Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ON THE ROAD AGAIN ~ From Alice Springs, NT to Tecopa Springs, CA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Out where the highways turn to breeze. . . . .

Mojave National Preserve: Kelso Road Southbound to Interstate 40

Joshua Tree National Park - 67 Miles

Colorado River as seen from old Route 66 just east of Needles, CA.

Old Apr 25, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Seat 2A.

I just had the finest of days. I woke up, put on a pot of coffee, and found this report. I opened the windows to listen to the spring rain and spent the next good while enjoying every minute of your trip. I had to run to class quick, but alas I was back at my desk by the window in seventy minutes.

The coffee was good; the report was excellent. Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:13 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Am in the BA First lounge at T5 and have just been transported to the great southwest. Thinking about turning around... well, not really...

Bravo and thanks 2A!
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:26 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
First rate reporting. Pictures are outstanding. May I ask what you are shooting with?

Also noticed the price of gas in Shoshone! And I though it was expensive in Los Angeles.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Totally speechless! Absolutely 100% ridiculously amazing!^
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:18 am

What can I say that I have not said before!! Yet again another great report. Alas, I did not have a good bottle of Cab to open so I had to settle for Kettle One Vodka Martinis. Your reports are simply the best. I for one love the detail. It seems that the distinguished Moomba from the BA board is more than happy to read your prose. I bet there are many more people from the BA board who love your reports as well.

Happy Travels^^^
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:33 am

Great trip report and glad to see you enjoyed Alice Springs enough to come back. I have lived here from 96 to 02 and then from jan 05 to present.
Both my children were born here. And yes, its a great little airport for a town
this size!
Old Apr 27, 2008, 4:54 am

Programs: QFF
Ditto to all the accolades. Well done and well deserved! A great read.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The Journey Continues. . . . .

Route 66 between Golden Shores and Oatman, Arizona

Route 66 climbing up Sitgreaves Pass

US 163 through Monument Valley on the Arizona - Utah border

Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you all for your kind comments on this trip report. An effort like this takes a lot of time to write and prepare, so I'm happy that it's being enjoyed.

Moomba raises an interesting point regarding inconsistencies in BA's First Class service. I don't doubt him for a moment, but honestly, for the most part I've been very pleased with BA's crews and service. If I've been lucky, I hope my streak continues!

It should be noted that while I've flown First Class on alot of different airlines, I may be less demanding than most. For example, it is of no consequence to me whether I am addressed by name or not. Onboard I expect comfortable accommodations, attentive service and a good meal.

As to my camera, it's a Canon Power Shot SD850IS. For a guy like me who knows nothing about photography, it's a great little camera. For my part, I simply make an effort to take nice pictures. As with my writing, my photography "skills" have no basis in knowledge or training but are instead entirely instinctual.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Another riveting trip report – thanks so much Seat 2A. I’ve been looking forward to reading about your return journey for what seems like an age.

I looked throught your pictures too - I thought it was just me that took photographs of my hotel rooms!

Already looking forward to reading the next one ^
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Moomba raises an interesting point regarding inconsistencies in BA's First Class service. I don't doubt him for a moment, but honestly, for the most part I've been very pleased with BA's crews and service. If I've been lucky, I hope my streak continues!

It should be noted that while I've flown First Class on alot of different airlines, I may be less demanding than most. For example, it is of no consequence to me whether I am addressed by name or not. Onboard I expect comfortable accommodations, attentive service and a good meal.
Seat 2A I see I was a little premature in my post earlier. I have now read the whole report and would say the service you received ex SYD was probably better than the worst I have had with BA. Last in year in particular was getting to be quite tedious with my BA F experiences. I wouldn't call myself demanding either but I do know what BA crew can do and in terms of attentiveness some of my crew last year let the side down. This year BA have redeemed themselves somewhat as I have had excellent crew 3 of 4 flights. (Two flights were the same great crew though ).

Sorry about my misspelling of your misreading of the winery. It is indeed Yering Station and a nice place to visit if you are ever in MEL again.

One point to note about the plastic cutlery ex Aus is that both QF and CX have metal cutlery, apart from the knives. The same cutlery you had in the lounge is used in F on QF. It seems it is BA who have decided not to bother with metal altogether.

I loved your pictures of the drive through Utah. Have you ever driven Scenic Byway 12 near Bryce Canyon? It is a spectacular drive the scenery changes so many times in the 140 odd miles of road. I had a most pleasant day a few years back driving this road.

Many thanks for putting in the time and effort to produce this report. It was a joy to read.

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 27, 2008 at 3:23 pm
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Quote:Have you ever driven Scenic Byway 12 near Bryce Canyon? It is a spectacular drive the scenery changes so many times in the 140 odd miles of road. I had a most pleasant day a few years back driving this road.

Funny you should mention this highway. Just yesterday, I started out of Mexican Hat, Utah, drove up Moeki Summit (Utah Hwy 261) to Utah Hwy 95, then through spectacular White Canyon to Capitol Reef National Park and on to southern Utah via Highway 12. Perhaps these pictures will bring back some good memories...

Utah Highway 261 climbing up Moeki Summit

Kaiparowits Plateau as seen from Utah Highway 12

Utah Highway 12 near Bryce Canyon National Park

Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Thoroughly enjoyable report - Thanks!

I love driving in the West[ern US]. There's something about the "next services 100 mi" sign that is at once a challenge and and escape. I've spent many long and introspective hours driving around the Interstates and back roads of Zion, Bryce, and into California and your report took me right back there!

Thanks again for a great read.

-C
Old Apr 28, 2008, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Hurrah another trip report by Seat 2A

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Why do I want to go to Tecopa Springs? To be honest, I was trying to think of a good title for this trip report and nothing was really working. I knew I’d be doing a road trip out west when I got back to the states, but I didn’t have any set itinerary. I usually never do.
So, I'm not alone in picking some destinations for the trip report title

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.