Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Experiences and Questions Asked in the Interview

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Experiences and Questions Asked in the Interview

Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by greglvnv
So here is my full account of what happened at my GE interview at LAS airport today.

I came in about 15 minutes early thinking there would be a wait time. A CBP officer happened to just walk up to the window and she took me right in. The room was small with just two desks but the other officer did not walk in until we were done with the interview.
CBP: Can I see your passport and a drivers license?
Me: Would you like to see my Polish passport as well?
CBP: No, just the US one. We don't recognize dual nationality and you have to use your US passport to enter the US. Are you still currently employed and what do you do for work? Is your address on the drivers license correct?
Me: Yes, I am and yes it is.
CBP: On your application, you indicated that you had one misdemeanor. Do you have your disposition papers?
Me: Yes, this is my expungement letter and this is the order of sealing records.
CBP: I'm not interested in the expungement letter. You realize that for federal purposes, we don't recognize expungements?
Me: Yes, I do.
CBP: For this program, we do not allow any misdemeanors on your record but since it was over 10 years ago, you are still allowed to participate in the program, however you need to realize that any arrest from this point forward will disqualify you from participation.
Me: I understand.
(She made a copy of my order to seal records and gave back the original. Also, I later noticed online that she entered my passport issue date in the application itself. I did not enter it since it was not a mandatory field.)
CBP: Please look at the camera. I'm going to take your picture. Also, please place your fingers on the scanner blah blah.
Your card with arrive in 7 to 10 business days, however you can start using the program as of tomorrow. She went on to explain how to enter the US using the program.

Then I asked her a couple of questions:
1) Should I use my PASSID now or TT from TSA for Pre? She said I can use my TT until it expires and then I can switch to the KTN but there is nothing stopping me from using my PASSID right away and I should not waste my money to renew the TT even though two programs are totally separate.
2) Can I drive into the US from Canada using the Nexus lane? (I knew the answer to this question but wanted to ask anyway. I don't think she gave me the correct info on this one) She said that Nexus is a Canadian program and I need to apply directly with them but if I want to use the Nexus lane into the US for now, I would need to register my vehicle with a Nexus enrollment center. Again, I don't think this was correct info.

So, this was my experience today. Let me share the timeline as well:
7/11 - applied
7/24 - conditionally approved
7/24 - checked for appointments and nothing til 10/03 but I checked it multiple times a day and rescheduled about 5 times before getting the 8/01 interview.
8/01 - Approved

Hope this clarifies the process a bit.
I used LAS as well, as part of a mileage run. Finding the office was challenging, an airport employee eventually had to walk me around the pathway outside the building to point it out. There's a very small office with two desks pushed up against each other face-to-face; I was interviewed by a guy, while a gal at the other desk tried hard to avoid paying attention to what we were saying. I got the vibe that he wanted to get done as fast as possible to get back to his crossword puzzle, book, or whatever.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
i was asked to confirm i still work for XXXXXX, then asked if i had a criminal record and if i broke and UK or US customs laws, other than that she asked if i was enjoying my vacation, in and out in minutes.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:36 pm

I went to IAD yesterday. I had a late October booking, but kept an eye out about twice a day, and was fortunate to grab one just before I leave the US for almost two months.

The waiting room sign was quite clear - no walk-ins. Nonetheless, a couple was waiting for a free slot. They'd been there a while, it seemed, and when an agent came in from outside they asked him loudly when they would be seen. He confirmed that they didn't have an appointment, and said there was no guarantee that they would get in. The couple then made a tactical error, and started to argue, and say that they had seen gaps in the booking system. This made him pretty mad - I thought he was going to tell them to go away. But he just snarled at them and went inside. I suspect he was just going to let them wait. Which would have been interesting, as they were travelling out of the US in a couple of hours. They were very demanding that they needed GE for this trip. Entitled.

Before going in the agent asked if anyone had not given over their passport. I gave him my two, and he said he only asked for one. I said that the online system asked for one then said to take the other as both would become GE relevant. This seemed to give him some grief, and he said loudly 'well where do you live'? I said 'here in DC' and he shut up and went inside.

When my turn came, I was seen, fortunately, by an older guy, very friendly. He asked me just one question. "Do you have your green card with you"? I gave it to him, he chatted a little, then shook my hand and said "you're all fine". In and out in four minutes.

That part was excellent. The waiting room was annoying, there was a continuous tape on what to do on entry into the US. At full volume. Stuck to the bottom of the screen was a hand-written note saying not to adjust volume or turn the TV off. Otherwise I would have done the latter.

Overall, quick and efficient.

Last edited by Craig; Aug 20, 2016 at 10:22 pm
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: DL GM
My interview consisted two questions. The first confirmed my employment (with a large tech company), the second was whether or not I watched "Silicon Valley". After I said that I don't have HBO, the remainder of the interview was spent discussing the merits of television streaming services. Oh, and there was a brief explanation of how to use the Kiosk, and where its located in the airport.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Was asked to confirm where I lived, if I had broken any CBP laws/regulations, If I visited Canada/Mexico in the last five years, and if I ever had been arrested. Was in and out in about 5 minutes.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dis, IHG Gold.
I got asked a lot of questions;
1) spell your full name,
2) why are you applying for global entry?
3) what is the nature of your employment?
4) purpose of your trip to Turkey
5) purpose of your trip to Thailand
6) purpose of your trip to south Korea,
7) travel to Canada or Mexico?
8) nature of such travel?
... This went on for the full 15 min.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JShLin
I got asked a lot of questions;
1) spell your full name,
2) why are you applying for global entry?
3) what is the nature of your employment?
4) purpose of your trip to Turkey
5) purpose of your trip to Thailand
6) purpose of your trip to south Korea,
7) travel to Canada or Mexico?
8) nature of such travel?
... This went on for the full 15 min.
Wow I'm suprised about that one.. I lived in both Egypt and Turkey for work and they never even mentioned it
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:50 pm

Had my interview at JFK yesterday, was barely asked anything. It looked like they were running about 15 minutes late, no biggie. The officer was very sweet. She asked for my passport and drivers license, took my fingerprints and gave me some instructions on what to do when I re-enter into the country the next time. She also asked me when my next trip was (Australia) and she was genuinely excited for me because she said Australia is the only other country in the world that recognizes Global Entry, but recommended that I read up on it (I haven't).

I then asked her a few questions which she patiently answered. Appointment took less than 10 minutes and I received my email notification within 15 minutes of walking out of the interview.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by suziemay
She also asked me when my next trip was (Australia) and she was genuinely excited for me because she said Australia is the only other country in the world that recognizes Global Entry, but recommended that I read up on it (I haven't).
This used to be true but now isn't. There was an arrangement where if you were a US Passport holder with Global Entry registration you could use SmartGate (automated passport control). SmartGate is now open to all US Passport holders (and a number of other nationalities as well) with an ePassport. I believe New Zealand still has an expedited lane for those US Passport holders with Global Entry, but you have to have the Global Entry card in hand to use that lane.

This isn't a catch all because of course you can have Global Entry (as a permanent resident or via an arrangement with your country's government) but not have a US Passport.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by Majuki
This used to be true but now isn't. There was an arrangement where if you were a US Passport holder with Global Entry registration you could use SmartGate (automated passport control). SmartGate is now open to all US Passport holders (and a number of other nationalities as well) with an ePassport. I believe New Zealand still has an expedited lane for those US Passport holders with Global Entry, but you have to have the Global Entry card in hand to use that lane.

This isn't a catch all because of course you can have Global Entry (as a permanent resident or via an arrangement with your country's government) but not have a US Passport.
Maybe you know if they will let you use the same lane in New Zealand with a Nexus card?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Maybe you know if they will let you use the same lane in New Zealand with a Nexus card?
I have not been to NZ, so I can't comment there.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:46 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Majuki
I believe New Zealand still has an expedited lane for those US Passport holders with Global Entry, but you have to have the Global Entry card in hand to use that lane.
Last time I was at AKL, earlier this year, there was no such line. All US passport holders could use SmartGate.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

Please let's get back on topic, that is: "What Questions Do They Ask in a Global Entry Interview?"

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
u

Then I asked her a couple of questions:
1) Should I use my PASSID now or TT from TSA for Pre? She said I can use my TT until it expires and then I can switch to the KTN but there is nothing stopping me from using my PASSID right away and I should not waste my money to renew the TT even though two programs are totally separate.
2) Can I drive into the US from Canada using the Nexus lane? (I knew the answer to this question but wanted to ask anyway. I don't think she gave me the correct info on this one) She said that Nexus is a Canadian program and I need to apply directly with them but if I want to use the Nexus lane into the US for now, I would need to register my vehicle with a Nexus enrollment center. Again, I don't think this was correct info.
Yes you can go from Canada into the US using Nexus, but you can't use Nexus going into Canada unless you do an interview with Canada's CBSA and get approved.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage
So just had my interview today.
Walked in to sign in, approached by a CBP officer and was asked if I was here for GE, and took me in for the interview. Asked my name, and if I was dual citizen (US citizen living abroad.) After that he confirmed my address, and was out of there in less than 5 min. By the time I got back to my car, got fully approved

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.