Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
What site do people use for the pastel yellow/blue world maps with the flights? I thought I found one but it only allows 4 airports.
Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
What site do people use for the pastel yellow/blue world maps with the flights? I thought I found one but it only allows 4 airports.
Thanks
Great Circle Mapper

www.gcmap.com
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:18 pm

I think a trip report is best when it includes information on the places you went to, places you ate, partied, drank, etc.

It's nice to see planes and hotels but honestly, it's quite boring. Especially the hotel part.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
I think a trip report is best when it includes information on the places you went to, places you ate, partied, drank, etc.

It's nice to see planes and hotels but honestly, it's quite boring. Especially the hotel part.
If its a travelogue you want, there are a wide range of places where you can read all about "information on the places you went to, places you ate, partied, drank, etc."

Although FlyerTalk has rounded into an overall travel site, at its roots it was and I think still is a site for frequent travelers to discuss issues important to them such as hotels and airplanes, both of which we use regularly. As frequent travelers, more than a few of us are interested in the inflight product - both hard and soft - aboard the world's airlines. We're also interested in quality accommodations on the ground. What can we expect? Is it worth spending our money, miles or points on? What do other experienced travelers (NOT your once a year vacationers who'd think US Air's domestic red-eye First Class was awesome) think? What are their recommendations?

A typical travelogue would contain no more information about say - a First Class flight on Qantas' A380 to Sydney other than "We really loved the suites! And the food was fantastic! What a great flight!" That does nothing for those us thinking of booking a premium class seat with Qantas.

If you want to read all about what to do, where to drink and party etc., just Google something like "Prague What to do" or "Sydney Where to drink" and you'll be delivered to more satisfying travelogues or blogs than you can shake a stick at. You'll even find a few here at FlyerTalk now and then.

But please, don't complain about airline and hotel oriented trip reports at a site that specializes in discussion on both by people who are for the most part interested in both.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 25, 2014 at 9:29 am
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I like a well rounded report myself so when I write them, I make sure the destination is interesting enough to warrant a TR but that the flights are also interesting enough that traditional FTers that Seat 2A alludes to have something to enjoy as well.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by grahamh
Great trip reports people, keep posting. Can I make a request? Can you post some pictures of aircraft lavatories please as I am interested to know how much emphasis is placed on lavatories in terms of; look, comfort, hygiene, lighting, colours, complimentary toiletries etc etc. All classes for all airlines please!!!

This is an area overlooked by airlines but in fact has the highest footfall area of the aircraft interior.
I am with you here. I'd like to know if a first class one it is better or bigger than the normal bathroom. If one is paying a premium price for quality, I'd like to know if a toilet has the same quality. How can you change in to pj's of bed attire if you're in a space a quarter of the size of a broom closet.

When I had only travelled economy I assumed that the loos up front were an oasis of space and tranquillity! Oh how wrong was I. I've been squished in many a premium loo ALONE. God forbid trying to join the mile high club. No chance in heck fitting 2 folks in there!
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:22 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I am with you here. I'd like to know if a first class one it is better or bigger than the normal bathroom. If one is paying a premium price for quality, I'd like to know if a toilet has the same quality. How can you change in to pj's of bed attire if you're in a space a quarter of the size of a broom closet.

When I had only travelled economy I assumed that the loos up front were an oasis of space and tranquillity! Oh how wrong was I. I've been squished in many a premium loo ALONE. God forbid trying to join the mile high club. No chance in heck fitting 2 folks in there!
I think you might change your mind if you saw the size of EK's F bathroom on the A380 or LH's A380. They are both spectacular and while I wouldnt know anything about the Mile High Club, I'm sure if you could convince a member of the opposite sex to join you, there would be no problems. Getting past the shower attendant on EK is another matter. Same applies for the LH crew who work in F. Very officious those Germans
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by eightblack
Very officious those Germans
Only on the surface...

Check out this tour of the FCT, from 2:50 onwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riVwcISBGas

It's old and the image quality is lousy, but if you have only the slightest notion of german, you might revise your opinion a bit...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:54 am

What makes a great trip report?

Use short, easy to read, paragraphs. Some people write their reports with just one or two thousand word, hard to read, paragraphs.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by alliance
I like the wide variety of trip reports we get here in the Trip Reports forum.

Some are long.
Some are short.
Some involve Krug.
Some involve Korbel.
Some have pictures.
Some do not.
Some are funny.
Some are not.

Everything on your list sounds good to me. But I wouldn't try and define any one type or component of a report as being greater than any other.
I don't know what you mean ?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can a trip report be too detailed or too long? I'm writing about a SQ Suites trip and The Private Room.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Can a trip report be too detailed or too long? I'm writing about a SQ Suites trip and The Private Room.
Not in my opinion though obviously you can cut down on redundant photos when possible.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Re. Can a trip report be too detailed or too long?

Originally Posted by CMK10
Not in my opinion though obviously you can cut down on redundant photos when possible.
Exactly! For me the most annoying aspect of most trip reports (75% of them are predominantly photo reports, anyway) is an abundance of redundant photos, especially of irrelevant things that have little or no bearing on why your premium class flight aboard ABC Airlines was so fantastic.

Honestly, if you're looking forward to being shown through pictures why a flight on some well regarded airline was so amazing, do you really need to be shown even one - much less multiple pictures - of:
  1. The sign indicating "First Class Check-In" at your departure airport
  2. The crowded (or uncrowded) check-in area
  3. The hallway walking to your lounge
  4. The lounge doorway
  5. Basic, nothing special lounge seating areas, many with people wandering about
  6. The walk down the crowded concourse to your gate
  7. The crowded gate lounge
  8. Standing in the jetway
  9. Photos of every single different aspect of your seat
  10. More than one or two (at most) pictures of each course of your meal
  11. Blurred pictures - If it's not clear, don't submit it

Like most people here, I've flown enough that I know very well what an airport check in area or gate lounge look like. I'm not saying don't take any airport pictures at all (some terminals are pretty amazing) and I'm also not saying don't take any pictures of your airline's First Class lounge. I am hoping however that more trip reporters would take the time to compose and present intelligent photographs. Pictures of people standing around in crowded gate lounges and jetways - much less multiple pictures of them - are not particularly interesting and contribute nothing to showing me what it's like to fly First Class on say, Singapore Airlines. Show me intelligent pictures!

Just because the picture was taken doesn't mean it has to be imbedded in the trip report.

One can always provide a link to their photo album for those who absolutely must see all 189 pictures of a 3.5 hour flight.

Now I realize mine is an unpopular viewpoint here amongst so many photo report fans, but I sincerely feel that an earnest attempt to provide better, more intelligently composed pictures will indeed result in better - if not great - trip reports.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 5, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
I seem to type a lot and just worried folks would be bored with lots of stuff that made my trip what it was. I don't get the heaps of unnecessary or similar photos either. I'm still working out how to put in pictures.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Honestly, if you're looking forward to being shown through pictures why a flight on some well regarded airline was so amazing, do you really need to be shown even one - much less multiple pictures - of:
  1. The sign indicating "First Class Check-In" at your departure airport
  2. The crowded (or uncrowded) check-in area
  3. The hallway walking to your lounge
  4. The lounge doorway
  5. Basic, nothing special lounge seating areas, many with people wandering about
  6. The walk down the crowded concourse to your gate
  7. The crowded gate lounge
  8. Standing in the jetway

Like most people here, I've flown enough that I know very well what an airport check in area or gate lounge look like. I'm not saying don't take any airport pictures at all (some terminals are pretty amazing) and I'm also not saying don't take any pictures of your airline's First Class lounge. I am hoping however that more trip reporters would take the time to put out intelligent pictures. Pictures highlighting gate lounges and jetways - much less multiple pictures of them - are not particularly interesting and contribute nothing to showing me what it's like to fly First Class on say, Singapore Airlines. Show me intelligent pictures!

Just because the picture was taken doesn't mean it has to be imbedded in the trip report.

One can always provide a link to their photo album for those who absolutely must see all 189 pictures of a 3.5 hour flight.

Now I realize mine is an unpopular viewpoint here amongst so many photo report fans, but I sincerely feel that an earnest and intelligent attempt to provide better pictures will indeed result in better - if not great - trip reports.
I think you've earned the right to give any viewpoint you want on Flyertalk, especially in this forum!

First, I agree with your statement of just because you took it, don't post it. Though the examples you gave above, I do take a lot of those shots. My style of report (which can be viewed by clicking on my handle) is that I'm going to take you through the natural progression of my trip. You will go as I went and see it how I did. I've also found that sign pictures (highway signs, welcome signs, lounge signs etc.) are great as transition shots. This is more so true on Facebook rather than Flyertalk where I can use text for my transition, but I don't want the reader to say "wait weren't we just on a plane, why is he in his hotel?" That's why I like a good "Welcome to x" sign and maybe a highway sign too.

I do agree on redundant pictures though. I know it's hard, especially when you find something so beautiful, but unless it's informative, some of the shots can go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.