeed everything. No charge or fine was imposed and I was on my way out in 2 mins.

Now obviously I falsely checked No to the customs form, so I'm wondering if I'll get denied on Global Entry even if I'm not charged with any fine. Will I have a chance or should I just forget about it?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I'd go ahead and try. The fact that you proactively caught your error, and identified the items, should help you out here.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
That field asks for FRESH fruits or veggies. It does not mean anything else. So, you did not have that. Anything cooked is fine.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:33 pm

At least there's some hope. I should have been clearer. My sister was nice enough to put a piece of lettuce in the sandwich and also include an apple in the same zip-loc. It's one of those where I told her I have plenty food on plane but was insisted that I should take what she made since my flight was at 7AM...
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Well, an older thread but the OP asked if anyone gets turned down.

Well I did!
Very interesting story. I just got approved this week, and the whole process was painless. I was very surprised as you have to give 5 years of address history and I haven't spent more than about 10 months in any one place, and about 18 months of the past years I've been living in the former Soviet Union. I thought for sure that would at least get a remark/question from the officer, but nope, she was very nice and asked me some questions about my profession and then told me on the spot I was approved.

To be frank someone who was arrested once as a minor but wasn't convicted of anything I would personally rate as a MUCH lower security threat than someone who spent a few years living in Russia (and not working for a Western company/embassy/etc.). But the CBP/TSA have their own logic I guess.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by drbobguy
But the CBP/TSA have their own logic I guess.
Global Entry is a CBP operation, no TSA role. While CBP are far from perfect, they're Poirot to TSA's Inspector Gadget.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:34 pm

I've read that you can now get Nexus with a minor arrest. There was some discussion about CBP liberalizing the standards somewhat. I also note that the question on prior records has been changed from have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense to have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense which has not been pardoned.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
I was denied, twice, first for FORGETTING to list a juvenile offence that i didnt think mattered as its sealed and over 10 years old. And then when i re-applied, because i HAD a juvenile offence. $200 down the drain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.