Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well said, Mr. K. Please keep in mind that my response represents only my opinion. I certainly don't put it out there as an edict, nor would I expect it to be taken as such.

As one who's flown almost 5 million miles (and even if I'd only flown 300,000 miles), mundane pictures such as I've described do nothing for me. I gain nothing of relevance from them, and ultimately they just take up wasted space in the portion of a trip report that could better be described with words - as you are more than capable of doing quite eloquently, I might add. Regardless, to each his or her own, especially given that my opinion, as noted, is very likely a minority opinion as well.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 19, 2014 at 6:11 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Haven't had a chance to read this massive thread all the way through but getting an idea from recent posts on what not to post. I'll try to keep the J class photos to a minimum, although riding an A380 pretty soon will be something I'll try to frame tastefully in my report. As I'm flying from Toronto, I will spare everyone the pain that is Pearson Terminal 1 (or 3 for that matter).

I am curious what everyone's favorite photo site is for links? I've used imgur myself on other sites such as reddit, and have had pretty good luck, but some folks use flickr. Does one or the other lend itself better to posting on Flyertalk?

I may take the occassional video and link to it, but I don't have the skill or eye like users such as sfflyer123 to do a fuller trip report.

Last edited by TravellingBeard; Oct 20, 2014 at 7:34 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
but some folks use flickr. Does one or the other lend itself better to posting on Flyertalk?
Flickr gives you one terabyte free storage and plenty of customization options, so I use it as my main photo hosting mirror.

-LPDAL
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
Originally Posted by LPDAL
LPDAL
What makes a great trip report? In the case of LPDAL here, it's a rainman-esque level of detail and background. Keep up the good work young Colby! ^
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Thinking of posting a long road trip report - of some 5 or 6 weeks involving 15 states and circa 5,000 miles.

Is it better to start the topic and then reserve several replies below (probably quite a few in my case) or just post replies as and when.

Just looking for the best way to do a long trip report and whether it would be of interest?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Thinking of posting a long road trip report - of some 5 or 6 weeks involving 15 states and circa 5,000 miles.

Is it better to start the topic and then reserve several replies below (probably quite a few in my case) or just post replies as and when.

Just looking for the best way to do a long trip report and whether it would be of interest?
Personally, I write the entire report and post it only when it's finished. That's also how I prefer to read reports.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Silly question: I'm on the very first leg of a trip to/from Europe. Is it permissable to open a TR report thread early, and just add as you go? Or is the proper course to just post it all at once?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
Silly question: I'm on the very first leg of a trip to/from Europe. Is it permissable to open a TR report thread early, and just add as you go? Or is the proper course to just post it all at once?

Thanks!
There's no rule as such. Most people prefer to write as they go.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Swept this board and tried to take everything on board, in prep for my first trip report. Great resource.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.