Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Moved back to Canada - can I still use Nexus?

Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

I have a Nexus card that is still valid - fortuitously, I renewed it in January 2020. I feel like I'm the last person standing with an unexpired card. Anyway, I was a US Green Card holder (CDN citizen) and last year I moved back to Canada. I did not renounce my Green Card, but it's been over a year since I've been back so I can no longer use it for immigration purposes. I need to get a Nexus interview in order to update my residency status. I'm stalking the site for openings in either Niagara Falls or Detroit so I can either walk across or take transit across the border and then come back as I don't own a car and understandably, I'm having a hard time convincing people this would be a great road trip.

While I'm waiting for a time slot to magically appear, I'm set to book a flight over Christmas, which would transit through the US. I would LOVE to be able to use Nexus, Pre-Check and GE on this trip, but I don't want to get in trouble because my documentation is out of date. I have changed my mailing address online already so signaled my intent to update CBP and CBSA, but just can't get the interview slot. I figure that I would walk in like I owned the place and go ahead and use the machines and let someone direct me to the regular line. Thoughts? Or am I asking for my Nexus card to be cancelled for an infraction?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ellnm
I have a Nexus card that is still valid - fortuitously, I renewed it in January 2020. I feel like I'm the last person standing with an unexpired card. Anyway, I was a US Green Card holder (CDN citizen) and last year I moved back to Canada. I did not renounce my Green Card, but it's been over a year since I've been back so I can no longer use it for immigration purposes. I need to get a Nexus interview in order to update my residency status. I'm stalking the site for openings in either Niagara Falls or Detroit so I can either walk across or take transit across the border and then come back as I don't own a car and understandably, I'm having a hard time convincing people this would be a great road trip.

While I'm waiting for a time slot to magically appear, I'm set to book a flight over Christmas, which would transit through the US. I would LOVE to be able to use Nexus, Pre-Check and GE on this trip, but I don't want to get in trouble because my documentation is out of date. I have changed my mailing address online already so signaled my intent to update CBP and CBSA, but just can't get the interview slot. I figure that I would walk in like I owned the place and go ahead and use the machines and let someone direct me to the regular line. Thoughts? Or am I asking for my Nexus card to be cancelled for an infraction?
While the web site allows anyone to search for interview slots, it is only possible to actually make an interview reservation if one has an active (new membership or renewal) application pending.

Updating your existing membership with your new citizenship documents does NOT require an appointment, and in fact it is NOT possible to create an appointment for such a reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.