East Coast Explorer - From Karlsruhe to Washington D.C, Boston and back

Old May 6, 2009, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver

East Coast Explorer - From Karlsruhe to Washington D.C., Boston and back

Hello everybody,

this trip report covers my recent trip to the US East Coast where I went to Washington D.C. just in time to get hit by a 90°F or 35°C heat wave and to Boston. I took this trip to visit a dear friend of mine in Washington D.C. who I haven't seen for a while and to spent some time with my father in Boston. While I haven't been in Washington D.C. for over eleven years I regularly fly to Boston and see Bean Town as my second home.

The report consists of the following legs:
FRA-IAD on LH418 in Business Class
DCA-BOS on US2030 in Economy
BOS-FRA on LH421 in Economy

The TATL Lufthansa legs were paid by a voucher I got for a voluntary denied boarding (VDB) last year. As some of you may remember last year the Lufthansa ground crews decided to go on strike in spring causing a pretty messed up service until early summer. While Lufthansa has two flights from Frankfurt to Boston and one from Munich in summer the flights were heavily overbooked for several weeks. So it was an easy task to score a 700€ VDB voucher. Thank you European Union for this nice law. I also upgrade the first leg with miles. I took advantage of the North America promotion where the cost for upgrades were reduced from 50.000 to 30.000 miles.

First leg:
Lufthansa
747-400
LH418 FRA-IAD
Seat 14H Business Class
Departure: 1:05pm
Arrival: 15:45pm

I live about 1 hour by train south of Frankfurt International airport. The easiest way for me to get to airport is to use Deutsche Bahn and its ICE service directly to the Airport long distance railway station. To make it even more convenient I checked in online the day before and just had to drop of my luggage at Frankfurt airport before heading to the lounge and gate. The ICE service is pretty reliable and even in 2nd class very comfortable. My train was scheduled to leave at 9:07am and arrived on time.

Karlsruhe Main Station with a advertisement for 75 years of Bürger Maultaschen (Swabian ravioli)

ICE 602 with service to Cologne scheduled for 9:07am

The newest in German Beer Brewing: Beer with Cuba Libre flavor.

ICE3 pulling into the station. This train consists of two individual ICE3 trains connected together.

The train arrived on time and left punctual at 9:07am. Next stop was Mannheim and after that we already pulled into Frankfurt Airport Long distance train station one minute before time.

Display in car 27. We arrived one minute before time.

After arriving at Frankfurt airport I dropped of my luggage, made my way through security and headed for the new Lufthansa Tower Lounge behind gate 65. My flight to Washington Dulles would leave at gate 55. To reach the lounge you take one of two elevators and reach a nice and spacious lounge on top of concourse A. The Lufthansa Business lounge has three areas. A work area with charging terminals where you can charge your various electronic gadgets. A lounge area with lounge chairs and a eating area with tables plus chairs and bar tables and bar stools. The lounge has several alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks available, a fruit bar, some snacks and a toasted sandwich bar.

The self service bar with Becks and Paulaner on tab.

The fruit bar

The best combination ever: Bubbly and Gummi bears

No well known champagne and sparkling wine brands but good quality never the less. Also available the famous Lufthansa Cocktail mix.

The best part of the Tower lounge is the great view. Paradise for plane spotters like me.

Around 12:15pm I made my way to the gate just to find that boarding was delayed to 12:40pm. 12:40pm came and suddenly free style boarding was announced. At least they had two dedicated jet bridges. One for First and Business and one for Economy. On board a friendly f/a welcomed me on board the 747-400 and showed me to my seat 14H.

My seat for the next 8,5 hours.

This time no Gummi Bears .

The menu:

Gin Tonic, Water and delicious macadamia nuts

The food:

Hors d'oeuvres:
Roman and Rucola Lettuce with marinated Vegetables, stuffed cherry Pepper, fried Mushrooms and Parmesan Cheese accompanied by Balsamic Dressing. As drink a glas of 2008 Casablanca Valley Chardonnay Reserva, Ventisquero, Chile

Entrees:

Pikeperch in Red Wine Sauce with Romanesco, Basmati and Wild Rice.

Cheese and Dessert:

Cambozola, Grana Padano and Provolne Chesse

Amaretti Chocolate Flan

Somewhere over Canada

More food or the pre-landing Snack:

Tomato and Mozzarella with Pesto and Vitello Tonnato

Overall the service and flight was pretty nice. The food was good and the seat is comfortable. Still I can understand people who have problems to sleep on these lie-flat but not horizontal seats. For me this is no problem since I can sleep even in a economy seat. The crew was very nice and attentive but not over caring.

Second leg in next post.

Last edited by flyingfkb; May 6, 2009 at 4:06 pm
Old May 6, 2009, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Second Part

Second leg:
US Airways Shuttle
A319
US2030 DCA-BOS
Seat 4F Economy Class
Departure: 11:30am
Arrival: 12:55pm

After a wonderful, hot and humid weekend in Washington D.C. it was time for me to catch my flight to Boston. I took the Metro from Dupont Circle to National Reagan Airport. It would be nice if more US airports had such a convenient public transport access.

The main corridor just outside of the US Airways Shuttle check-in

Another paradise for plane spotters but be aware of the TSA smurfs.

The US Airways Shuttle gate area.

Tweety Bird ready for take off.

During boarding I got a special treatment from the TSA because I dared to take pictures in the waiting area. This kind of highly suspicious behavior got me a gate search.

Picture from my seat.

The service on board US2030 consisted of a whole can of Diet Coke. I think I can tell myself lucky.

Thrust reversers fully deployed upon landing at Boston

Welcome to Boston Logan

US Airways retro jet. Allegheny Vistajet

The flight with US Airways Shuttle was nothing special. I got a free drink but they charged me 15$ for my checked luggage and the plane could need some serious cleaning inside.

Finally leg:
Lufthansa
A340-300
LH421 BOS-FRA
Seat 27C Economy Class
Departure: 10:55pm
Arrival: 10:40am

Since this was an overnight flight I didn't make any pictures on board. I made some at the airport.

Final flights for the day

Boston Logan Terminal E

A tall Harpoon I.P.A. quite good for an American beer

Gate Area Terminal E

Unusual setting area - rocking chairs. A nice touch

Hope you liked and enjoyed the report. Comments and questions are welcomed.

Last edited by flyingfkb; May 7, 2009 at 5:16 am
Old May 6, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Wonderful photos. What do you use?
Old May 8, 2009, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyphilrun
Wonderful photos. What do you use?
A Canon Powershot SX110.
Old May 8, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Nice trip report, really like the photos and commentary. I've actually never flown out of BOS, but the Term E checkin area looks pretty nice!
Old May 10, 2009, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
any photos of the plane ride in your last leg on LH economy?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Nice trip report!! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.