Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Dual Citizen- Global Entry profile questions

There is an entire forum dedicated to Trusted Traveler programs. perhaps that forum would have some information
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
No, CBP now has knowledge of both documents (and, I also submitted both sets of my documents when applying, and still have NEXUS/GE.)
I see nothing else to declare here.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
<snip> I applied for Global Entry when I was a US Permanent Resident. <snip> I recently became a US citizen and am now a dual citizen. Went to update passport info to CBP office. Officer entered the US passport <snip>.

Now the US passport shows up in my GE profile under both Citizenship and document of admissibility on the Trusted Traveler Enrollment Program page.
<snip>
I guess this is a redundant question. Do I have to do anything else in letting CBP know I'm a dual citizen for Global Entry purposes? Should my birth country passport also be listed on the main GE profile page either under Citizenship and Admissibility?

I heard GE can be revoked for many silly reasons. I hope this is not one of them. <snip>
I was thinking about your questions and can appreciate why you're concerned. But you've already informed CBP so I think you're fine.

Keep in mind that when entering any country, individuals who are citizens of that country MUST use that country's passport. The update in the Global Entry system superseding your EU nationality therefore makes sense - you're no longer a foreigner but an American, so you can ONLY use a US passport to enter the US. You should not be using your EU passport because that misrepresents your US citizenship status. If you use the GE card to enter, it's now substituting for your US passport.

I don't think there's any need to replace the GE card since the master record of your nationality is stored in the CBP computers. Whatever is there is going to supersede whatever's printed on it. If you want to be able to show US nationality in a portable form, order a US passport card or upgrade to an enhanced drivers license if your state offers it. Either will fit your wallet.

What's more important is your ability to update the US passport information. As long as you can do that, I think you're good.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
I have dual, and everything works out just fine for me! If only you could jus tuse your forgien passport to enter the country
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - All that matters is that your GE (TTN) is properly associated with your US Passport. As a USN, you are required by US law to enter the US as a USN on your US Passport.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
Keep in mind that when entering any country, individuals who are citizens of that country MUST use that country's passport.
While probably well-intentioned, you are talking nonsense. This statement is incorrect.

There are some countries that require their citizens to enter with that country's passport, but this is not universally the case. The most obvious example (and I'm surprised you missed this) is citizens of member countries of the EU, who may, under many circumstances, have acquired a second EU citizenship. They may enter any EU country using any of their EU passports. Just one example but there are many.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
True - sorry about that. I don't know Europe so I am happy to defer to your knowledge and experience.

I made a categorical remark based on the two places I spend the most time. The US is definitely a place where US citizens must enter based on their nationality; I assumed all other countries were the same. Singapore is the other place where I spend a lot of time, it does not recognize dual citizenship so the possession of a second passport doesn't even come up.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Keep in mind that when entering any country, individuals who are citizens of that country MUST use that country's passport.
While probably well-intentioned, you are talking nonsense. This statement is incorrect.

There are some countries that require their citizens to enter with that country's passport, but this is not universally the case. The most obvious example (and I'm surprised you missed this) is citizens of member countries of the EU, who may, under many circumstances, have acquired a second EU citizenship. They may enter any EU country using any of their EU passports. Just one example but there are many.
Very true. On the NZ immigration card is a box "NZ citizen entering on another countries passport" or words to that effect (the box I tick)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was thinking about your questions and can appreciate why you're concerned. But you've already informed CBP so I think you're fine.

Keep in mind that when entering any country, individuals who are citizens of that country MUST use that country's passport. The update in the Global Entry system superseding your EU nationality therefore makes sense - you're no longer a foreigner but an American, so you can ONLY use a US passport to enter the US. You should not be using your EU passport because that misrepresents your US citizenship status. If you use the GE card to enter, it's now substituting for your US passport.

I don't think there's any need to replace the GE card since the master record of your nationality is stored in the CBP computers. Whatever is there is going to supersede whatever's printed on it. If you want to be able to show US nationality in a portable form, order a US passport card or upgrade to an enhanced drivers license if your state offers it. Either will fit your wallet.

What's more important is your ability to update the US passport information. As long as you can do that, I think you're good.
Note that you don't use your GE card to enter; you use your passport (with few exceptions). When you arrive at most major USA international airports, having GE entitles you to use the GE kiosks (where you insert your (USA) passport) and enables you to skip the lines.

I agree with the advice to get a passport card. IMO everyone who has a USA passport should also pay the additional small fee to get the passport card too.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 3, 2016 at 11:37 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe my response was a bit harsh, but I'm very often frustrated by advice given, especially in respect of passport/visa information, which, if not completely correct, can cause more damage than simple ignorance. I think that a lot of newcomers here should be forced to read a disclaimer upon joining that this is an internet chat room, not always a 100% reliable source of information. Often we do better than the official sources, but sometimes we give unchecked and bad advice.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk TurboTurtle.

As pointed out earlier, we have a dedicated forum for Trusted Travelers. We'll relocate your post to this forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Originally Posted by downinit
For those with dual citizenship, did you acknowledge this during the application/interview? I know the USA does not recognize dual citizenship, but I am wondering if either hiding it or mentioning it would cause one to be disqualified. I asked during my interview and he said it would not disqualify, but I wanted to make sure before my friend applies. The non-USA citizenship was obtained by birth, the USA was naturalized. Thank you.
Yes- I told the interview officer that I was also a Canadian citizen. Everything went smooth.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Wink

Originally Posted by downinit
For those with dual citizenship, did you acknowledge this during the application/interview? I know the USA does not recognize dual citizenship, but I am wondering if either hiding it or mentioning it would cause one to be disqualified. I asked during my interview and he said it would not disqualify, but I wanted to make sure before my friend applies. The non-USA citizenship was obtained by birth, the USA was naturalized. Thank you.
I'll tell you right now that the TSA knows everything about you, and if you lie about it, they will pretty much automatically disqualify you.

They're disqualifying people who even honestly admit to an arrest 40 years ago, so you better believe they'll DQ you if they catch you lying, or simply omitting information you've "forgotten."

Last edited by GlobalMatt; Jul 31, 2016 at 5:08 pm Reason: wanted to edit a link, and make my statement clearer/more understandable
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by meunger11
I'll tell you right now that the TSA knows everything about you, and if you lie about it, they will pretty much automatically disqualify you.

They're disqualifying people who even honestly admit to an arrest 40 years ago, so you better believe they'll DQ you if they catch you lying, or simply omitting information you've "forgotten."
I can tell you right now that I am a dual national and the other nationality (obtained at birth) was not disclosed. Approved for GE and subsequently NEXUS as well.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by seawolf
I can tell you right now that I am a dual national and the other nationality (obtained at birth) was not disclosed. Approved for GE and subsequently NEXUS as well.
Well done! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.