Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
Thats easy to answer. Simply take the menu off the plane with you.
Well now don't I just feel stupid. @:-)
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
Dumb etiquette question: when the the cabin is dark and you take the meal photos, do you get complaints from other PAX about the camera flash disturbing them? Dirty looks?

Reason I ask is that I have a RT from DCA via LHR to SYD (stop in HKG outbound and SIN on the return) and I'm thinking about trying to write my first TR but I'm worried about the flash disturbing the other F PAX.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly'nAAgain
Dumb etiquette question: when the the cabin is dark and you take the meal photos, do you get complaints from other PAX about the camera flash disturbing them? Dirty looks?

Reason I ask is that I have a RT from DCA via LHR to SYD (stop in HKG outbound and SIN on the return) and I'm thinking about trying to write my first TR but I'm worried about the flash disturbing the other F PAX.
I try to avoid using flash on airplanes just out of respect for other passengers. I usually just turn on my individual reading light and the pictures work out fine.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I try to avoid using flash on airplanes just out of respect for other passengers. I usually just turn on my individual reading light and the pictures work out fine.
Exactly. I've taken hundreds of airline meal photos and have never had to use the flash. Then again, I'm usually photographing First or Business Class meals where the available lighting may be better than back in Economy. So, depending upon what class you're traveling, you may not have a problem.

Basically, if you have to use a flash, don't.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Best not to flash other customers, regardless of your seating position.

That's the great thing about digital cameras - try to set it to take a pic indoors without flash and if it is too dark adjust settings and try again!
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:12 pm

Not knowing squat about photography....I am having reasonable success with a "Museum" setting on the camera..

Wouldn't dare use a flash.....
Old Apr 6, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I have to say, while a little different, this TR thread rates as one of my favourites.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I tried a search but couldn't find the funniest TR ever. It was written by an Australian guy who went to Japan and peppered his TR with some very colorful Aussie expressions. Can anyone find it?

I actually enjoy both the funny TR's like that one and the very detailed ones on flights, hotels, whatever-- those are the TR's that help me make decisions and help spawn a daydream when I'm feeling bored at the office.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 2:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Search TR forum by descending view count gives

SYD to LHR on a plane, which may be the one your refer to (despite the Japan reference)?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Search TR forum by descending view count gives

SYD to LHR on a plane, which may be the one your refer to (despite the Japan reference)?
No, that's not it. That's a good one, and I'm reading through it now. IIRC, the one I'm thinking of had a young guy who flew in Y, and I'm pretty sure it was from somewhere Down Under to Japan, perhaps Osaka. I've tried about a dozen searches for it, but I can't find it. I'll post a link if I do.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
What makes a great TR?

1. Absolutely, under no circumstances, must Economy travel be written up - unless the traveller paid for premium class and got involuntarily downgraded.
No one cares to read about what it's like to travel in WHY.

2. Menus, aircraft type, seat assignment and characterization of the cabin and seat must be provided, with pictures if at all possible.

3. A full description of the experience - including specific behaviours of check-in agents, lounge personnel, ground services and flight attendants should be included - how did these people interact with the traveller and validate his/her premium service experience? Or fail to do so?

4. Pictures of all catering - the presentation and quality of the food and beverage should be fully described. How well were the traveller's appetites sated?

5. Preferably, contextualize the premium experience. How much better was F than C?

6. Justify the ride - state fare paid. How did the value recieved compare to the price?

7. Intent to purchase again - would you pay for the experience next time, or select another carrier?

8. Annoyances and distractions - please describe detrimental factors such as noticeable NRSAs in the premium cabin, nasty F/A attitudes, presence of self-proclaimed upgraders, etc.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:10 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
What makes a great TR?

1. Absolutely, under no circumstances, must Economy travel be written up - unless the traveller paid for premium class and got involuntarily downgraded.
No one cares to read about what it's like to travel in WHY.

2. Menus, aircraft type, seat assignment and characterization of the cabin and seat must be provided, with pictures if at all possible.

3. A full description of the experience - including specific behaviours of check-in agents, lounge personnel, ground services and flight attendants should be included - how did these people interact with the traveller and validate his/her premium service experience? Or fail to do so?

4. Pictures of all catering - the presentation and quality of the food and beverage should be fully described. How well were the traveller's appetites sated?

5. Preferably, contextualize the premium experience. How much better was F than C?

6. Justify the ride - state fare paid. How did the value recieved compare to the price?

7. Intent to purchase again - would you pay for the experience next time, or select another carrier?

8. Annoyances and distractions - please describe detrimental factors such as noticeable NRSAs in the premium cabin, nasty F/A attitudes, presence of self-proclaimed upgraders, etc.
Not that you've given the matter any thought...
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Best not to flash other customers, regardless of your seating position.
Yes, I'm thinking about giving a TR a try myself, on an upcoming RTW on AA, BA and CX. I'll certainly put extra effort into not flashing other pax.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
1. Absolutely, under no circumstances, must Economy travel be written up - unless...involuntarily downgraded.
No one cares ...travel in WHY.

2. Menus, aircraft type, seat assignment and characterization of the cabin and seat ...with pictures...

3. A full description of the experience - including specific behaviours of check-in agents, lounge personnel, ground services and flight attendants ...premium service experience? Or fail to do so?

4. Pictures of all catering

I will take most of these seriously - thanks to our legendary Trip Reporters and our many contributors to some amazing reports.

My report will be posted soon. It was a mixture of classes and fares and airlines.

I will primarily relate my own experiences but also my partner's.
She is not a good flyer, although she loves travel.

I'll include your points (would have anyway, but must include the LCC horror! As warning not to be enticed by sales!)

I have to relate the horror of our recent trip.
As a contrast to the enjoyable experience in F and C seats, you must read the horror of JetStar LCC travel!
(Just to remind friends here - I am an idiot for booking this LCC to get us to our MR fare!)

A report for all the senses.

Coming soon.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There was great hilarity in the night on the premium sector of our trip.

Things that go bump in the night!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.