Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: airpoints
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
What makes a great TR?

1. Absolutely, under no circumstances, must Economy travel be written up - unless the traveller paid for premium class and got involuntarily downgraded.
No one cares to read about what it's like to travel in WHY.

2. Menus, aircraft type, seat assignment and characterization of the cabin and seat must be provided, with pictures if at all possible.

3. A full description of the experience - including specific behaviours of check-in agents, lounge personnel, ground services and flight attendants should be included - how did these people interact with the traveller and validate his/her premium service experience? Or fail to do so?

4. Pictures of all catering - the presentation and quality of the food and beverage should be fully described. How well were the traveller's appetites sated?

5. Preferably, contextualize the premium experience. How much better was F than C?

6. Justify the ride - state fare paid. How did the value recieved compare to the price?

7. Intent to purchase again - would you pay for the experience next time, or select another carrier?

8. Annoyances and distractions - please describe detrimental factors such as noticeable NRSAs in the premium cabin, nasty F/A attitudes, presence of self-proclaimed upgraders, etc.
Oh dear, you won't like ANY of mine then....
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: QF
Arrow

I love reading peoples trip reports as you get a glimpse of what it's like to visit the destination ahead of time & walk a mile in their shoes - almost like a dress rehearsal.

Tips I find particularly interesting is the best lounge to use at an airport if you had access to more than one, the aircraft flown on & the seats they were in eg was their seat a good one, of so why eg quiet or why they wouldn't choose that seat again eg too close to galley etc.

Any tips for avoiding the pitfalls of travel like ground transportation eg do you need to pre-book a shuttle, use hotel transport, private car or taxi. Do they accept credit cards or do they take cash only.

Hotels stayed at & what was good about it like location, executive floor, free internet access or business centre, proximity to restaurants & other attractions, friendliness of staff.

I guess the ultimate compliment to the author of a TR would be to read it & as a result want to travel to that country to experience it first hand when it may be a destination you had not even considered before.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
A question for you kind folk.

As you know I am now a moderator of this fine board and as such I feel it is my duty to yet again bore you with more tales of my travels.

An extended spell on the ground whilst working, working, working has meant lots of time to plan and make life complicated for myself.

This coming year is looking something a complicated and stupid as this report.

Do readers like the format of the report above in one big report?

Would you rather I keep track of the whole thing with an itinerary planner at the start, like the above, or several smaller un-joined up reports?

Over to you.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Moomba ~

I'm sure I speak for many when I say we quite like being bored by your travels. You have taken us along on some marvelously complicated itineraries that I personally would prefer all together as one trip report yet completely understand the rationale behind posting incrementally. However you decide to do it, just do it! Happy Contrails! ^^
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
For me, I love all the photos of the hard product, the food, the room, the background. It gives me a sense of time and place that is hard to convey in words.

[

QUOTE=BiziBB;9459672]Is there a place on FT for a few tips on making a catchy, succinct, entertaining report?
[Mods, I understand this isn't the best place for this; can you advise if you have a preference for TR-related Q&A?]
  • How do you guys do it?
  • Please note what you think is the essence of a great trip report.
  • Catchy title
  • Novelty
  • drama
  • Suspense
  • Black or blue comedy
  • Upgrades, compensation or free Krug
  • Spotting & talking to other FTers
  • Great personalities met along the way
  • Wow pics
  • Being the first to report on a special MR or error fare
  • Monster mileage run
  • Making a career out of flying (between meetings, of course) ... You know who I mean!
  • Great saves, comebacks and triumphs against the odds
  • Wit
  • ? ? ? ? ? ?
[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Moomba
A question for you kind folk.
Hi Mod Moomba.......A good question.

I would personally prefer a completely new thread. I feel it gives a fresh feel to the report when it gets a thread of its own.
I usually look at the start date of a thread and tend to ignore ones that have been around for a long time.....thinking they've been bumped by a readers response rather than the author adding a new flight report to it.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I usually look at the start date of a thread and tend to ignore ones that have been around for a long time.....thinking they've been bumped by a readers response rather than the author adding a new flight report to it.
, but then you'd miss out on all of the updates......

I personally don't like having to jump around to lots of different threads to read about a full journey. It breaks up the continuity.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by matthandy
, but then you'd miss out on all of the updates......
I was thinking more for those reports that have a long period of time between sectors. Reports that get added to every few days or couple of weeks are okay for the one thread. Whereas those that have a long hiatus of months between sectors are more likely to be overlooked....by accident rather than choice.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:07 am

I agree then, those aren't good, I get bored of waiting for updates.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:29 pm

I agree then, those aren't good, I get bored of waiting for updates.
And another thing I don't like are threads which direct you to a Blog to read the report or see the pictures.
Why do people do this when it would only take a few seconds to copy and paste the report on to the FT thread....which they have started anyway.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:34 pm

Why do people do this when it would only take a few seconds to copy and paste the report on to the FT thread....which they have started anyway.
Some people have adverts on their blogs, so they make money for that. Other peple mostly post on their blogs anyway, with FT being a side interest.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:51 am

Some people have adverts on their blogs, so they make money for that..
Really?

More reason to avoid them then.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
In regard to the great epics, sometime "breaking them up" into smaller chunks is not a bad thing.

I don't just do "post a link, off you go" (even how nice it would be to the traffic stats) as this is a forum, and forums are for sharing. The fact I use 2 different image hosting services are causing problems when I write my epics (there are reasons that are so inane I'm not going into them).

Saying that, it takes me on average 2 hours to paste and post a report... and that's before I get it over to the blog so I can add additional content on it. By that point 4 hours has gone, it's past midnight and I realise I've skipped dinner....

(And as a personal policy on my blog, I don't carry any advertising and count on one finger the number of times I've put referral links that make money - and failed miserably... I suppose I'm no good at monetising my content... )
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: FB Plat lifetimer,BA, US, LH
And another thing I don't like are threads which direct you to a Blog to read the report or see the pictures.
I am one of the people doing this. Why? Easy. No commercial background. My blog is still free of any ads ( I will change this ). I see my blog as a long term project for airline testing and reporting. If you like it or not, this is my main posting page. I share the txt files by easy copy and paste and give the link to the people ( with much more trip reports on the same site, if somebody wants ). On my site, I have unlimited space and traffic. With lots of other sources I have to upload my photos to any webhoster and post links. If you do this, you will get finally a tripreport like the one of Moomba, which I personally do not like. You have the text and you have to klick onto pictures separately. So all the atmosphere of a nice dinner or an excellent seat is gone, when you finally see the pics. Or you have to stop reading and look at the pics separately.

My trip reports are always only one click away. I hope you enjoy them on my site with all the pics. Otherwise you will always find the text only version here and on a.net

Hope you understand why I act like I do it. I will not change it!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: FB Plat lifetimer,BA, US, LH
Really?

More reason to avoid them then.
Why? Some posters spend really a hell of time and work into writing those trip reports. Those reports are a really big value for flyertalk, which has only on this site 4 ads. Why do you oppose those people, doing so much work and giving so much to the FT community getting some cents back for what they are doing? Thats not big money earning, this is more like getting a free beer every two month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.