Wiki Posts
Search

Ba f lhr-lax + ba cw sfo-lhr

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Plat Amb
BA F LHR-LAX + BA CW SFO-LHR Updated

This trip was booked nearly a year in advance and was to celebrate my girlfriends 30th Birthday.

The outline of the trip was to fly to LAX, then drive the Las Vegas for a few days before onto San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite Park

The original plan was to fly Business Class (Club World) using BA Airmiles which I had saved over the last 3 years, from various sources and with lots of help from the flyertalk BA Board. As a surprise I purchased some extra miles and booked the LHR-LAX leg into First Class. The girlfriend was unaware of the First Class Leg until check in at T5

This was going to be special for both of us because we had only flown economy previously.

Outbound BA LHR-LAX First

The day started with tears. We arrived at T5 and were both impressed with the new terminal. We first went to collect our US $ from Travelex, then I started to head towards the First Class Checkin area. As the gf thought we were only flying business she pointed out that we should checkin at one of the available self service kiosks.
So I was forced to reveal the surprise a little early, by informing her although she was right we could check in at kiosks but as we were flying First maybe we should go to the First Check in desks
At which point she cried with joy, which was a surprise to me as I was sure over the year the booking had been made she would have worked out we were flying First due to the number of confirmation emails she had receieved from BA. Luckily she never read them that closely

So onto First Class Checkin, which was prompt and friendly and within 5mins we has cleared Security and were in the haven of the BA Concorde lounge (CCR). The ambience and setting of the lounge were very nice. We asked the lounge dragon if there was somewhere to get some food, and she just flicked her hand in the general direction of the dining area. I was hoping she would explain the service/options available in the CCR.

Other than that the dining staff were excellent, food a little bit slow arriving maybe. We both went for the full English which was good, just wish they offered Fried or poached eggs rather than scrambled.

Waiting staff in the main lounge were very good, our glasses were never empty. Other than the time the waitress came along to take my order and I wasn't sure what I wanted, so went to bar a few mins later. I sat at the bar while they prepared my drinks and had a nice chat with a waiter who was reading through a book of cocktails.

We were so relaxed we were a little late leaving for the gate. This proved a little stressful as I wasn't sure how long it would take to get to the Satellite terminal T5b.

A few pics of the T5 Lounge

In reality in only took 5-10mins to get to T5b. Boarding was underway at the gate, there was priority boarding for F/CW Passengers but as there was only a single air bridge we still got stuck in a queue waiting to board.

Once on board we were shown to our seats and offered some champagne, I had pre-selected a middle pair of seats 4E and 4F. The Cabin had 10 passengers including ourselves out of a maximum of 14 so it was relatively quiet. The seats were very comfortable and there was plenty of space for both us and our essentials e.g ipod, glasses, books, laptops. The cabin was started to look well used in some area’s but not enough to detract from the experience.

I had picked to fly the LAX in First as it was a day flight, which I thought would enable us to maximise the experience however after takeoff all the other passengers closed all the blinds leaving us only the dim cabin lighting and our individual seat lighting.

Just after take off we both changed in to our pyjama’s, we both looked a little silly but they were comfortable and the FA’s took our clothes to hang them in the wardrobe.

The purser introduced herself and asked about our trip, I explained the First booking was a surprise to for my gf’s 30th Birthday. This impressed the FA’s and they asked me if I had any single available brothers lol. She said the manifest showed this was our 1st time in First which was correct, and explained if we need anything explaining to let her know.

As we had pigged out in the CCR we put off our food until 3hrs into the flight, but the cabin crew took our order and exactly 3hrs later the food service arrived. I had seen other trip reports with photo’s of the First food but I was still surprised at the quality which was better than lots of restaurants I have visited.

We both had Poached Lobster with Soy and Mirin dressing

Followed by Salad

Then I had the Catch of the Day which in this case was Lemon Sole

Where as the gf had Steak with pont-neuf potatoes, parsley butter (sorry no photo)

Followed by a Chocolate Silk Torte, which was decorated appropriately for my gf lol

After dinner I requested the seat was made into a bed so I could get some rest. The BA F seat will go completely flat at the touch of a button, similar to the CW bed. However in F the FA’s will add a ‘mattress’ a thin layer of foam, as well as a nice comfy duvet. With the bed made, I got an hours sleep very easily and I’m not a very good sleeper on planes. When I awoke I enjoyed the IFE for a few hours. The plan was fitted with BA’s latest AVOD, I can’t remember the number of channels but loads of movies including some classics.

The FA’s were never too far away passing quietly through the cabin, so it was easy to catch their eye and ask for more drinks.
I was then offered afternoon tea, to be honest I was still full from diner, but it would be rude to refuse So I enjoyed a few sandwiches followed by scones and cream which were very nice.

The 11hr flight was over far too quickly and we landed on time in Los Angeles. We said our goodbyes and thank you’s to the FA’s and headed to immigration.

From leaving the plane door we were soon back to reality with the mess that is LAX. Endless corridors to finally arrive at immigration to find endless queues. It took 45mins to pass through immigration and was another 30mins before we arrived at the taxi rank.

The taxi took us to our first hotel of the holiday namely the Century City InterContinental.

Overall and excellent start to an excellent holiday.
I had been looking forward to this flight for a long time and it didn’t disappoint. I never dreamed I would be able to fly First class, but the helpful members of the FT BA Board certainly helped me achieve it and maximise the experience.
Only things I thought could be improved were the boarding at T5 for F passengers and immigration at LAX but that isn’t in BA’s own hands.

Last edited by paul.goffin; Jan 7, 2009 at 1:37 pm
Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

[B]BA Club World SFO-LHR[/B]

BA Club World SFO-LHR

BA CW SFO-LHR
Sorry no photo’s for this flight

After a very enjoyable holiday visiting LA, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite and San Francisco, it was time to return home 

As neither of us have status with BA we could not reserve seats prior to OLCI opening 24hrs before the flight. I logged on BA’s website at exactly t-24 by which time I couldn’t get 2 seats together on the upper deck. The gf also didn’t want to seat in a rear facing seat.
In the end we booked 20D & E, as 20E has the benefit of being able to exit the seat without having to step over people’s feet.

We arrived at San Francisco airport in plenty of time, and were impressed with the modern terminal.
We checked in at the Club World desks, this was dealt with very quickly with no waiting and were given instructions on how to find the BA lounge.

We passed through the security with little fuss, I didn’t see a fast track but it wasn’t needed with so small queues. From security we went straight to the lounge, as we had been to enough shops over the cause of the holiday and didn’t feel the need for any final duty free bargains. Added to fact I had run out of spending money!

The lounge was relatively small but still comfortable we were greeted by a very friendly assistant who explained what was available e.g drinks, sandwanches and free wi-fi. She also explained that the plane would board straight from the lounge.
We watched the plane arrive and were surprised to see it was the 747 fitted with the Gold nose cone, which had been used to fly Team GB back from the Olympics.

We found some seats and made ourselves comfortable. I can’t comment on the wines or champagne as I’m not an expert, and stuck to usual tipples of beer and G&T’s. I spent the time going through my photo’s and catching up with emails. While the gf caught up on events back home by reading the Daily Mail.

Our flight was called, and we exited the lounge straight on to the air bridge to the plane. This really made boarding very efficient, added to the fact there was a separate air bridges for F/CW and WT passengers. Once on board we were offered champagne and given menu’s for the flight. I noticed that my seat had been incorrectly given standard headphones, but luckily as the seat next to me was empty I could use their noise cancelling head phones.

We took off on time and the FA’s were soon round to take our food and drinks order.
Although the CW bed was very comfortable due to the configuration it was difficult for the FA to take orders and serve drinks through the divider. I’m not sure why she didn’t come round the front of my seat as it was easy to get to.

Our food seemed to take quite a while, I’m not sure if this was because the cabin was busy. Me and gf both chose the same as follows:

Duck Salad,
Followed by Beef Ribs and Bok Choy
Finally cheese and biscuits.

Again, the service seemed slow and it was a long time before our trays were cleared, and we were offered another drink.

I tried to get some sleep but was kept awake from a light in the door away and a grizzly baby in WT on the other side of the curtain but these things happen. I went and asked the crew for a wash bag as there wasn’t one on my seat and I wanted to use the eye mask and ear plugs, but was told they were not loaded and SFO and I would have to go without.
I returned to by seat and luckily the baby had quietened enabling me to get and an hours sleep.

I didn’t see the crew in the cabin much which was a bit disappointing. I know its difficult for them to see if people are sleeping and serve people without disturbing others. However when I fly economy with BA one of things I like is the crew are almost constantly patrolling the cabin with cups of water on night flights.
The gf had a much better flight than me by sleeping for hours. She isn’t the best flyer especially with take offs and landings but once cruising she sleeps very easily.

A refreshing breakfast was served including warm muffins and the traditional bacon roll! I had head bad reports about these bacon rolls but mine was very good.

Flying into London I wish I had booked a window seat and it was a clear morning and the views would have been good.

The arrival at LHR T5 was fantastic, we docked at a stand straight away and were soon collecting our belongings and on our way. At immigration BA have a fast track for CW/F passengers, my gf used this and there was no queue at all. I wanted to try my IRIS registration (boys with toys) which worked smoothly but had a longer queue than fastrack and didn’t save me any time.
Even with no delays by the time we reached the luggage carousel our luggage was already waiting. It could only have been 20mins since we left the plane, which we thought was impressive.

We followed the signs to the Arrivals lounge and were welcomed in, and offered to check our luggage in the cloakroom. I had remembered to back our washbags in one of the smaller suitcases, but not a change of clothes. Which resulted in me getting an ear bashing from the better half. We took this smaller suitcase with us to the spa and were shown to 2 shower suites next to each other. The shower suites are of sufficient size to have a shower and get changed comfortably but there are notices warning you not to store you clothes on the floor as they are designed as wash rooms and are likely to get wet.
It was very refreshing to have a shower and listen to the radio, just a shame the plugs are so noisy it would appear they have a constant suction system in use.

After the shower we returned to the main lounge area, I only had a cup of tea as I full from breakfast on the plane. The gf didn’t have food on the plane, so she made the most of the breakfast and said it was very nice.
So after being suitably refreshed we collect our luggage and began our 4hr drive home.

I really enjoyed the CW seat and cabin, but was a little disappointed with the service on board, maybe because it was a busy night flight. Or maybe because we flew out in F, although I was aware not to try and compare the two products.
However arrivals at T5 was superb, even without the arrivals lounge or fast track it was the most stress free airport I have passed though.

Last edited by paul.goffin; Jan 7, 2009 at 1:34 pm
Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Very good report.

Pics of the GF would be nice
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zorn
Very good report.

Pics of the GF would be nice
As requested,

She will kill me if she reads this

Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Great report, thanks very much for posting. Sounds like you had a great flight and what a lovely surprise it was for your girlfriend ^, must have scored you a few brownie points!!
Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Nice Report ^ As I travel TATL 1-2x per month, I basically get on board, watch a couple tv shows and sleep. Alas when I go with the GF, it is a major event for her and I do appreciate the BA FAs in F really seem to enjoy being able to lay the full on service to the non-jaded types like my GF.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:26 am

Great report Paul Sounds like you had an excellent flight and a lovely surprise for your g/f (I did something similar in September!).

Am looking forward to your thoughts on CW when you return.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

I've updated the 2nd post with the return flight details, but I can't seem to edit the thread title.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very enjoyable report. ^

A pity that you didn't get an Amenity Kit in CW, did nobody get one?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nice report Paul. ^

Pretty shoddy they had no amenity kits on board on the inbound. Even shoddier that you had to ask them before being told there were none loaded.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Very enjoyable report. ^

A pity that you didn't get an Amenity Kit in CW, did nobody get one?
I didn't see any passengers with any.

I should have sent an email to CS, but never got round to it. Its taken me 3 months to write the trip report.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

I just spotted the link in your signature to this trip report. It's a lot of fun to read in anticipation of our own upcoming trip. We just flew BA C for the first time ever. We flew LAX-LHR-LAX. We were able to preselect our seats because of my AA status. We had 62 A/B in the upper deck with the side bins by the A seat. I was really pleased with the seat comfort. Food was good. Service was indifferent to mediocre on the return.

We've got our BA F flight ahead. I haven't flown BA F in 3 years, so it's nice to read what is the same as before, and what might have changed. It sounds as though AVOD is improved. By the way, your lobster meal looks awesome!

Did you think about booking the Cabanas in the F lounge? Do you see any reason to do so? They don't seem all that from descriptions I've read in the BA forum. Did you get a complimentary massage before take off at LHR?

There is a F lounge in the terminal from whence flights leave to the USA. Do you think it is better to stay in the lounge you used? Any reason to split time between the lounges?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Did you think about booking the Cabanas in the F lounge? Do you see any reason to do so? They don't seem all that from descriptions I've read in the BA forum.

I couldn't see the attraction with the Cabanna, especially with 2 people it looks like it might be crowed. The only benefit I could see is during a long connection when you may want to get a little sleep.

Did you get a complimentary massage before take off at LHR?
Both times I have never got around to it, maybe next time.

There is a F lounge in the terminal from whence flights leave to the USA. Do you think it is better to stay in the lounge you used? Any reason to split time between the lounges?[/QUOTE]

You can try all the Lounges, I like the quiet nature of the CCR so we stay there. If you find your flight is leaving from a T5B gate there is another lounge in the 5B terminal.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 2:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thanks, Paul, and thanks for taking the time to write up your trip.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:04 pm

Well done!

I also dislike daytime flights when everyone else closes the shades (especially when I'm seated in a centre seat without windows!).

Why did the manifest mention that this was your "first time in first?" - I don't get this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.