Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld Explorer: First Class on BA, CX, JL, QF and AA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Oneworld Explorer: First Class on BA, CX, JL, QF and AA

Flying to San Francisco to pick up the ticket in AA First Class

Part 1: SFO-LHR on BA in First
Part 2: LHR-DXB on BA in First
Part 3: DXB-LHR on BA in First
Part 4: LHR-VIE-LHR on BA in Club Europe (incl. Terminal 5 Concorde Room]
Part 5: LHR-HKG on Cathay Pacific in First Class
Part 6: HKG-BKK on Cathay Pacific in First Class
Part 7: BKK-SIN on Cathay Pacific in First Class
Part 8: SIN-NRT on JAL in First Class
Part 9: NRT-SIN on JAL in First Class
Part 10: SIN-SYD on BA in First
Part 11: SYD-CHC on Qantas in Business
Part 12: CHC-SYD on Qantas in Business
Part 13: SYD-LAX on Qantas in First
Part 14: LAX-JFK on American Airlines in First Class
Part 15: JFK-ORD on American Airlines in First Class
Part 16: ORD-DFW-ANC on American Airlines in First Class

Unwritten Segments:
Part 17: ANC-DFW-RIC on American Airlines in First Class (photos only)

More to come as I write the reports...

Last edited by Fraser; Feb 28, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Old Jul 9, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL GM US silver AA GM Jet Blue True Blue
Thanks for posting this TR!^ It's an excellent read! Looks like the Quantas has an amazing ground product and a solid soft product. If only I had OW miles
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:30 pm

Great TR's. I have enjoyed your reports for a couple of years now, Keep it up! Just out of curiosity, have you had a chance to try Suites on the A380 yet or do you usually stick to OW?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Fraser, I have bookmarked the various segments of your trip report to read on my iPod touch while jogging on my treadmill. I have read and enjoyed all the US domestic segments so far and can't wait to get to the good stuff (international F, CX, BA, QF, JL).

I understand that this is a Trip Report but I for one would be very, very interested in the planning that went into the whole trip; i.e. how you researched your trip, why and how you settled on your itinerary, why you decided on oneworld explorer, what online and offline tools you used, tips and tricks... things of that nature. Perhaps you can call it "Part 0."
Old Jul 12, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Thanks! (plus some more recent BA & CX F experiences)

Fraser, thanks for another wonderful report (set of reports)! ^ As always full of interesting, useful, humorous and insightful detail.

We are also mid way through an AONE trip but went Westwards and have now taken a break with Asia and Aus still to come next year. So I particularly value your reports on JAL in F which will be a new experience for me.

As it happens I wrote something intended for a BA board thread commenting on our First flights, but it turned into more of a trip report. But when I see trip reports like yours, Fraser, I fear it's not enough of a trip report to stand on its own. So I'll sneak it in here as it seems to fit nicely with your BA First reports and has the comparison with CX.

Mostly you will find my experiences accord with yours. The one exception is that I like the Wing - but I like it like a comfortable old shoe, not like a sparkly new toy. Oh, and we got the amazing new CX F suites.

Anyway here are my experiences for you and others to compare and contrast:
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Just done most of my annual spate of BA First flights. Inconsistency was the theme throughout.

The first leg, CPT-LHR, was just terrible by any standards. The crew just couldn't have cared less. All sorts of things were either just missing (like the warm nuts before take-off, or chockies after dinner) or poorly done (like drinks taking more than an hour to materialise after take-off, the meal much longer) - each one trivial, but all adding to a general devaluation of the experience. The food was overcooked and when I asked for a glass of trockenbeerenauslese the FA said "What?!" in a most uncouth way. (It's on your menu for pete's sake, learn to recognise it when pax ask for it!) The wine itself was ambrosial. Of course the AVOD needed to be booted 5 times and then caved in completely after a few hours.

By contrast on the last First leg (LHR-SEA) we had a dream crew with the CSD very much in evidence and leading by example. The food was excellent (I had catch of the day) and the service sequence of lunch first with tea later suited me perfectly. Almost made one forget the bits of trim that were falling off the seats. And the AVOD that needed numerous bootings, of course. This last problem was very well handled by the CSD with numerous announcements and checks to see that pax were happy. (But a CSD really shouldn't have to do this on a daily basis.)

In between we had 2 more First legs that were of an acceptable standard. These were on old 777's and the portable dvd players were a huge improvement on the AVOD of the 747. One flight had a very chatty FA who was soon giving all the gossip from the galley and informed us that we would have royalty on board (which explained the incredibly thorough pre-boarding security check that F and J pax received). This duly transpired and doubtless added some sparkle to the service though in truth is was an overnight flight flight and quite empty so there would have been no excuse for any lapses anyway.

Check-in at the T5 First area was not a great experience. There is no queueing system and no "concierge" to manage the flow as there is at T4. Plus the agent was clueless. (That, at least was consistent with the agents we got at T4.) The lounge "dragons" at T4 CCR were very friendly (on one occasion at least, not so much on another) but the serving staff were surly at all times and tried to avoid doing anything useful - like clearing away dirty plates or taking an order. This is not new but I have no patience for it any more. Things were turned around at T5 CCR where the dragons were frosty and the serving staff very friendly and helpful. However, we had poor luck with ordering breakfast: no eggs benedict ("the hollandaise sauce hasn't arrived"). And several other, quite ordinary, items were also "still to be delivered, as it is Monday".

I know it's pointless bewailing the tattiness of the soon-to-be-defunct T4 CCR, so will say no more. The T5 CCR was very much to my liking despite those horse lamps (saw them again on my travels in Vegas where they seemed more at home). It was quiet, spacious and very pleasant and functional. Loved that video "stone art" thingy that is projected onto the wall!!

I managed to use the slurping, gurgling showers in the T5 spa without mishap. But someone before me had succeeded not only in dousing the whole cubicle but also in soaking a huge area of the carpet in the hallway! It occurred to me it might have been someone from the FT BA board making a point.

It's not F specific, but I'm pleased to report that my bags arrived from both T4 and T5. Others were less lucky - on one flight they announced a list of pax who should report to ground staff as their luggage hadn't made it. One woman in F just shrugged and said it happens to her so often on that route she's quite used to it. The crew were amazed by her stoicism and one FA said he wouldn't be so accepting if it were his luggage. I avoided any LHR luggage connections by schlepping my bags between terminals landside. On one occasion on arrival at T5 it took forever for bags to arrive. While we waited the board indicating which belts had which flight’s luggage went on the blink and eventually showed “Wait for allocation” or some such unhelpful thing for all flights. But luggage was appearing on various belts sporadically and it was a nightmare trying to find the right belt. Eventually occasional announcements were made over the PA system. These were about as distinct as those from the tannoy of an unmaintained Victorian railway station.

If I needed a perspective on how good an F flight could be I got it 2 weeks later on a CX flight from JFK to HKG. As the ground staff and lounge were BA’s I will restrict my comments to the in-flight experience. 15 hours in the air is a long time to pick holes in the hard product and the service and I truthfully could not find one significant flaw. At worst I could say that maybe the CSD-equivalent was a tad over-friendly. (This contradicts the often-reported reserve of Asian crews. Perhaps the fact that ours was Thai and Malaysian had something to do with it.) Or that our personal closets were half taken up with bedding (all neatly packed in bags). Those apart, it seemed that every detail was attended to with charm and efficiency. Small things like the manner in which each crew member introduced herself or the way the sleep suit was offered - "Mr C_SA may we offer you a sleep suit so that you can be more comfortable during the flight?" as opposed to BA's "do you want a sleep suit?" - were handled with superb aplomb. SO is less attentive to detail in these matters and formulates more generalised opinions; but he too was blown away by that CX experience.

Yes, I know CX is also inconsistent in both product and service. But no BA First flight has ever left me with such a "wow" feeling. I doubt one ever will. But I’d be more than happy if they would just get back to the top of their game on a more regular basis.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Last edited by Cheetah_SA; Jul 21, 2008 at 8:28 am Reason: With abject apologies for inexcusably mangling Fraser's handle
Old Jul 12, 2008, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Great report and pics ^^^
Old Jul 12, 2008, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
ambrosial
That alone makes it a trip report IMO ^

I was pretty gutted to lose out on the new CX F suites not once but twice. They were to be the highlight of my trip!

Originally Posted by bp888
I understand that this is a Trip Report but I for one would be very, very interested in the planning that went into the whole trip; i.e. how you researched your trip, why and how you settled on your itinerary, why you decided on oneworld explorer, what online and offline tools you used, tips and tricks... things of that nature. Perhaps you can call it "Part 0."
Nice idea! To be honest learning of the AONEx rules came from purely reading the oneworld forum. Credit to it, by reading that I had 99% of it down pat and the rest came from a thread I started in the oneworld forum.

As for the trip itself, well it was a real variety of things. The TripAdvisor forums had some really good info although for some places we had some good first hand info. For example a family friend had been to New Zealand numerous times in the last few years so was able to provide some great information. We'd read a number of guide books for each place to get a good range of info. My wife had been off work for a few months and she pretty much researched for this trip from January until we left! It was to the extent that when we returned I asked her out of habit if 'you've done any reading today for the trip', yes I reminded her that much!

My wife had done a lot of Europe (more than I and I grew up in the UK!) and Australasia before so we tried to pick places neither of us had been (Asia was a BIG hole!) and were both interested in. The only places either of us had been before was Bangkok (me) and south island NZ (her, but only a little) so we had some experience to put in together.

The internet really is a Xmas miracle when it comes to putting these kinds of complicated trips together. As I said to some work colleagues, 'you think planning one holiday is hard, try planning eleven simultaneously'.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the reports, as they get posted
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:40 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Fraser
I was pretty gutted to lose out on the new CX F suites not once but twice. They were to be the highlight of my trip!
What a bummer. Like every FTer I hate a configuration lottery and I purposely didn't get my hopes up beforehand. Also didn't tell SO or give him any inkling of what it might be like. You should have seen his face when he saw the suite! "Is all this mine?" It really is huge. At one stage while my bed was being made up I sat down next to him - yes, next to him on the same seat. It was a little cramped (like being in Y) but quite feasible. I'm sorry I didn't ask an FA to take a photo. What it lacked in aesthetics (two old farts on a love seat) it would have made up as an excellent demonstration of the space available.

PS Really sorry about misspelling your name.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:35 pm

Thanks Cheetah_Sa I am flying the new CX first from yyz to hkg in Nov. 08. I am very excited!
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that's an impressive trip report!^ As someone that's mostly a Star flyer, I'm very jealous of all of the cool airlines I don't get to see even nearly enough of.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
But someone before me had succeeded not only in dowsing the whole cubicle but also in soaking a huge area of the carpet in the hallway! It occurred to me it might have been someone from the FT BA board making a point.
LOL

Excellent reports Fraser, as always. ^
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Nice report Fraser. CHC actually has 2 runways (a cross-one is used by narrowbodies when the strong nor'wester blows) and does see a handful of larger a/c (A345, 777, the odd 747 and the various freighters bound for Antarctica).
Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:15 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I always enjoy reading Fraser's trip reports. I've only read the BA ones but I look forward to reading the rest later on. Great pics too! ^
Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:39 am

Great reports! ^
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:21 am
uk1
Suspended

Excellent reports and all the effort appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.