Wiki Posts
Search

My Week At The Freddie's

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2008, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
My Week At The Freddie's

What better excuse to visit PHX than for the 10th edition of the Freddies?

Wednesday, April 23
Snagging the upgrade for OMA-MSP on NW I enjoyed an uneventful flight but had to settle for 7 and 7 as the Bacardi ran out on the last turn and they didn't load a new cart. MSP-PHX wasn't bad, but at third on the UG list I still came up short. When they did the elite boarding call it seemed that over 40 people lined up for the red carpet treatment.

After my arrival in PHX and a quick change of clothes it was off to McCormick and Schmitt's in the tony part of PHX near Camelback. Enjoyed a very nice dinner before heading off into the sunset.

Thursday, April 24
Ok, all dressed up and ready to go. Found a parking spot on the street around the corner from the Wyndham; good sign to start the night. Upon a prompt arrival at the hotel the cocktail party was found. Had a Fredtini before enjoying some heavily poured Cuba Libre's. What a great buffet dinner! No rubber chicken jokes for this crowd. It was nice seeing the photo album SkiAdcock put together for Randy. It was nice putting faces to names. Glad you made it from your epic journey Jaimito. Punki worked the room in true fashion. Watching the Starwood vs. Marriott duel brought back memories of Battle of the Network Stars. Due to a road trip down the highway the after-after party was skipped. The lampshades are safe for another day!

Friday, April 25
Well, even though it wasn't a business trip I did get a little work done. I was able to book VVI-EZE flights, as well as our flights to Iguazu Falls, for CowDo; then stumbled upon the new visa for Bolivia. Yes, our government and this ridiculous $131 visa fee is now turning out to be a tax on citizens who travel to other countries. It seems that each day a new country imposes a visa requirement for US citizens. Way to go geedubya!

The pool was calling but the water was chilly even though the temperature was in the 90's. Soon was off again for the sunny confines of Phoenix and a wonderful evening at Sam's. Many thanks to Jan_az for putting this together. The food and drink was good, the fellowship was even better!

It was nice seeing Mr. and Mrs. delacpa and finally meeting BoyAreMyArmsTired. She traded 'how I came up with my handle' stories with Baxter&Bessies'Mama. RSSrsvp felt slighted when he didn't get the nicer glass for his Limit2Margarita (well, he only had one, anyway!). FlyinHawaiin and I had a laugh about who is spartacus. And it was great seeing Ling again; last time was many years ago in LAS when my niece was born and we were both in town. Let's not make it that long until next time. Last, but certainly not least, is our newest newbie, Alief, who just found FT and was able to catch up with the Freddies and this cozy little dinner.

Saturday, April 26
Another great pool day. A nice lazy day. I was poured the biggest Cuba Libre's I have ever had, larger than those Tupperware tumblers! A couple of Blockbuster movies fit the bill. Finally was able to watch the entire Juno after twice getting about halfway through on the TATL flights a couple of months ago.

Sunday, April 27
I can get used to this. Morning coffee on the patio as the sun rises and the PHX newspaper gives you all the news fit to print. There is an uproar in Guadeloupe as the famous Sheriff Joe Arapaio does an immigration sweep there since the feds won't do it. He needs to find someone to lock up since they didn't take him up on his offer to take Paris Hilton.

A leisurely swim in the pool as the birds chirp and the somewhat rural feel of Chandler, AZ fills the senses. The service at Chateau du Chandler is truly Michelin four-star!

After a nice, leisurely lunch at Aunt Chilada's with a straight-A student and her grandparents it's off to the Arizona Science Center and the waning days of the Titanic Exhibit. The lines are long but the shade is just enough to keep us comfortable. Then the news is announced: the IMAX movie is malfunctioning so we will not be able to see it. But that gets us more time to enjoy the Titanic exhibit and we have time to spare before the entertainment for this evening.

Ok, Sunday night is here. The much-anticipated show starts and their is electricity in the air. It's Rain, a tribute band to The Beatles. The venue is the cozy Chandler Center for the Performing Arts. One couple even has their small child dressed up as Sgt. Pepper. Seats in the front corner of the right balcony give a great view of the entire stage and after five different eras of history and a medley of the many hits of the Fab Four it is time to come back to the current. The derby to get out of the parking lot is like watching an old Abbott and Costello movie. There is less courtesy here than the Jersey Turnpike. After finally getting into the main flow I spot the guy in the truck behind me with his D Bax personalized plate shaking his fist at me everytime I let someone from the next row in. Whatever happened to one-in, one-out?

A stop at a nice little microbrew for a midnight snack seems in order. A nice little burger and a brew on the patio under the bright AZ stars before heading home.

Monday, April 28
The day starts with coffee and news on the patio but the temperature starts to climb as the pool looks so nice and seems to call to me. Later in the day it's back to the pool for a nice dish of nachos to go with a cool beverage under the umbrella in the shallow end.

Ok, today is my turn to play chef. We scurry about the kitchen as my able-bodied sous chef helps to get things ready. Soon we are able to settle onto the patio for a nice dinner of sautee'd scallops and shrimp on a bed of Fettucine Alfredo, followed by another interesting movie from Blockbuster. But reality sets in as I know that my trip is nearing an end. I go online for OLCI and see no upgrades again. Is this an omen of what is to come with the Delta elite-lites that will soon join us in the quest for the elusive upgrades?

Tuesday, April 29
A nice little breakfast under a big palm tree at Wendy's is just what is needed to get ready for the flight home. A nice little snack bag for my coach ride home. PHX-MSP takes forever to board. No wonder why they now board domestic jet service 40 minutes out. There are wheelchairs and strollers everywhere. How ironic that I am AGAIN third on the UG list for one seat. Then they have a family seated in the exit row and the lady is incensed that her husband and 12-year old daughter can't sit there, not to mention the fact that she has an infant strapped to her torso! The husband continues to question the FA until I can no longer stand it. I explain to him that, in the event of an emergency, he will be more occupied with his family and we need him to get the door open. He takes the hint and they quiet down until they get them moved; you got it, right behind me now. But the baby doesn't make a peep the entire flight and I actually get a nap in.

Ok, last leg, MSP-OMA. Yes, another C9 but nothing up front yet. Then the magic call comes. Mr. Bunch, please see the agent...ok, even for Row 1 the UG is worth it. The second FA is new so the lead has to help her with everything so it seems like we get service just before the landing gear goes down. Only one pass of the snack basket. But we glide into OMA with only a couple of bumps in the windy weather. After the short walk to the curb and the nice little ride to the long-term lot I am back in my Honda, already missing the little burg that had become my second home.

All-in-all, a great trip. Good food, great weather, awesome friendship and fellowship. All made possible by the tiniest of threads that connect us as a result of FT.

Last edited by spartacus; May 5, 2008 at 12:11 am Reason: clarity
Old May 6, 2008, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like you had a fun trip.

Reciprocal visa fees are certainley annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.