Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
When I go to the Trip Report Forum, I want to read reports on trips that have already happened or are currently happening. I have absolutely ZERO interest in reading about a trip that has yet to happen, least of all having to wade through all the usual "atta boy" comments from the over-abundance of kind hearted enablers in an effort to find out if the trip has in fact FINALLY commenced.
+1

I also get disappointed when I see jibber jabber instead of an actual report in this part of the forum, resulting in serious clogging.

BTW, I was just playing a word game with the other poster about reading only posts which are at least 3 months old.

Peace.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Slow_Mustang
+1. BTW, I was just playing a word game with the other poster about reading only posts which are at least 3 months old.
We’re cool - I understood your comment and saw the emoticon. I was just using your quote as a foil to make my point. ^

One more thing that I think would contribute to a “great” trip report, especially photo-reports focusing primarily upon a specific airline's aircraft and service, is to be a bit more judicious in the use of photographs. I've seen more than a few flight oriented reports here where the reporter/photographer will load up their report with a gazillion photos including shots of basic, everyday things like the check-in area or the doorway to their airline lounge or a crowded gate lounge and jetway. Worse yet, some reports include multiple photos of scintillating subjects like arm rest controls (Five different angles!) or four different pictures of the chopsticks accompanying the meal or pictures of the galley area or the sink in the airline lavatory.

Think. Just because the picture was taken doesn't mean it has to be included in the trip report. Might I recommend that instead of posting every single photo taken, post a link to the photo host site where interested readers can revel at leisure over all 97 photos from the flight between Milwaukee and Chicago.

Reports with an excess of photos take a lot longer for computers to load and honestly, I strongly suspect that very few readers really want to see five different photographed angles of the appetizer or check-in counters or lounge seating areas when just one or at most two or three will suffice nicely. I don't know about others here, but when confronted with reports that are loaded up with excessive photography of things like hotel hallways, crowded gate lounges and normal everyday legroom between seats, I tend to lose interest real quickly and just move on to another report.

And one last thing. Please DON'T post blurry photos as part of the trip report. Honestly, what's the point? It's a lousy photo - just dump it and move on. Or post a link to the photo host site where people who so desire can look over all of the photos - blurry and all.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 20, 2012 at 1:01 am
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
It's obviously not the clicking that's the issue but as I stated originally, just the feeling that certain members go to the TR forum and do a "drive by linking" and yet never contribute to FT outside of posting links to their blogs. I think you see this sometimes with folks from Airliners.net who come by and link to their TRs and don't seem to ever participate here. YMMV.
I actually agree with you on both points.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
If you don't like links to blogs, just boycott 'em. That's what I do now, even to some of the better ones. There's more than enough good content right here at the trip report forum, and every time someone visits that blog site justifies and enhances the use of blog links here at this forum.

If you truly want to support those who support and enhance FlyerTalk and this Trip Report forum by posting their reports here, boycott the blogs.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you don't like links to blogs, just boycott 'em. .
Wise words. ^
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Oh dear Seat 2A, you don't seem very happy.

I share a lot of your thoughts though. There are a couple of posters who do just post links to their blogs and disappear, some don't even come back to answer comments. That's not on if you ask me.

I'm also with you on people posting 'coming soon' threads. One recent one had several pages of comments and the trip hadn't even started yet.

Everyone has to remember though that there is no set formula for a trip report and everyone's style is different. For some, it might be their first report and their effort should be appreciated.

Why not discuss your thoughts with Moomba?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matthandy
Oh dear Seat 2A, you don't seem very happy.
Well you know, I did think about it a bit before posting my three comments and decided that where many of the comments here try hard to be really polite to the point of being downright circumspect, I felt a more direct tone might convey my thoughts with a better chance towards affecting change, particularly with regard to pre-trip advertisements and blog links which alot of people claim to dislike but don't really know what to do about rather than to politely voice their displeasure, which has thus far changed nothing. While I can see where to some I might sound unhappy or even downright mean, mainly I chose to make my point (which a fair number of others apparently also share) in a manner that might possibly set in motion the mechanisms of real change.

On the other hand, one could just as easily argue for a more diplomatic approach, especially here at FlyerTalk. As such, I've said my piece so do with it what you will and from here on I think I'll stick to writing trip reports and leave the judgment calls to others. Additionally, in the interest of a less abrasive commentary on heavily photographed trip reports, I have re-written my above comments in a kinder and gentler tone.

I look forward to reading many more great reports here at the Trip Report forum as well as an end to "Pre-Trip" report threads. While I'm at it I will continue to ignore blogs.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 1, 2012 at 12:31 am
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I look forward to reading many more great reports here at the Trip Report forum as well as an end to drive by blog linking and "Trip Report Coming Up" threads.
Many threads/posts on the TR forum do not comply with the text description of a TR.
You, too, can be a writer, by sharing your travel adventures with others. This is the home of some of the best reading anywhere in print (yeah, we know it's digital).
A link is not reading. Viewing endless images with little, if any text, is not reading / writing
The quality of trip reports in the few years has decreased.

The red triangle RBP is your friend. Use it !

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 11, 2012 at 12:05 am
Old Jun 10, 2012, 2:37 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Well you know, I did think about it a bit before posting my three comments and decided that where many of the comments here try hard to be really polite to the point of being downright circumspect, I felt a more direct tone might convey my thoughts with a better chance towards affecting change, particularly with regard to pre-trip advertisements and blog links which alot of people claim to dislike but don't really know what to do about rather than to politely voice their displeasure, which has thus far changed nothing. While I can see where to some I might sound unhappy or even downright mean, mainly I chose to make my point (which a fair number of others apparently also share) in a manner that might possibly set in motion the mechanisms of real change.

On the other hand, one could just as easily argue for a more diplomatic approach, especially here at FlyerTalk. As such, from here on I think I'll stick to writing trip reports and leave the judgment calls to others. Additionally, in the interest of a less abrasive commentary on heavily photographed trip reports, I have re-written my above comments in a kinder and gentler tone.

I look forward to reading many more great reports here at the Trip Report forum as well as an end to drive by blog linking and "Trip Report Coming Up" threads.
I think if there is someone who has earned the right to make the comments you made, it is certainly you. I'm not really fussed about the blog linking nor does it keep me awake at night if someone pre-advertises their upcoming trip. If I don't like it, I don't read it or subscribe.

What makes FT is the diversity. I do get sick and tired of the political correctness - but that's a wider issue.

I get that not everyone can write well, and that some people pour for hours over a keyboard - and to many the only true measure of success is by either the quantity or quality of comments received. After all, it would take a unique person to simply write a detailed trip report and not care one way or the other if he/she received any comments.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by eightblack
What makes FT is the diversity. I do get sick and tired of the political correctness - but that's a wider issue.
Thanks! As one of those who posts blog links, my 2 cents:

I just don't have the time in the day to post twice...once to the blog, and once to reformat it all with flyertalk-specific tagging. I do the best combo I can, posting the first few paragraphs/pics, and then linking to the rest.

However, I monitor the threat, and am very active on FT otherwise, so I don't feel too bad about it. For those that want to boycott the links, be my guest
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
As one of those who posts blog links, my 2 cents:

I just don't have the time in the day to post twice...once to the blog, and once to reformat it all with flyertalk-specific tagging. For those that want to boycott the links, be my guest
I can live with all the blog links. I just ignore them (or boycott them, if you will...). It's worth noting however that most of you bloggers made your bones here at FT, and now you don't have time to post twice? Fine. I'd simply prefer to give my attention to those who do take the time to support FlyerTalk and this forum. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 27, 2012 at 10:17 am
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jafa39
If you write the report as word doc and cut/paste the IMG links from photobucket you can then paste the whole TR into your blog and on here or annette with no extra work....regardless of the amount of pics.....some people seem to place an inordinate amount of importance on their blogs when I feel they should be supporting the FT forums and community......blogs are just a pose I really don't like leaving FT to read a TR on a blog.....you're not special people just coz you got a blog, come play on here with the rest of us :-)
My bold

Can someone confirm that this method (drafting in a word doc, copy and paste photo from photobucket) indeed works at FT? This could make life easier for trip report writers, and hence encourage more participation.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by allset2travel
My bold

Can someone confirm that this method (drafting in a word doc, copy and paste photo from photobucket) indeed works at FT? This could make life easier for trip report writers, and hence encourage more participation.
I certainly can because that's how I write my reports. In MS Word copy and pasting the links from my Smugmug and then copy and pasting to FT.

I'd also like to add that when I see the following comment:

This is my first report so be nice to me
I get annoyed. I don't mind you mentioning it's your first report, but often constructive criticism is more useful than "good report". It's also a bit rude to tell your readers what to do, especially in the first line.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I certainly can because that's how I write my reports. In MS Word copy and pasting the links from my Smugmug and then copy and pasting to FT. .....
This is cool ! Thanks ^
Need further tips in copying photos from smugmug (I have a pro account) to a word doc: what is optimal images size to select? Or just "right" click on photo to copy image?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
This is cool ! Thanks ^
Need further tips in copying photos from smugmug (I have a pro account) to a word doc: what is optimal images size to select? Or just "right" click on photo to copy image?
You're welcome!

I go to Share, Get a Link and then Embeddable Links and always select BB-Code-Large under Forums. I used Medium for a while and realized the larger size made for a better report.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.