Search

Air Madagascar TLE to FTU

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 11:28 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Air Madagascar TLE to FTU

Yes this is a trip report for our domestic Air Madagascar flights during a recent 3 week trip to Madagascar. I have been dying to share this unique flight experience with my FT friends since the day we flew from Tulear to Fort Dauphin. Keep in mind this little 45 minute flight saves a 4 day overland adventure on some of the roughest roads in world. That being said here is our story.

We had the pleasure of 2 days at the southern Madagascar town of Ifaty. There is a beautiful resort hotel that has just been completely remodelled. It is owned by a Mauratian Company. It is built in the style of a Bali hotel and is called Les Dunes. We highly recommend this hotel for rest and relaxation. It is on the edge of the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world in the Channel of Mozambique. It really feels like the ends of the earth.

To purchase the air tickets we bought them from Cortez Travel in Antananarivo. The agency allegedly takes Visa cards but "the machine is not working". According to my friend in Tana it rarely if ever works. The only place in the entire country that took our Visa card was at Les Dunes Hotel. If you head to Madagascar take a debit card and lots of cash. So we head to the airport from the beach over a sand road that takes 90 minutes.

At the airport we check in at the desk. Literally a wooden desk like school teachers used to use or perhaps someone's dining room table. The flights were posted on the chalk board behind the check-in "desk".

After check in time to wait in the boarding area/bar/one room airport.

While we waited the airline offered our choice of cheese or meat sandwiches and a cold soda or beer. This was actually very nice for a flight of less than an hour. Giving the food while waiting makes sense.

Then the time comes and an air raid type siren blares loudly. This is both to alert the ground crew the incoming flight is eminent but also to clear the zebu (cattle) and animals off the runway.

Time to board. Bring your water bottle cause its ok. Shoes? Leave 'em on nobody cares. Um where is that metal detector anyway?

Time to fly. No assigned seats here. Just plop down anywhere.

It was actually a beautiful flight along Madagascar's southern most coastline. It sure beats the 4 day grueling drive option.

We love Madagascar. The flight from Fort Dauphin to Antananarivo was similar with the addition of more formal security screening. Eventually there will be a write up for the entire trip. Overall it was the best trip we have ever taken.

Last edited by ijkh; May 17, 2008 at 9:38 pm Reason: photo size
Old May 17, 2008, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Yes ijkh, please keep us up to date.

^^

I look forward to both the reporting and to see some of the sights. I've linked both this and your previous post about this airline into the Africa section of the Mid-East / Africa Trip Reports thread.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The pictures make it feel like I was there. Now I want to go.
Old May 20, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Interesting report.

My son has chosen that we will be living in Madagascar for one month. I would love any recommendations you could give us. My goal is to rent an apartment or house and then use that as the home base.

Were there any singing lemurs there?
Old May 21, 2008, 8:45 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Lucky olafman

Madagascar is a wonderful and unique country. I plan to do a full trip report when I get thet time. I would definitely base myself in the main city Antananarivo known by all as "Tana". Speaking French is helpful but not required. Driving is beyond difficult especially for the "Vazah" or foriegner. It would be for you to nice to rent a car and driver for the month if possible. I would be inclined to spend a month seeing the countryside. There is much to see in terms of beautiful natural wonders but mostly outside the main city. The national parks are all worthy of a visit. We did hear the fabulous singing Indri lemurs. Have a wonderful adventure. PM me if you have specific questions.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
ijkh, don't leave your note-taking or report writing too long!

Many of us have trips which we leave our reports for too long and then either don't post it or the report misses the immediacy of our feelings.

I'd love to see pics of these singing lemurs.

Keep up the good work. ^
Old May 21, 2008, 11:53 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Smile Done

I have begun my report with photos. Alas I need to up load DH's photos of the lemurs that sing. You just have to go hear them cry. It is amazing and beautiful. We loved Madagascar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.