Around the World in Under 60 Hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around the World in Under 60 Hours

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Doh !, I'm guessing you came off the 13:15 from LHR ?

I must have seen you come out as I was picking up a friend off that flight. I must learn to check ba97 more often, sorry to have missed you.

As to the weather, sorry to disappoint you, that's normal round these parts. We do get a summer, some random Tuesday....usually in July.....once a decade.
Old May 16, 2007, 6:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Yup - that's the flight. Sorry to miss you.

As for the weather, yeah in all my visits to UK I have seen the sun twice, but the second time was in a different year to the first time.
Old May 17, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Great report, Kiwi Flyer. I'm looking forward to my own version of this in about 17 hours
Old May 17, 2007, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I forgot to mention Mr Fyfe was on the flight from Auckland to London. He played his Airline CEO card to jump to the front of the security queue at LAX
Old May 17, 2007, 2:03 pm

Pardon me for enquiring, but ...

Originally Posted by tht

I met Kiwi Flyer gain at the domestic Kuru club for a coffee. He had a shower and left for work, and I am now waiting for my flight, also showered n feeling surprisingly good for having been around the world in less than 60 hours!
I am astounded that you actually have any time for work with all the traveling you seem to get to do!

or is it just that you have a different definition of "work" than the rest of us unfortunates?
Old May 17, 2007, 6:15 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Originally Posted by limeyx
Pardon me for enquiring, but ...

I am astounded that you actually have any time for work with all the traveling you seem to get to do!

or is it just that you have a different definition of "work" than the rest of us unfortunates?
Kiwiflyer

I have been tempted to make the same comment . I think your trip reports are great. They take me back about 20 years ago when I used to do something similar and enjoyed it immensely.

Last edited by WellingtonFF; May 18, 2007 at 12:57 am
Old May 18, 2007, 4:16 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Originally Posted by TEX277
...and by somebody that has been fortunate enough to travel in some of the world's finest First class cabins! That had to hurt!

I did a RTW business trip in three weeks last year down the back, after always travelling up the front for the past 30 years until recently, with 10 cities and the last week being a series of one or two night stands, and the long haul sectors being chockers

It nearly killed both myself and my travelling companion in our advanced years.

The thing that really pissed me off was the quality of the Y class wine on SQ. The trusty Jacobs Creek left it for dead , and it was extraordinally difficult getting it in the quantities that are normal on NZ or QF for Kiwis and Aussies.

Never again.

Off again on a similar exercise in about a month, but definitely up front, with most of the long haul being on SQ Looks like NW though for a side trip from LHR to the US and return which will be interesting to see - I used to fly them a lot from the US to Tokyo and Seoul many years ago, and they were very ordinary indeed then.

I think in our part of the world we are very spoilt by most of the Asian airlines, and NZ and QF.

As for US domestic travel, that is something again, whether it is up the front or down the back. I will be experiencing the joys of UA
Old May 21, 2007, 6:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I do have to work but try to fit it around travel. Took several hours off on the Monday, the trip being done over a weekend.
Old May 29, 2007, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Nice report! Like so many others, I cringe at the thought of doing this trip in Economy Class but I reckon I would've done it too if the price and potential mileage earnings were right. The last time I flew Economy Class to New Zealand was on a mileage award aboard United in 2001. As a Mileage Plus Premier I was able to score seats in the Economy Plus section with its 35" pitch. I was curious what the seat pitch is on NZ?
Old May 29, 2007, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I was able to score seats in the Economy Plus section with its 35" pitch. I was curious what the seat pitch is on NZ?
I believe the pitch on NZ 747s is 34" across economy class, the 777s and 767s slightly less at 32".
Old May 29, 2007, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Yup, and those are normal economy. Premium economy, a separate cabin, has considerably more pitch.

See also NZ seating thread
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Cost?

Just curious, Kiwi, i remember seeing the Mother's Day sale back then, but forget how much the tickets cost. Do you recall? Also, how many miles were you able to earn?

Amazing trip report! We'll be passing through AKL in Sep and hope to see you again -^
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

It was 2 for 1 on any international economy fare available on NZ website (limit 1 per customer). tht and I went for global saver fare instead of global saver max in order that we could credit miles to a program other than airpoints.

Hopefully next time our meeting won't be so brief.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 3:03 pm

Whats the world record in fastest around the world on commercial airlines?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 5:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

My understanding it is 31 hours 27 minutes 49 seconds - on Concorde of course. New York to Toulouse to Dubai to Bangkok to Guam to Honolulu to Acapulco August 15/16 1995. (Note this doesn't return to origin - the FAI rules doesn't require that.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.