Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent Across the Mekong: SIN-BKK-VTE-LXG-CEI-BKK-SIN on TG/QV/FD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Mae Salong

Serpent Across the Mekong: Morning of the Suppression of Terrorist Bands In Mountain Areas and Villagers and School Children Shouting In Delight

Last edited by jpatokal; Mar 13, 2022 at 12:57 am
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Mae Sai-Golden Triangle-Chiang Saen

Serpent Across the Mekong: Day of the Yellow Surprise (A Special Brand Of Siamese Drinking Water) Exploited at Mae Sai by Tuptimkuna Ice Factory

Last edited by jpatokal; Mar 14, 2022 at 2:45 am
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb Chiang Rai

Serpent Across the Mekong: Day of the No Killing Zone

Last edited by jpatokal; Mar 16, 2022 at 8:24 am
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Chiang Rai-Bangkok

Serpent Across the Mekong: Flight of the Thai Air Asia FD3255 B737-300 Seat 19E

Last edited by jpatokal; Mar 16, 2022 at 8:27 am
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Bangkok

Serpent Across the Mekong: Days Of The OK Family Here We Go! Let's Enjoy Shopping For Your Exciting Life

Last edited by jpatokal; Mar 16, 2022 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Conclusion

With that, the Serpent Across the Mekong has swallowed its own tail and come full circle in Bangkok, and our story has come to an end.

Last edited by jpatokal; Mar 16, 2022 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:08 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Chaing Rai & Millenium Hilton

When in Chaing Rai, I always stay at the Dusit Island Resort. It used to be $US40 when I first started going there about 6 years ago. It presently is about 3200baht, but stay 3 nights and you get a suite, dinner, breakfast and sheets without wangcome for the same price. Become a free Dusit Gold and get it for much less if you can get there web-site to work. Book in Thailand and get if for even less.

The pool is very nice, but at the cheap rate, they do not heat it.

I've seen buses that will get you from the border without the long loop to Chang Rai plying the main road to Chiang Saen.

Sorry to see that you missed standing at the northernmost point in Thailand. If the crossing is open it is easy to get into Myanmar for a few hours. Just like Thailand but $5 more for the cost of the visa.

Hilton is very nice especially on the executive floor. It is probably the best SE Asian Hilton property about on a par with the KL Hilton. Yes, the Conrad Singapore is nicer but it is branded Conrad not Hilton. Next time splurge and put Z on the executive floor.

Enjoyed your report. Perhaps, I will fly into Luang Namtha on my next visit to Laos since you make it sound worthwhile.

Last edited by opushomes; Apr 29, 2009 at 4:13 pm
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jpatokal
We were somewhere around western Vientiane on the edge of the Mekong when the chili began to take hold. I remember saying something like, "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should go sightseeing by yourself..." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around me and the street was full of what looked like a tour group of retirees, all swooping and screeching and diving around the bus, which was parked in front of our hotel and not going anywhere. And a voice was whispering: "Sacre bleu! What are these animals?"

Then it was quiet again. "What the hell are you yelling about," Monsieur M muttered, staring up at the sun with his eyes closed and covered with wraparound Spanish sunglasses. "Never mind," I said. "It's your turn to head out." No point mentioning those retirees, I thought. The poor buzzard will see them soon enough.

Shortly earlier, the table of our restaurant had looked like a cooking class. The larb had two massive orange chillies, 75 pellets of chopped long bean, five coarsely shredded springs of mint, a shotglass half-full of fish sauce, and a whole galaxy of unidentifiable herbage... and also a liter bottle of Beerlao Dark, a mug of Beerlao Original, a lethal bowl of green papaya salad dressed with fermented crab, two tip khao full of sticky rice and a wine glass of orange juice, with a straw. All this had been rounded up after we finally reached the hotel, crossing the street in a frenzy of hunger -- from appetizers to mains, we picked up everything we could get our hands on. Not that we needed all that for lunch, but once you get locked into a serious Laotian meal, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

The only thing that really worried me was the orange juice. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man who drinks orange juice in the land of Beerlao...
Genius! Pure genius! ^^

I'm not sure how I missed this trip report when it originally appeared. It has just proved a very happy distraction from some very tedious work. Might we expect the welcome appearance of another jpatokal trip report any time soon?

Oh, and was Infinite Jest worth the significant investment of time (to read it) and energy (to lug around that massive tome)?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
I'm not sure how I missed this trip report when it originally appeared. It has just proved a very happy distraction from some very tedious work. Might we expect the welcome appearance of another jpatokal trip report any time soon?
Unlikely, I'm afraid. I'm not traveling much anymore (or using FT), and when I do, it's with this carry-on:

Oh, and was Infinite Jest worth the significant investment of time (to read it) and energy (to lug around that massive tome)?
To read, certainly. Definitely not light in-flight reading though!

Last edited by jpatokal; Feb 23, 2022 at 7:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.