Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The The BA Y+ and Y class Long Haul Experience (LHR-BKK/SIN-SYD and back)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The The BA Y+ and Y class Long Haul Experience (LHR-BKK/SIN-SYD and back)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:11 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Nice report as usual ^ Good to see that BA can be consistent in service delivery across 4 x flights...looking fwd to your return to *A!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 2:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

An absolute joy to read - just love the ghetto IFE
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:27 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well you are a braver man that I am Kevin. Even for such a steal I couldn't manage the trip home in Y anymore. I get really ansi after about 7.5 hours and would be climbing the ceiling on the long sectors.

Interesting description of the orange juice.

The “Orange Juice” which in its loosest term may had seen an organ in some previous life, but was very...
Just what organ did it see in a previous life?

Nice photo of the chardonnay BTW. What next? Will you be taking pictures of half eaten food.

Entertaining report as ever. ^
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:21 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Outstanding report! Thanks for all the details! ^
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Super stuff as usual Kevincm. How nice to read a BA report from the lower classes it's been so long since I've sampled those parts of the aircraft.
I'm sure I can send you back there quickly HIDDY. What was impressive was the constantly delivered service in both cabins for 4 sectors - a sign that if an airline and its crew want to do it - they can!

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I really enjoyed this very nice trip report! It was fantastic. Although I have flown economy all my life, since Sep 2008, I have never flown economy international travel. I've always been upgraded to business (or upgraded with an instrument). I forgot how economy was for long-haul flights. I am one of those people who actually enjoy airplane food. The tray with all the little boxes & cartons; it is all so much fun! After having gone to business class for most of my long-haul flights, I've said I would never go back to economy. But after reading your report, maybe it's not so bad!
I've read trip reports from here and other places that seem "dissapointed". I go along the lines of "expect something, but low expectations" (this is what US Airways Coach taught me well).

Providing the product is delivered, it isn't that bad at all. Add the extra seat pitch of WTP and it becomes a very bearable way to spend 24 hours...

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
By the way, you're right on with using the word, "ghetto"!

Originally Posted by camsean
Thanks for an interesting trip report.
Originally Posted by debonairy
Thanks for the trip report. I liked the photos of the sky.
Thanks I alas am one of those window seat hoggers who will attempt to get the best pictures I can from the sky. Call it annoyance, call it maddening (and yes - I did go to the galley to shoot some photos - I'm not THAT much of an evil person.)

Originally Posted by NoY
Nice report as usual ^ Good to see that BA can be consistent in service delivery across 4 x flights...looking fwd to your return to *A!
October 21st... on a United flight. Take your best on the jokes in catering... now..

Originally Posted by Prospero
An absolute joy to read - just love the ghetto IFE
The Ghetto IFE was initially in protest to US Airways when I crossed the pond in January. The fact it's one of the most versatile IFE systems I've come across (as it's configured to how I like it) makes it insta-win. The fact it's a two minute build and with decent headphones means that for Y class pax like me, it's one of the best soultions out there.. (I have seen freezerclip/bullclip versions... but I have my doubts on those).

Besides, when I do this, I turn into a form of IFE on the flight

Originally Posted by Moomba
Well you are a braver man that I am Kevin. Even for such a steal I couldn't manage the trip home in Y anymore. I get really ansi after about 7.5 hours and would be climbing the ceiling on the long sectors.
I didn't too bad to be honest - I just wish the seats were closer to the bulkhead so i could had rested my head there. Instead I was sliding off most of the time. The bargain fare did have a minor impact in my decision making

I've had bad Y Class before - this ranks as one of the better Y Class experiences.

Interesting description of the orange juice.

Just what organ did it see in a previous life?
I think it was the flesh from a fruit. What fruit that had chemical additives are beyond me...

Nice photo of the chardonnay BTW. What next? Will you be taking pictures of half eaten food.
Welll normally it's with coke.. so Chardonay makes a difference for once. I don't take half eaten food normally... as it's gone before I reach for the camera again
Entertaining report as ever. ^
Thanks

Originally Posted by sobore
Outstanding report! Thanks for all the details! ^
Thank you - it's the little details that make a difference in any flight
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report, Kevin! I love the commentary and pictures. It looks like BA has a pretty solid WT+ product. The ghetto IFE cracks me up every time.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thanks for the report.

And your pictures are just great. I looked at some of them and 'wow' came out! Thank you! ^

Regards

lme ff
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by Kevincm
So what did I take away from the BA Experience? A constant service delivered in a friendly fashion, with edible food, drinkable drinks and reasonable comfort. These are in my opinion some of the best things to have in the sky.

I am defiantly NOT a fan of 3 x 3 x 3 seating configurations and much prefer the 2 x 3 x 2 or 2 x 4 x 2 configurations that are out there. In addition seating policy is to be honest a pain up the rear, and whilst I accept it is something that they wish to keep for their elites, other airlines do allow pre-assignment at booking no matter what your status is with an airline or alliance.

Will it be enough for me to switch my flying from *A to OW? I don't think so to be honest - OneWorld is defiantly a "premium" alliance and thus, having a premium pocket helps (especially if on expense accounts or corporate travel agents) - except I'm not.

I'm travelling on my own coin so I have to evaluate each alliance and airline as needed – thus restricting me to N fares, and bottom of the bucket earning where I can (except when I can score a cheap upgrade). The fact I’m 22,231 miles up in a program I might never credit to for some time is of course besides the point.

So really – thumbs up to British Airways for the delivered product with good delivery both in front and back, but change the booking policy (although your tier point policy is improving) and I might be back.

Right. Enough cricket (2:1 by the way Australia. Tinnies can be cried to anytime. Please recycle them, and do NOT send them to The Oval) ... and enough of me yattering on.

October is coming - so it'll be time to ponder what catering delights UA will be serving...

Bet you can't wait

Comments and thoughts welcome

Great TR - I won a free trip on BA - ORD-LHR on 17 Nov in WT, return in WTP, probably wont take it do to work and other stuff (also that BA values the prize at USD 2000 for tax purposes, which means at 28% it'll cost me over 500 USD in taxes).

I really could not discern any difference between WT and WTP other than 2-4-2 v. 3-4-3, the footrest and more pitch - am I correct? was the 125GBP worth it?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Great report, Kevin! I love the commentary and pictures. It looks like BA has a pretty solid WT+ product. The ghetto IFE cracks me up every time.
Thanks lucky9876coins. The BA WT+ (and WT) products are very solid - and very good value. Combined with a consistency of service, it makes for a good product.

I somehow think I'll be making Ghetto IFE systems for some time to come however

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Thanks for the report.

And your pictures are just great. I looked at some of them and 'wow' came out! Thank you! ^
Thanks LHR/MEL/Europe FF

If mother nature throws out the sights, I feel it is requirement to capture them. As long as I have a camera to do the job, flight photography is a really interesting art.

It's why I fight, moan and curse for the window seats...

Originally Posted by ordogg
Great TR - I won a free trip on BA - ORD-LHR on 17 Nov in WT, return in WTP, probably wont take it do to work and other stuff (also that BA values the prize at USD 2000 for tax purposes, which means at 28% it'll cost me over 500 USD in taxes).

I really could not discern any difference between WT and WTP other than 2-4-2 v. 3-4-3, the footrest and more pitch - am I correct? was the 125GBP worth it?
It's important note the problem that Premium Economy products have - They're either downscaled C-/J- (downgrading a business product), or Y+ (upgrading an economy product). BA's WTP is defiantly falls into the Y+ category where it is a completely different seat to WT (and as I insinuated in the report - 2 x 4 x 2 is my personal preference when I'm travelling).

For the way out - £125 was a steal for 24 hours or so of flying in a larger seat, better recline and a more attentive service than in Y itself. Like most upgrades - how do you define value? £125 for 22 hours + of flying isn't bad value at all.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:36 am

Cool Thanks!

Kevin

Thanks for a really fun and informative report! As a long haul virgin, setting off on BA009 2 weeks today, there was lots of useful info. Ok so I am travelling BC, which I hope will ease the long flight for my 82 year old mum. At least I now know the J config for BA009, something BA seemed unable to tell me. Can't say that I will do as good a job as you on reporting my trip, but watch out for my report in a couple of weeks.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Firstly welcome to Flyertalk inquirygirl.

I'd strongly recommend you check out the BA Executive Club forum for lots hints and tips of flying in Business on the LHR-BKK-SYD route.

I've got to admit, that was first Ultra-Long Haul I've done in years, and believe it or not, I wasn't too tired from it (even in Y+/Y-).

From a quick peek at ExpertFlyer, next weeks BA009 is still a MidJ/52J Config. As it's a MidJ/52J flight, there should be seats on the main deck and the Upper Deck (which is where a lot of FF's like to go) - SeatGuru and SeatExpert can guide you in the right direction.

Happy flying!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:19 am

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome!

I will certainly check out the Exec Club. From what I have read on Seat Guru upper deck certainly seems favourite. I fly back with Quantas on the A380 with pre-allocated seats on the upper deck. Will report back on that one.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Excellent report, your photos are great! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.