Wiki Posts
Search

My Year of First Class Meals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

My Year of First Class Meals

I've just flown my last flight of the year today. A rather humble Prague to Amsterdam on Czech Airlines. However, I have been lucky enough to sample the First Class cabins of some great airlines this year, so I thought I'd celebrate by posting some pictures of meals I've taken. And it's also an excuse to show just how bad Air France's First Class product is.

Singapore Airlines

Rock lobster and avocado tartare, garnished with baby lettuce and cherry tomato. Appetiser on SQ321 LHR-SIN, 20th April.

Oven-baked warm oyster with tomato salsa and coriander cheese sauce in half shell. Appetiser on SQ16 SIN-ICN, 23rd April.

Chilled malossol caviar, with melba toast and condiments. Appetiser on SQ16 ICN-SFO, 23rd April.

Emirates

Mediterranean mezze, which includes tabouleh salad, egg and anchovy mayonnaise and grilled artichoke heart. Appetiser on EK763 DXB-JNB, 3rd December.

Grilled lamb cutlets with minted gravy, served with fine green beans, turned roast potatoes, pumpkin and cherry tomatoes. Main course on EK763 DXB-JNB, 3rd December.

Avocado, mango and lobster with a spicy cocktail sauce. Snack on EK763 DXB-JNB, 3rd December.

Lufthansa

Filet of beef with brandy flavoured green peppercorn jus, gratin potato, grilled tomato filled with garlic polenta and green beans. Main course on LH711 NRT-FRA, 16th June.

Swiss

Balik salmon with seafood and vegetarian platter. Appetiser on LX289 JNB-ZRH, 5th December.

Fillet of beef in a mushroom sauce with broccoli florets, grilled carrots and saffron basmati rice. Note the glass of 1995 Chateau La Tour. Main course on LX289 JNB-ZRH, 5th December.

And finally. I'll save the best until last.

Air France

Some kind of meat covered in dried sauce. Main course on AF276 CDG-NRT, 13th June.

Last edited by Mofomat; Dec 6, 2008 at 3:56 pm
Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:01 pm

What a great idea!
Thanks for the wonderful pics - well done.
Interesting is that the "Air France" F meal, coming from the one country that should be able to give a great impression with their cuisine, looks horrific! That is really one sad entree, and look at that economy class excuse for a salad! They should be ashamed to call that French anything!
You have really set up a good contrast with all the wonderful examples, then that scary AF meal.
The rest are GREAT, especially the lobster on Emirates.

Last edited by Flyingfox; Dec 6, 2008 at 4:11 pm
Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:54 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Hehe, great idea for a trip report thread. Let no opportunity to criticize the miserable food on AF go unwasted!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by patgarrett
Hehe, great idea for a trip report thread. Let no opportunity to criticize the miserable food on AF go unwasted!
To be fair, I have always found the AF food pretty good. However, on my most recent trip from CDG/LAX, the food was horrible. I believe that the mystery meat covered in sauce in AF was the uncuttable lamb. This looks exactly like the entree we were served about 10 hours into our 11-1/2 hour flight. The FA's said it was lamb, but I have no idea, really, as it was impossible to cut. The best part of the meal service was the Haagen Daz ice cream bars in the galley.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Oh my, that AF meal is scary! Did you complain? I am suprised they were not too embarrased to even 'plate' that excuse for a F meal!

Shame AF!

AG :-:
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
Oh my, that AF meal is scary! Did you complain? I am suprised they were not too embarrased to even 'plate' that excuse for a F meal!

Shame AF!

My husband I both complained and the mystery meat was replaced by a vegetarian meal. IIRC, it was a big chewy piece of braised fennel
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Fantastic!

This is great! I really enjoyed seeing those pictures! Thank you!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
I agree with the others; this is a wonderful idea, and will keep it in mind for the future as something to do.

I'd say Emirates' Grilled lamb cutlets look tasty, as does the Avocado, mango and lobster with a spicy cocktail sauce.
Lufthansa's Filet of beef is presented very nicely as well, and looks appetizing.
And Air France: yikes!! It looks horrid!

But I did enjoy the photos... thank you for sharing them! ^
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airgroovin'

Shame AF!

No I didn't but I really should have. The reason I didn't was:

1) I was the only person in F on that flight and had already built up a rapport with the stewardess who was solely serving me. I am British too so we don't complain.

2) I had just flown IAH-CDG in F and didn't get much sleep so I was therefore very tired. I just wanted to sleep and I wasn't that hungry either.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:59 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wow. What an offering from the country that supposedly is a leader in the culinary arts.

Even the salt and pepper shakers are tacky compared to the other airlines. Also the butter is served up in the plastic tub?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 4:25 am

Great report. I COMPLETELY agree about AF... I did a F trip from LAX-LHR on AF and the entree was a dried piece of fish that I just returned.. The IFE was an absolute joke as well.. But the seats were quite comfortable..
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for biggin' up my pictures man. I is well happy.

One thing I noted from my Air France flight in F was that I was the only passenger and the sole stewardess who was looking after me said she had never been in the F cabin before. Clearly then she wasn't trained properly for L'Espace Premiere, which explains the food. It shows just how much AF value their F passengers if the purser has decided to reallocate the crew.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:43 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for that. I love these different twists on Trip Reports. Now, would you mind next year doing the same but focusing on vegetarian meals. <j/k>
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:07 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
I enjoyed seeing those pictures! Thanks ! ^

and now I am hungry.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Mofomat
I am British too so we don't complain.
?

Last edited by Flyingfox; Apr 21, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.