Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by rtaheri
... late September was the earliest date available in SFO. What happens to our Global Entry status between now and the interview date?

Thanks,
Reza
Your wife's GE as you found out is expired. Yours is valid until its expiration date. I thought SFO was scheduling interviews 24/7 until sometime in August?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP; HHonors Diamond
Slightly different scenario for me, but maybe this is useful to some. My GE subscription expired last month, so I applied for renewal on 5/31. My approval came in this morning 6/25 with no interview required. Those 3 weeks without pre-check were horrendous and I'm so happy to have it back!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm happy to say that my GE renewal was approved without an interview.

I had been concerned because when I logged in and first looked at what was required for the renewal, a red message popped up saying that renewal would (definitely, not might) require a new interview.

In the meantime, I had visited a couple new slightly naughty countries, although my overall travel pattern didn't change: Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand instead of Turkey and additional trips to China rather than Russia.

ADDED. My approval letter came from JFK, which is where I did my initial interview, before MSP had GE.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 27, 2016 at 12:57 pm
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I applied for RENEWAL on June 8th at about 6 pm and was approved for renewal without a new interview about an hour ago, around 1 pm on June 27th. I'm so happy not to have to stalk the appointment (non)availability at MSP, drive to the Canadian border, or fly to some place with interviews available around a heavy summer travel schedule.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I applied for RENEWAL on June 8th at about 6 pm and was approved for renewal without a new interview about an hour ago, around 1 pm on June 27th. I'm so happy not to have to stalk the appointment (non)availability at MSP, drive to the Canadian border, or fly to some place with interviews available around a heavy summer travel schedule.
If you are willing to drive to Canadian border, you should apply for NEXUS at half of the price instead of renewing your Global Entry.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Considering you can apply for renewal up to 6 months before your expiration date I don't think they are being too unfair on this.
I tend to agree, although they might keep it valid once you've submitted a renewal application. I suppose the problem is someone might delay their interview forever so that they never have a basis to reject (although that could be handled by providing only a short extension - e.g. 60 days).
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
I tend to agree, although they might keep it valid once you've submitted a renewal application. I suppose the problem is someone might delay their interview forever so that they never have a basis to reject (although that could be handled by providing only a short extension - e.g. 60 days).
The problem is that there's no warning about the amount of time required or the lack of availability of interview appointments. Most of us remember applying about five years ago, when approval took several days to a week in most cases and interviews were readily available at all locations. There's a natural tendency to expect that renewal will be even faster and easier, but it isn't now due to the long TSA lines leading to so many applications.

Unless someone has been following this sub forum on FT, he/she would have no way of knowing what to expect about current processing and interview times.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
If someone successfully applied previously and has been using GE for close to five years without incident, where an incident would mean being immediately kicked out of the program, it's hard to imagine a reason for rejection short of an arrest or conviction in the meantime. So I would hope that someone with a pending renewal or a conditional approval for the renewal would be given the courtesy of GE continuing until processing of their renewal can be completed, especially if they answer no to a question about whether they became a criminal during the last five years.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem is that there's no warning about the amount of time required or the lack of availability of interview appointments.

Unless someone has been following this sub forum on FT, he/she would have no way of knowing what to expect about current processing and interview times.
This is what I find interesting and frustrating: my wife and I both DID get a headsup email from DHS in March, when they were already backed up into September. I missed the addition of 24X7 interviews until those were gone within days of the announcement.

Now, my birthday is months after hers, but we both got the warning email on the same day. Looking back, we both applied for GE in March 2011. So, they are sending the warnings 5 years after the application date, which could be only days before the actual expiration, depending on your birthday. It would have been nice to get a warning 6 months before the birthday!

Any experiences with walking in for an interview at the SFO office? What time of day is best?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by rtaheri
Any experiences with walking in for an interview at the SFO office? What time of day is best?
Please discuss walk-in interviews here:
Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Go into the manage funtion and renew is a button on top in goes
Mine's not there. No place in my profile do I see where I can renew my membership, which expires 10/17. Help?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Digisci
Mine's not there. No place in my profile do I see where I can renew my membership, which expires 10/17. Help?
You can only renew within 6 months of the expiration; you've got over a year left.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Starfish
I still think you are better off declaring then lying. Some agents will deny you right away for lying. The fact that you haven't been denied is a good sign.

It is possible anyone who marks anything may be sent through a different process. Just guessing but they can easily deny you so I wouldn't worry too much if you are still pending.

I had people apply after me who were approved a few days before me. No rhyme or reason. It is nerve wracking - I know!
The processing time might depend on the office that processes your application. At least for renewals, the approval or conditional approval letters seem to be coming from different places. In my case, the renweal approval letter came from the place where I did my initial GE interview about five years ago (not where I was living then or now), but the one someone posted in the wiki for the GE renewal thread is from a different place.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Applied for renewal on June 19.
Conditional Approval received on July 8.
First open interview date at IAD was September 9.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
GE Renewal- what % do not get interviewed?

My renewal earlier this year required a repeat interview. The wife just renewed and no mention of an interview. The new expiration date is 5 years in the future. Anyone have a notion as to what percentage of renewals do not get interviewed? Is it just random or are there algorithms determining the process? I do have many nmore foreign trips than she does fwiw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.