Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SWA
GE followed by dual citizenship - how to add?

I got my GE early this year. Then I was successful in getting another passport in July.

On the GOES website:
Can I add/change my citizenship through my GOES account?
No, You must go into a Trusted Traveler enrollment center if you need to change your citizenship or add a citizenship in the case of dual citizens.
Seems clear to me, so I went into the local enrollment center. They turned me away, saying I don't need to add anything to my record. Thinking I'd misread the website, I went home and checked again. But this seems clear, so I returned to the enrollment center and this time they got huffy with me and told me in no uncertain terms that I don't need to bring no stinking' passport in and they don't need to add it to my record.

I'm not too comfortable with this response. But I'm quite some distance from another enrollment center. How much effort should I be making to fix this? The second passport is from Colombia, a country in between high interest and benign.

Is there a way to get some documentation of being turned away in case this comes up during a border crossing? Or should I play dumb if this comes up? The later seems a lame excuse.

Last edited by LeeMKE; Oct 23, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:42 pm

P.S. I found a place from the GOES website, to send in a question about their website and just did that. They are quoting 2 - 3 weeks for a reply. That will be in time for my next international travel, so I hope to know something definitive (or at least have a document I can carry with me - just in case)
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
What country is your first passport from? If it's American, then there's not much use in having a second passport in the profile (since you can't enter the US using it), but in theory you are supposed to at least declare all citizenships (which you've effectively done).

I wouldn't worry too much about it: after all you've tried to declare it, and your email provides additional backup. Just don't use your new passport to try and enter the US if using GE.

Out of interest: which enrollment center is it? Most reports are that for US+other dual-citizens, many CBP officers won't care at all about the other citizenship, and actively ignore any second citizenships. But some officers do care and will at least add the citizenship (and passport, if available) to your profile during the initial interview. (For non-US dual citizens it seems they will accept a second passport, but that was only based on my asking during my interview - I haven't been able to actually test yet.)
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by televisor
Most reports are that for US+other dual-citizens, many CBP officers won't care at all about the other citizenship, and actively ignore any second citizenships. But some officers do care and will at least add the citizenship (and passport, if available) to your profile during the initial interview.
Whether that's a bug or a feature, we've been frustrated from time to time when one officer makes a definitive statement and another one at a later date makes a contradictory statement. I agree that keeping a copy of the e-mail tucked in with your, ahem, discreetly packed second passport should document that you made the effort.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:57 pm

Whether that's a bug or a feature, we've been frustrated from time to time when one officer makes a definitive statement and another one at a later date makes a contradictory statement. I agree that keeping a copy of the e-mail tucked in with your, ahem, discreetly packed second passport should document that you made the effort.
Yup. My concern exactly. Hope to have a piece of paper soon, and that will give me some backup in case there are questions.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:05 pm

If your Canadian too its also important to pick which one you want to have on your card.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by LeeMKE
I got my GE early this year. Then I was successful in getting another passport in July.

On the GOES website:

Seems clear to me, so I went into the local enrollment center. They turned me away, saying I don't need to add anything to my record. Thinking I'd misread the website, I went home and checked again. But this seems clear, so I returned to the enrollment center and this time they got huffy with me and told me in no uncertain terms that I don't need to bring no stinking' passport in and they don't need to add it to my record.

I'm not too comfortable with this response. But I'm quite some distance from another enrollment center. How much effort should I be making to fix this? The second passport is from Colombia, a country in between high interest and benign.

Is there a way to get some documentation of being turned away in case this comes up during a border crossing? Or should I play dumb if this comes up? The later seems a lame excuse.
I tried to add another passport as I thought the same as you. Miami office said only Passports that qualify for global entry can be added. The website is not very clear.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bruceba
I tried to add another passport as I thought the same as you. Miami office said only Passports that qualify for global entry can be added. The website is not very clear.
The letter of conditional approval is clearer:
[Y]ou must bring with you the following original documents to the enrollment center:

A valid passport or permanent resident card. If you travel using more than one passport, please bring them to the interview so that the information can be added to your file. This provides you with the ability to use either passport at the Global Entry kiosk.
Since a US citizen is not supposed to enter the US using a foreign passport, adding the details of a second passport for dual nationals serves no practical purpose.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
The letter of conditional approval is clearer:
Since a US citizen is not supposed to enter the US using a foreign passport, adding the details of a second passport for dual nationals serves no practical purpose.
That is how unclear it is. I showed the officer in MIA those exact words and he said it meant only passports that qualify for global entry could be added. And I am not a US citizen.

Last edited by bruceba; Oct 25, 2016 at 8:50 pm Reason: add
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bruceba
I showed the officer in MIA those exact words and he said it meant only passports that qualify for global entry could be added. And I am not a US citizen.
That makes sense.

What's the point of adding a passport that can't be used in the Global Entry kiosk?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
As someone who just became Canadian, I was was wondering if it's possible to add my Canadian passport to my global entry account (was setup under my British passport)? I haven't got around to getting nexus yet.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by TWA884
That makes sense.

What's the point of adding a passport that can't be used in the Global Entry kiosk?
Why would the GE kiosk not accept other passports? All it's doing is reading a number (identity verification is fingerprint based)?

FWIW I was told I could add a non-GE eligible passport, but that's from a friendly ESTA eligible country that is in talks to allow GE for its citizens. I haven't actually got that citizenship and passport yet though, so who knows what will happen once I actually try to add it.

Now if it's a passport from a non-ESTA eligible country there's probably not much value in it, but for multi-citizens of multiple ESTA eligible countries it's potentially useful to have them there.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by televisor
Why would the GE kiosk not accept other passports? All it's doing is reading a number (identity verification is fingerprint based)?

FWIW I was told I could add a non-GE eligible passport, but that's from a friendly ESTA eligible country that is in talks to allow GE for its citizens. I haven't actually got that citizenship and passport yet though, so who knows what will happen once I actually try to add it.

Now if it's a passport from a non-ESTA eligible country there's probably not much value in it, but for multi-citizens of multiple ESTA eligible countries it's potentially useful to have them there.
I have dual British and Irish citizenship, and only the British is eligible for GE. I was specifically told at my interview that attempting to use the Irish passport in a GE kiosk would be a technical violation of the terms of the program, possibly resulting in the approval being revoked. That passport was completely ignored during the interview, too.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lord Varys
I have dual British and Irish citizenship, and only the British is eligible for GE. I was specifically told at my interview that attempting to use the Irish passport in a GE kiosk would be a technical violation of the terms of the program, possibly resulting in the approval being revoked. That passport was completely ignored during the interview, too.
That sounds like BS made up by the CBP officer. Even the website mentions about adding multiple passports for dual citizens.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I am a dual US/Irish citizen. I disclosed my dual citizenship on my GE application but was never asked about it after that, and never asked to provide passport information.

My guess is that in the dual UK/Irish case, they want you to use the UK passport so that they can confirm you're still a UK citizen and thereby eligible to use the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.