Wiki Posts
Search

Usa 2010 tour

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Usa 2010 tour

This was our sixth visit to the USA with our first 2 being as far back as 1974 and 1976. We reconnected in 2004 after a 28 year hiatus. My wife has become less and less comfortable flying which makes our travel interesting.

19th MAY We left the Gold Coast on the 06:34 Airtrain bound for the Brisbane International Terminal and arrived just after 8:00. We were flyiing on our first international flight with VAustralia in premium economy. There was no one in line at checkin in the PE line so 5 mins. later we were on our way through security and immigration and on to duty free. We have adopted the policy of buying our alcohol limit on departure and collecting it on our return. We then settled down in the general passenger area prior to heading to the gate with a coffee and danish. So far it was a breeze but we still had a 2+ hour wait before departing. Later about 20 mins. prior to the advertised boarding time we moved to the departure gate which was the last to the left side as you face the tarmac. We commenced boarding on time before economy passengers but after business class.

BNE-LAX VA7 BOEING 777 Departure 11:00am Arrival 7:00am same day

We entered the plane via door 2 whilst Business passengers entered via door 1. Later the bridge to door 2 went US so business then had the stragglers coming through business class and I heard an apology from the csm. We were offered OJ or something sparkling not sure. Our seats were in the centre on left aisle and one. The seats were much better than my last few trips on QF in Y. I really welcomed the extra leg room. Sleeping wise tho was still difficult. Meal service was prompt and when I find the menu I will edit to include. I used the self service bar frequently and met a few of my fellow travellers there. Not a lot of room to congegate.

We arrived ahead of schedule into LAX and as we were taxing to the gate I saw all other gates were empty so we had an easy passage through immigration and were soon out of TBIT and heading to Southwest in terminal 1. I had originally booked an 8:45 flight to MCI direct but when the flight from BNE was scheduled later than original I changed to a later flight via LAS. As it was we could easily have made the earlier flight but I am a cautious man most times.

LAX-LAS-MCI BOEING 737 Flight 0047 Departure 10:25 Arrival 11:30 LAS Flight 0227 Departure 12:35 Arrival 17:20 MCI

This was the first time we had flown Southwest and for domestic service I found them okay and at least on par with AA. Whilst waiting in the terminal at LAX I observed a man probably from Texas or Oklahoma I suppose in a stetson who ended up on our flight to LAS. After we changed gates in LAS I again noticed him waiting near our gate and he joined our flight to MCI. I kidded to my wife that he was tailing us. On arrival in MCI we were only able to collect 1 of our 3 bags. We went to the office and were assisted by enthusiastic staff who advised that they would locate our bags and have them delivered to our hotel even tho we were then on our way to Warrensburg about 75 miles out of MCI. Lo and Behold who should also have a lost bag but the cowboy. Both of us laughed as we were the last passengers from the flight left at the airport.

WARRENSBURG MO

The wife is not happy as all her clothes were in the missing bags and so was my GPS. We hop the bus to the Car Rental Facility and pick up our car from National and head our onto the highway. Luckily I had driven here before and it was straight out onto 435 and down to 70 East. We checkin at Holiday Inn in Warrensburg where we had stayed before and get an early night. We had stayed here in 2008. Next morning we meet friend April and her girls at Maccas for breakfast before the kids go to school and then on to Windsor Mo. to see April's parents Bill & Mary. We had met Bill in 1976 whilst on that visit. Next day we toured the region with Bill as the guide and visted the capital Jefferson City. On Saturday we went into Kansas City and visited on the First World War National Museum.

23rd MAY Today we head back out onto 70 East to St. Louis and book in to the Sheraton City Center.

ST. LOUIS MO

We are welcomed at reception and upgraded to a Junior Suite and have our parking comped. Later we head out to dinner at Max and Ermas. We walk the several blocks to the restaurant but decide to cab it back. Next morning we venture out to the Transport Museum and later drop into the Missouri History Museum.

Last edited by Lonely Flyer; Aug 8, 2010 at 1:34 am
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
This is being expanded as quickly as possible. Sorry for anyone who has viewed and thought it lacked substance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.