Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

LHR-AUH-BKK and return in C on EY (PHOTOS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Etihad Guest, EK Skyawards, Thai ROP, MR Silver

Having received an offer of a new job starting June 2008 I realised that I would not gain much holiday allowance in the remainder of the year so decided to take a holiday before starting. I called my travel agent and concocted what I fear will be my only longhaul this year

I usually go to Bangkok twice a year and always with Etihad. As there seems to be few TRs on this airline I was going to take a few pics and do a TR on the way.

This is my first, and I'm pretty rubbish technically but hope the images will come out OK.

Needing to be in London one day I popped into the EY offices and was able to get my seat allocation noted for the whole trip and to confirm Limo pickups both here and in BKK.

All went swimmingly and at 0700 on 7th May I was outside in the early morning sun awaiting pickup.

A BMW 7 series turned up and after a short holdup on the M25 we were at LHR T3 by 08.30. As there was a heavily laden family at the Pearl Checkin I was directed to the Diamond (F) counter and was through fast track and into the SAS lounge by 0840.

The lounge feels very Scandinavian, with modern furnishings and was quite busy at the time

Coffee, orange juice and croissants were the order of the day although I did notice they had beer on tap as well.

Boarding the A340-600 was via Gate 5 and at the gate I was handed an envelope with a letter explaining that the Lounge in AUH was closed for refurbishment but that we could use the other lounges there instead.

Boarding was on time and I was shown to my seat, my jacket was taken and I was asked for my choice of pre-takeoff drink..... Champagne please...

The seat I got for the first leg LHR-AUH (the sector I will deal with first) was 10K. With the herringbone set out of the cabin this is a true window seat with no one beside you and in from the aisle.

The Pearl seats are very comfortable, go to full flat 180 and have a massage function as well.

leg room is excellent

Along came the promised Champagne along with newspapers and magazines.

The Cabin Manager then came along and said that seeing as I was taking photos I should look to my right......

One day I promise I will fly in that... me too was her reply.

Amenity packs were passed out and I noticed that these were different to the ones I had previously received. This was like a small black satchel seemingly bulging with goodies.

Menus were next... once again a change from the usual Etihad Pearl menu... these were simple white card, the wine list was an insert and there was a new section called Kitchen Anytime.... new to me.

Lunch was to be served enroute to AUH and comprised

Smoked Turkey with sumac, loomi scented goats cheese

Herb Salad with prawn in fennel saffron jelly

.................................................. .............................................

Roast black cod fillet, prawn colcannon

Irish steer beef fillet, roast root vegetables, beef jus anise

Chicken Kabsa

Moutable and feta crepes, spicy tomato relish

served with... organic five leaf salad.

.................................................. .............................

Secection of cheese

Date gallette with caramel sauce and citrus creme fraiche
Poached pears with zabaglione
seasonal fresh fruit with fresh pomegranate jelly
Providore natural ice cream

The Kitchen anytime selection ranged frop popcorn to olives, shortbread t baklava.

I was offered another glass of Champagne whilst the boarding formalities were completed and for my choice of after take off drink ( G+T Always) The Champage is Jean Milan cuvee ''Millenaire'' a 100% Chardonnay. Pleasant enough.

Soon came the cabin call... ''All ground staff to leave the aircraft please.. this flight is bound for Abu Dhabi''... I don't know why but I've only heard Etihad say ''Bound for'' and it always sends frissons of pleasure down my back!!!!

We were airborne at 10.55 (25 mins late) due to some tech hold up on the taxi which we were told was either we fix it now or it's back to the stand.

Journey time was to be 6.30 at 39000 ft in the cruise with a climb to 41000 when we were a bit lighter.

Once settled the drink selection came out along with a small cup of very tasty beef tea.

(to be continued)
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: some
Great report so far, looking forward to the rest!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:15 pm

Good reading so far. Looking forward to the next edition.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent, can't wait for more!^
Old Jun 9, 2008, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Part le deux

Milena the Cabin Manager came through the cabin at this stage, introducing herself and we chatted about the A380, and the flight today. The AVOD was working fine to everyones relief; hopefully Etihad have this sorted now as it worked flawlessly on all legs of my trip.

The hors d'oeuvre today was a mezze of taramasalata, hummus and a vibrant pesto

Along with the three variety bread loaf and fresh black pepper this was a great start

Unfortunately my G + T came in a chipped glass but this was quickly replaced. I also found the wine glass to be cracked.... again a replacement was immediately found.

As I intended to have the prawn salad and black cod I chose the following wine

Staete Landt Sauvignon Blanc
Marlborough 2006

An intense aromatic Sauvignon Blanc. Aromas of passion fruit and gooseberry are abundant

This was excellent and I could feel a few glasses coming on!

Having demolished the hummus et al the Prawns arrived

These were very juicy and the jelly was an interesting side.

Top ups of wine were offered twice during the first service and gratefully accepted.

My plate was cleared and I continued to watch Frasier on the TV section of the AVOD.

A while later I was offered another salad as my fish would be a little while... I declined as I was getting full.

Eventually the fish arrived along with a bowl of rice as I am not a big potato eater.

It would seem that there was some problem with the oven as my fish was cold, not even luke warm!!

Everyone was most apologetic and I chose the Chicken Kabsa as a replacement.

This was delicious, a spicy breast fillet with an Arabian rice full of cloves, cardomum and other spices.

After all this I could only manage the fresh fruit selection

and some Earl Grey Tea.

After a visit to the heads (only airbus give you a loo with a view)

it was time for feet up,

seat to relaxed and watch a film.

We lost the sun as we headed for AUH and I decided to catch a few zzzzs before landing.

I got a good hour and awoke to find that a bottle of sparkling water had been placed on the drinks tray awaiting my awakening. A welcome solution to the dry throat I often have after sleeping in an aircraft.

My only concern is that with this being a glass bottle they weigh a fair bit and could potentially be a weapon. They are also included in the amenity bag.

Prior to landing I had some more tea which was served with a piece of cake (nice and gooey) and this was followed by a cool towel. The lights came on at Top of the Descent and Milena came through once more to check that everyone had landing cards, to check onward connections and to say thanks for flying with EY.

Parking was on a remote stand (as always it seems) and coach in to the terminal. There was a separate bus for Premium passengers this time.

Abu Dhabi..... half way there

Last edited by tolsti; Jun 9, 2008 at 2:15 am Reason: thick fingers
Old Jun 9, 2008, 4:37 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Great to read and look at - the photos make the TR so much more visually appealing! I have to master that trick yet.

Air Canada flagship aircraft is now B777 and the executive first cabin washrooms have windows in the washrooms as well.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 6:46 am

Programs: some
Woaw, Isigny butter. Love that stuff. What brand sparkling water was that? Nice bottle.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 8:37 am
Original Poster

I am pleased that folks are enjoying reading this... I sure enjoyed the trip!!

Fliar..The water is Voss from Vatnestrom in Norway according to the bottle.

www.vosswater.com
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tolsti
I am pleased that folks are enjoying reading this... I sure enjoyed the trip!!

Fliar..The water is Voss from Vatnestrom in Norway according to the bottle.

www.vosswater.com
Very nice trip report. We have been blessed with EY Diamond & Pearl reports lately. FWIW, Voss water is stocked as the in-room brand of water in all W Hotels.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:48 pm

Thanks for the TR. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did first try reading it at school earlier but the school filter prevented the pictures from downloading.

It was worth the wait to enjoy the pictures! ^
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Thanks for the report, Tolsti!
I'm looking forward to reading reports of your trip to BKK - can you also note the loads for the trip there and back to AUH in both C and Y?

Reports on the crew for these upcoming sectors is also appreciated! ^

(I'll add a link to the Mid-East/Africa trip reports index and you should expect a few more readers today. )
Old Jun 10, 2008, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great to have TR with pics for EY J ^
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:50 am

The tableware and catering of Etihad's C class seems to have improved !
Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Congrats tolsti on the new job... enjoy your freedom while it lasts.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:18 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by tolsti
After a visit to the heads (only airbus give you a loo with a view)

[/IMG]
A small correction: on B747-400's QF has windows in the F-cl restrooms as well as in the main deck Business-cl restrooms on the non-F aircraft (FRA-SYD, LAX-BNE).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.