Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
I don't think I agree with your statement. I think the sort of violation they should be worried about is smuggling, misrepresenting value of goods brought into the country, that sort of thing. Basically, intentional violations. The fact that someone accidentally forgot a package of lunch meat - which no one in their right mind would WANT to bring since it would be spoiled anyway - shouldn't label that person untrustworthy, let alone the person's SPOUSE.
GE members receive less scrutiny at the border than regular travelers. One of the purposes of CBP inspections is to find prohibited items that travelers have brought in, whether intentionally or not. To grant you GE, and a less scrutinized passage across the border, CBP must be confident that there will be nothing prohibited in your luggage, since they won't have the opportunity to inspect your luggage at the border. The history they have on file did not give them that confidence, so you were denied.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I don't think I agree with your statement. I think the sort of violation they should be worried about is smuggling, misrepresenting value of goods brought into the country, that sort of thing. Basically, intentional violations.
Understood, and there's no doubt your story rings true. But I'd understand if CBP chose to draw a bright line for participation, and those with any customs violations, no matter how minor, unfortunately put some who probably didn't deserve it in the "denied" pool.

But that's what the ombudsperson is for. From what I've heard, it can take several months to get a response, and in the vast majority of cases it's a tight-lipped confirmation of the original denial.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
But that's what the ombudsperson is for. From what I've heard, it can take several months to get a response, and in the vast majority of cases it's a tight-lipped confirmation of the original denial.
That's disheartening. The denial letter says to contact the enrollment center and ask for an interview with a supervisor. I hope that i can at least meet with someone and explain. I've left two voicemails today, but no response yet. I will continue to call until I at least hear back from someone... fingers crossed...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:08 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My own experience - I have been a Global Entry member since 2011, and it was time to renew . . .
Isn't GE membership good for 5 years? Why would you have to renew 2 years later?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I don't think I agree with your statement. I think the sort of violation they should be worried about is smuggling, misrepresenting value of goods brought into the country, that sort of thing. Basically, intentional violations. The fact that someone accidentally forgot a package of lunch meat - which no one in their right mind would WANT to bring since it would be spoiled anyway - shouldn't label that person untrustworthy, let alone the person's SPOUSE.

I'm very sorry to hear about your denial, and hope they will give you a chance to learn why.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from the ombudsman???
While ordinarily I agree that even "minor" customs violations are appropriate basis for disqualification, I am somewhat sympathetic to an "innocent spouse"-like defense.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
That's disheartening. The denial letter says to contact the enrollment center and ask for an interview with a supervisor. I hope that i can at least meet with someone and explain. I've left two voicemails today, but no response yet. I will continue to call until I at least hear back from someone... fingers crossed...
I certainly had no luck there; the "team lead" refused to meet with me in person. I relayed that my denial letter had mentioned meeting with the local GE office as a first step, and she angrily suggested that's what our phone conversation was.

"Fine," I said, "let's talk about my case. I've never even had a minor brush with the law, so you can see how --"

But she cut me off, saying my only recourse was the ombudsperson. It left me frustrated as to why the bureaucracy is so unaccountable. Paradoxically, I think someone like yourself with a specific incident to point to may have a better time with an appeal. For all I know they've mixed me up with someone else, but they can't say whom.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Congrats! I have to say, all these approvals make me feel like the only person who's ever been denied. I'm certainly the only person on FT who was denied without having a clue as to why.

My partner -- the Episcopal priest and former federal employee with a basic security clearance -- has his interview this weekend. If he's denied too, we'll be even more dumbfounded.
Actually, in my research I found that it is relatively common to be denied/revoked without the person having any clue why. You're not the only one.

I wonder if GE has any idea how much anxiety this causes people, when they won't state a reason.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA
In 2011 I successfully enrolled in Global Entry and have enjoyed membership with no hiccups until now. I travel internationally an average of 10 times per year for work so the program is really valuable to me. Last month I got an email telling em my membership was due to expire so I started the renewal process. Yesterday I received two communications - one denying my renewal application, the other revoking my existing membership. The reason? A "2009 CBP violation". My initial reaction was ... but then I remembered - in 2009 the entire family traveled to France. On the way home, my husband was asleep so I filled out the customs form (didn't have Global Entry then). His luggage was flagged for search, and he had inadvertently packed lunch meat in his suitcase. He paid the fine - even had to go to the ATM with a custom agent because it was cheaper to pay cash.

Now I am being told that because I filled out the form on behalf of our family - even though the meat was not in my luggage and he admitted to mistakenly packing it - I not only cannot renew my Global Entry membership, I am FOREVER ineligible for any US trusted traveler program. I am baffled. Is anyone knowledgeable about this? What can I do???
So, it appeared that you were approved previously dispite the "2009 CBP violation". If there was a record, you wouldn't be approved in in the first place, let alone the renewal drama, am I missing anything?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by mike_L
So, it appeared that you were approved previously dispite the "2009 CBP violation". If there was a record, you wouldn't be approved in in the first place, let alone the renewal drama, am I missing anything?
No, I am confused by that as well. Add to that the fact that I have now left close to 10 voicemails at the Dulles Enrollment Center without a call back, and I'm getting positively paranoid.

No word from the ombudsman either but another FTers said it can take months. Hoping I will at least get a call back this century. I have several international flights in the near future and I'm concerned about additional screening (=delay), my connection times aren't so great.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: MP 1K
In 2011 I successfully enrolled in Global Entry and have enjoyed membership with no hiccups until now. I travel internationally an average of 10 times per year for work so the program is really valuable to me. Last month I got an email telling em my membership was due to expire so I started the renewal process. Yesterday I received two communications - one denying my renewal application, the other revoking my existing membership. The reason? A "2009 CBP violation". My initial reaction was ... but then I remembered - in 2009 the entire family traveled to France. On the way home, my husband was asleep so I filled out the customs form (didn't have Global Entry then). His luggage was flagged for search, and he had inadvertently packed lunch meat in his suitcase. He paid the fine - even had to go to the ATM with a custom agent because it was cheaper to pay cash.

Now I am being told that because I filled out the form on behalf of our family - even though the meat was not in my luggage and he admitted to mistakenly packing it - I not only cannot renew my Global Entry membership, I am FOREVER ineligible for any US trusted traveler program. I am baffled. Is anyone knowledgeable about this? What can I do???
You enrolled in GE during 2011. Global Entry membership is 5 years. Why would you be required to start the renewal process 21/2 to 3 years ahead of the expiration of your current membership? You are not even allowed to start the renewal process more than 1 year out. Makes no sense.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by bvipirate
You enrolled in GE during 2011. Global Entry membership is 5 years. Why would you be required to start the renewal process 21/2 to 3 years ahead of the expiration of your current membership? You are not even allowed to start the renewal process more than 1 year out. Makes no sense.
I don't get it either. I got the following email on May 15:

Your Trusted Traveler membership will be expiring soon. If you wish to renew your membership, you will need to log onto the GOES website at https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes to submit your renewal application.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.

So I went and started the renewal process...
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:24 pm

And here is the letter of approval I received:

Aug 23, 2011

WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
International Arrivals
Sterling, VA 20166
US

Re: You have been approved to participate in the Global Entry program Membership #XXXXXXXX

Dear XXXXXXXXXX :

We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Global Entry program membership has been approved. You may use the program as soon as you receive and activate your new Global Entry card.

If you enrolled in Global Entry, you may begin using the kiosk immediately. Global Entry cards are only issued to Global Entry members who are U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents or Mexican Nationals (who are not current SENTRI members). Global Entry cards are not valid at the Global Entry kiosks.

Please visit globalentry.gov to review the program criteria for detail information.

As a reminder, you must closely adhere to the program requirements and any violation of law or regulation may lead to the revocation of your program participation, and could result in the issuance of a penalty, seizure action, or criminal prosecution. Please periodically review the program requirements provided during your enrollment interview.

Thank you for applying to the CBP's Trusted Traveler Programs. For more information regarding Global Entry, please contact an enrollment center nearest you, or visit globalentry.gov.

Respectfully,

Director, Trusted Traveler Programs
U. S. Customs and Border Protection

Last edited by Jade_BR; Jun 11, 2013 at 2:26 pm Reason: Blanking out membership Number
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:26 pm

Ditto. Further, it appears that GE expires on ones birth date, not the 5-yr anniversary of the approval date. So if one is approved right after his/her birther day, the GE membership could be close to 6 years. For example, mine has a validity period of 5 years and 9 months.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:29 pm

That is correct. My expiration showed on the website as my birthday this year. But, as pointed out, that is only 2 years after my approval in 2011. I'm confused as heck.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I don't get it either. I got the following email on May 15:

Your Trusted Traveler membership will be expiring soon. If you wish to renew your membership, you will need to log onto the GOES website at https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes to submit your renewal application.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.

So I went and started the renewal process...
Speculation here, but perhaps CBP associated the violation with your GE profile and that triggered a renewal request that was a basis for denying your renewal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.