My Journey to Every Country in the World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Journey to Every Country in the World

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 4:54 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I should have visited there when we were in Georgia in 2005... I think even then though it was tricky to visit.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by DanielW
Interesting article on the quasi-country, South Ossetia. The Russians recently signed a treaty giving them control of defence and the borders, and have started putting a razor wire, sand-bagged gun positions and observation towers, cutting off families from their land and villages:
I'll assume the TCC will be adding Crimea in the next go-around to its country list...
Old May 26, 2015, 1:28 pm

16 more to go.. and two planned over July 4th.. Moldova and Slovenia.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I'll assume the TCC will be adding Crimea in the next go-around to its country list...
If they weren't beheading any and every westerner they could get their hands on, I reckon the Islamic State would be a shoo-in as a new 'quasi-country' too.

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Sounds like you've almost got Europe 'conquered'! So what is going to be country #184?
Old May 27, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by DanielW
If they weren't beheading any and every westerner they could get their hands on, I reckon the Islamic State would be a shoo-in as a new 'quasi-country' too.

Sounds like you've almost got Europe 'conquered'! So what is going to be country #184?
CAR most likely... in September.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Hey, I'm also planning to go to Turkmenistan this summer, probably in August or September but I'm still figuring out itinerary. All I know is that I'm getting to Almaty mid-July to apply for all my visas. I'm definitely a budget traveller and had planned to do transit visa tour (ps this requires overland travel in AND out, which took me a while to figure out). However I'm open to doing tourist visa tour if theres more people to go with. I've got flexibility with dates fwiw.

I did a lot of research and best prices by far were with Travel Notoria, though that other operator sounds similar price (but TN also included tour to a place or couple like Merv, gas crater, Konye, etc as well as border transport). I understand this is because they are actually located in Turkmenistan and most other agecies are abroad and take a cut. Generally good reviews and in talking with them myself they have been really helpful and prompt.

I guess if you're planning a trip to Turkmenistan you already know about Caravanistan, but throwing it out there if you don't.

Feel free to contact me if anyone's interested in joining forces!
Old May 28, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
And Transnistira I hope!
Old May 28, 2015, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
And Transnistira I hope!
Of course.

I might even throw in Croatia but that will be a real cheater... Basically have a 23h40m layover in Vienna on an award ticket... Can you take a rental car from Austria to Slovenia/Croatia?

Last edited by hauteboy; May 28, 2015 at 1:58 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Of course.

I might even throw in Croatia but that will be a real cheater... Basically have a 23h40m layover in Vienna on an award ticket... Can you take a rental car from Austria to Slovenia/Croatia?
What I have learned is that rental car companies will often tell you no, but you can do it anyway.

It's that easy!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
Cool thread - I have to make me one of those maps hauteboy posted!
Wish I'd run into it before some of the trips I've taken the last year or two, would have given me some great ideas.

I can second Dag Syyahat in Turkmenistan being solid and also decently priced. I went with them last September to see the flaming gas craters - which was neat - and also to check out ancient Merv/Margush.
Ashgabat is a really odd place but very striking - white marble everywhere. Dag put me up at a military-affiliated hotel (I think it was specifically the hotel for the internal security branch of the service), which was a neat bit of local color - bunch of young soldiers in their uniforms and so on, rather curious about the one Westerner staying there. Caveat: not a lot of English spoken there; I'm not sure how it would feel if one didn't speak at least some Russian

I think I also used some of Advantour's help to get my Uzbek visa and they didn't push me to do more than book a hotel with them, or something along those lines.

11 nations to go here, not counting some of the quasi-nations that are floating around.
I'm off next week for Armenia, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Angola, and Niger. Angola's visa was as much a pain as is often reported. I'll post elsewhere about that process.

That will leave me with just 4 countries to go - unfortunately, one is Libya, which just gets iffier and iffier.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Tychian
I can second Dag Syyahat in Turkmenistan being solid and also decently priced. I went with them last September to see the flaming gas craters - which was neat - and also to check out ancient Merv/Margush.
That will leave me with just 4 countries to go - unfortunately, one is Libya, which just gets iffier and iffier.
I've been shot down twice now by Turkmenistan - the Government refuses to issue the Letter of Invitation. Not sure who I upset and how. Will try again in a few months...ugh!

Angola was a giant pain, pretty sure it took Hauteboy and I at least a dozen visits to the embassy before they would finally issue it.

18 to go here, soon to be 14 after an upcoming trip to Chad/CAR/Yemen/Mongolia. Then down to 11 after Cuba/Algeria/Bahamas in November.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
Originally Posted by ironmanjt

Angola was a giant pain, pretty sure it took Hauteboy and I at least a dozen visits to the embassy before they would finally issue it.
I just got an Angolan Short Term Visa in 08 days from London Consulate recently. I had all documents in order and asked for an express service which was advertised on website a month or so ago (but now seems to have been removed) for an additional fee. Normal processing time is 15 days but express service is/was 10 days. They said they would try and do it in 08 days and I got mine in 08 days. Turned up on day 08 and was told to go for lunch till Head of Consular Service returned to sign it and hey presto, I had it. Unbelievable. 2.5 trips to Consulate and it was obtained this time.

When I went a few years ago to London Consulate, I was told visas are not available even though I was invited by letter by one of the largest companies in Angola in which Government has a large stake - Consulate claimed the letter was phoney! I hjad to go to Joburg to get it then.

Things are improving at the Angolan Consulates!?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:58 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Anyone visit St. Pierre et Miquelon (with anecdote to match)?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tychian
Cool thread - I have to make me one of those maps hauteboy posted!
Wish I'd run into it before some of the trips I've taken the last year or two, would have given me some great ideas.

Ashgabat is a really odd place but very striking - white marble everywhere. Dag put me up at a military-affiliated hotel (I think it was specifically the hotel for the internal security branch of the service), which was a neat bit of local color - bunch of young soldiers in their uniforms and so on, rather curious about the one Westerner staying there. Caveat: not a lot of English spoken there; I'm not sure how it would feel if one didn't speak at least some Russian

I think I also used some of Advantour's help to get my Uzbek visa and they didn't push me to do more than book a hotel with them, or something along those lines.

11 nations to go here, not counting some of the quasi-nations that are floating around.
I'm off next week for Armenia, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Angola, and Niger. Angola's visa was as much a pain as is often reported. I'll post elsewhere about that process.

Yeah Libya is one of my remaining ones as well, found a company that will issue a visa but $$$$... was planning on going in Jan (Tunisair had TIP loaded in their schedule) but seems they've zeroed out inventory now. I'm at 12 remaining now, with 11 in two weeks after a trip to CAR with ironmanjt.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
Yeah Libya is one of my remaining ones as well, found a company that will issue a visa but $$$$... was planning on going in Jan (Tunisair had TIP loaded in their schedule) but seems they've zeroed out inventory now. I'm at 12 remaining now, with 11 in two weeks after a trip to CAR with ironmanjt.
haute - I'd be interested in teaming up for Libya if you're interested. Security situation is pretty variable from what I can judge, as are flights - didn't see the TunisAir flights coming back, I've been hoping Turkish would re-enter, they held out for some time before shutting down their Libyan flights

Kicking myself that two years ago I had a ticket to Tripoli on a RTW award but dropped it due to visa nuttiness feeling too shady (that was the window where they'd issue business visas for 300 USD or so through a sponsor)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.