Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AJCU
What is your reasoning? I am looking for applying. I have Polish and American. I am amazed at how long it takes to get through immigration here in the US compared to the 15 seconds that it takes when I am in Europe. GE would be great...so, disclose, or not?
I'd suggest disclosing it, at least when dealing with the US/CBP if/when it comes up.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
When you arrive in the USA, use GE, get a secondary, and they find your second passport, you will lose GE because you didn't declare your second citizenship.
luckily I don't need my HK Passport for HK or China immigration.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
When you arrive in the USA, use GE, get a secondary, and they find your second passport, you will lose GE because you didn't declare your second citizenship.
Not true. I forgot to declare one of mine on the application and it's never been a problem.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Not true. I forgot to declare one of mine on the application and it's never been a problem.
Do tell. So you had a secondary, CBP found your second passport, and then what happened?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Do tell. So you had a secondary, CBP found your second passport, and then what happened?
As I said, nothing at all.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by mangoMan
I started my GE application on GOES. I have US and German citizenship. I clicked the 'add citizenship' button to add my German citizenship but forgot that my German passport is expired, so I couldn't use it to verify my citizenship in the next application step. It's the only doc I have to verify my German citizenship.

So I figured I'd delete my German citizenship, but when I did that a warning came on the screen saying if I deleted a citizenship I could be denied GE. Not wanting to risk it, I didn't delete my German citizenship from the application.

My new German passport is in process, but could take 4-6 weeks and I'm in a hurry to get conditionally approved as I will have to carefully monitor interview cancellations (at SFO) in order to get final approval before a trip on July 1st.

Any advice? I think I am stuck waiting until my new German passport arrives.
So I ended up cancelling my application and restarting it a couple days later without adding my German citizenship. I did this rather than delete the German citizenship for reason in bold above. Not really sure it makes a difference but it felt 'safer'. Assuming I get the conditional approval, I will then declare my German citizenship at the interview, assuming my new German passport has arrived by then.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
As I said, nothing at all.
And so based on your experience, you recommend that GE applicants not disclose second citizenships?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
This is 100% speculation.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
This is 100% speculation.
Not only is it 100% speculation, the speculation runs contrary to what routinely happens as a result of discovery of such at secondary: nothing more than a cursory examination if even that.

And so based on your experience, you recommend that GE applicants not disclose second citizenships?
If it comes up, then disclose. If it doesn't come up, then it doesn't.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: BA, VIrgin
[Long time lurker]

I have just filled out the GOES Global Entry application and I too am completely confused by the citizenship section. I am a US citizen but I live in the UK and recently acquired UK citizenship. I've completed the US citizenship / documentation section ... but then, when clicking on the "add citizenship" button I see the following message:

"You may no longer be eligible for the Trusted Traveler Program you selected if you add a citizenship. [...edit...]

If you carry more than one country of citizenship, you will have the opportunity to add additional countries later on."

I have been through the application several times and there is NO opportunity to add a second citizenship.

I also have a PDF of a "how to complete a Global Entry application" powerpoint from May 2008 apparently published by US Customs & Border Protection that has instructions for an additional screen: "Do you wish to add another country of citizenship?"

This section is missing from the current 2014 Global Entry application.

So now I am hopelessly and utterly confused.

It looks like the "add another country of citizenship" field has been deleted for those who provide US as primary citizenship, but the "you can add it later" notes have not. I can't figure out however whether I should be providing the second citizenship.

Anybody been through this lately? Any advice?

Last edited by DryManhattan; Apr 27, 2014 at 6:51 am Reason: Edited for accuracy
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DryManhattan
[Long time lurker]

I have just filled out the GOES Global Entry application and I too am completely confused by the citizenship section. I am a US citizen but I live in the UK and recently acquired UK citizenship. I've completed the US citizenship / documentation section ... but then, when clicking on the "add citizenship" button I see the following message:

"You may no longer be eligible for the Trusted Traveler Program you selected if you add a citizenship. [...edit...]

If you carry more than one country of citizenship, you will have the opportunity to add additional countries later on."

I have been through the application several times and there is NO opportunity to add a second citizenship.

I also have a PDF of a "how to complete a Global Entry application" powerpoint from May 2008 apparently published by US Customs & Border Protection that has instructions for an additional screen: "Do you wish to add another country of citizenship?"

It looks like the "add another country of citizenship" field has been deleted for those who provide US as primary citizenship, but the "you can add it later" notes have not. I can't figure out however whether I should be providing the second citizenship.

Just apply as US citizen and do the dual-citizenship mention/evidentiary thing at the enrollment center.

Personally, my recommendation to dual-US citizens or those US citizens intending to naturalize as a non-US national while keeping US citizenship is to submit formal notification to the US embassy/consulate and State in DC making them aware that you never intended nor intend to relinquish US citizenship by becoming also a citizen of the foreign country and using those non-US travel docs. And especially for GE members/applicants who have or intend to have dual-citizenship status. While this isn't necessary according to US admin protocols for State, it's the safer way to do it given some of the shenanigans that have gone on since the fall of 2001.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by DryManhattan
[Long time lurker]

Odd. I just went thru this with my kid's applications and was able to add their German citizenship after filling out the US citizenship stuff. Seemed to work fine. I did not see the warning message you saw. Maybe it has something to do with having a UK address? Just a guess...
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:37 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Personally, my recommendation to dual-US citizens or those US citizens intending to naturalize as a non-US national while keeping US citizenship is to submit formal notification to the US embassy/consulate and State in DC making them aware that you never intended nor intend to relinquish US citizenship by becoming also a citizen of the foreign country and using those non-US travel docs. And especially for GE members/applicants who have or intend to have dual-citizenship status. While this isn't necessary according to US admin protocols for State, it's the safer way to do it given some of the shenanigans that have gone on since the fall of 2001.
Having just renewed my US passport for the second time after acquiring Irish citizenship, I attached a short explanatory note specifically stating my intention to retain US citizenship and that my behavior (continuous US residence, tax filing, etc) since that acquisition has been completely consistent with this intention.

When I did my NEXUS application a couple of years ago I included both the US and IE document info, and showed both at my interview. Neither CBSA nor CBP raised an eyebrow.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
For information:
I disclosed my Polish passport, and was not asked a single thing about it. Did my interview in Denver. I am also a student so i would imagine that I appear to be low risk.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Global Entry Interview questions for naturalized citizen?

My wife is a naturalized US citizen, and has approved dual citizenship from her country of origin. She is scheduled for a Global Entry interview, and we're wondering if she needs to bring her non US passport to the interview in addition to her US passport, or if she'll even be asked about dual citizenship.

Does anyone have any insight or experience?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.