BKK/HKT Trip Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK/HKT Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
BKK/HKT Trip Report

Bangkok/Phuket Trip Report
June 24-July 8

This is long, but broken into components…..

The people of the trip consisted of: Mr. Vker, Vker (my wife), Mike (our son-aged 16), Keith (son’s friend from church-aged 17)

Getting to JFK from Baltimore

We actually live in Baltimore. Airfare for 4 from BWI-JFK was outrageous. We rented a mini van one way from Hertz for a very good rate-no one way drop charge. This worked out very well. We put wear and tear on Hertz cars and the cost of the rentals (both ways) was only slightly more than parking. The minivans provided a lot of room for our luggage and scuba gear.

The night of June 23 we stayed at the new Fairfield by Marriott at JFK on points. 2 rooms for 10000 points each-good deal.

We dropped the van Saturday morning and took the airport train to Thai’s terminal.

Thai Air JFK-BKK non-stop

This is the fastest way to BKK from New York. All other routes from New York-BKK are around 24 hours including layovers and plane changes.

Our flight was full, so I did the I Checkin through Thai’s website 24 hours before the flight. You cannot get a BP, but they know you will be there.

Vker and Mr. Vker were in Premium Economy while Mike and Keith were in Economy. The check in and boarding process was very smooth. Separate line for PE as well as priority luggage handling.

Flight boarded a bit late. Flight time was published at 16 hours 55 minutes. The announced flight time was 1 hour less-YEAH! We arrived a bit early. Very interesting polar route-Santa must have been on vacation. We looked but could not see him. The entire flight was in daylight because it is summer and daylight 24 hours a day above the Arctic Circle. The flight crew has all window shades down during ENTIRE flight so taking a peak lit up the whole cabin.

Pluses:
IFE was fantastic: About 20 movies/30 TV shows and cultural info to watch on demand. There was also an extensive selection of music too.

Service was great. The Thai air crew provided the level of service we have come to expect from the Asian airlines. Food was good (same in regular economy) and their responsiveness was great. The crew to BKK was a little better than the return crew.

Minuses:
PE sits entirely over the wing. The wing reflects the Sun right onto the window and you roast since there are no individually controlled air vents. Our son’s cabin was much cooler and requests to the crew to lower the cabin temperature were unsuccessful-probably due to it being a PE problem only.

The PE seat is not much to speak of. You do get more legroom, a little extra recline and slightly more seat width. However, the arm between the seats is fixed and the tray table comes out from the arm rests-I hate that. I am a big guy and I could not get the tray in a comfortable eating position. Cushioning on the seat is almost unheard of-I would actually describe the seat as hard. The leg rest is useless if you are tall. Increased leg room was the only real benefit for us. We were a little disappointed in this and are not sure that PE is worth the extra cost.

Bangkok

Peninsula Hotel-4 nights

We had 2 rooms on Amex Platinum FHR pricing. This was much better than pricing directly from Peninsula.

Mike and Keith had the Grand Deluxe room (which is on the higher floors) with 2 twin beds. They totally loved the electronic controls on everything and the TV in the bathroom.

We upgraded to a Grand Deluxe suite at check in for $60/night more. We thought this was a good idea because it gave us a dining/living area for when the boys visited or when we had room service meals.

We were offered the standard FHR upgrade, which was a Balcony room. This makes the room a bit smaller and I enjoy sitting in the AC watching the river.

The pool is beautiful with great Salas for use. There is no charge, but first come, first serve. The Salas are very substantial with a ceiling fan for comfort. Pool staff was very attentive.

The breakfast buffet was included, but we would have eaten there anyway. It was delicious. There was something for every taste.

Bangkok Tours

We arranged 2 private tours in advance through BE Tours (www.betours.net).

We did a half day Bangkok city tour that included the Grand Palace, Golden Buddha, Reclining Buddha etc. We were in a Mercedes Van with a driver and a tour guide that spoke English very well.

The other tour was Ayutthaya, the ancient capital. I had not done this tour before. It was all day and included a longtail boat ride on the river and lunch. It was wonderful. We really enjoyed seeing the houses along the river. There was quite a variety.

I think private tours are the way to go. They are not very expensive and the knowledge we gained was incredible. I saw many people (especially at the Grand Palace) looking around not knowing what they were seeing because they didn’t have a guide.

Tailor

We had several recommendations for Monetil Sarto in the mall behind the Marriott Bangkok Resort and Spa. I emailed Jack prior to our arrival and he stayed open late on a Sunday evening to see us for our first appt. We had 3 fittings and he delivered the clothes to the airport the day of our return to the USA. He was VERY conscientious and detail oriented. Our group consisted of Keith 6’ 2” and skinny, Mike 6’ 3’ and medium and Tker 6’ 5” and large. I am very difficult to fit, but the clothes look great. Refreshments (including beer) during each appt were a very nice touch. We highly recommend Jack. http://www.monetilsarto.com

Phuket-8 nights

A quick note-the flight is short, but if you fly on Thai, get Business Class. You get lounge access, priority luggage, and a great seat. It’s only about $50 more.

Marriott Phuket Beach Club

Yes, we are time share owners. Don’t hold that against us. We love the Marriott in Phuket! The time share units are 2 bedroom condos with 3 zone AC. Not a big deal to most, but I like it cold.

The JW Marriott facilities were fabulous. There are three fantastic pools. Two of the pools get up to 8 feet deep and the other one has a swim up bar and restaurant. Complimentary water, spray bottles and fruit made pool side very relaxing.

Condos in the new phase have a much better washer/dryer arrangement. The resort is large and spread out so after walking back and forth to the pools and restaurants several times a day we sometimes opted to call for a cart to pick us up or take us back to the condo. This is a great amenity. Last year my mother was with us and she has trouble with her knees. Having a cart available really allowed her to enjoy the resort more and not worry about any physical limitations.

The restaurants are air conditioned but are still rather warm, especially the café with the cooking stations. We found that it was usually more comfortable to eat outside with the breeze blowing in over the sea. Sometimes the rain would sneak up and chase us inside though.

Limestone Adventure Boat Charters

We hired a speedboat for the day to take us around the east side of the island-including Phang Nga Bay. This is where the famous “James Bond Island” is. Phang Nga is a magical place. The limestone formations shoot hundreds of feet out of the sea and are stunning.

The “speed” of the boat was great fun and allowed us to do a lot more touring than those that hired a longtail boat. Vker gets seasick very easy, but had no problem at all.

We toured the area, had lunch at a beautiful resort and did some snorkeling. The only problem with the swimming was that some beaches had some VERY large jellyfish-as big as basketballs. Fortunately, they had short tentacles so swimming was possible, but one needed to keep out a sharp eye.

The staff on the boat provided refreshments and excellent service including snorkel gear.

If you are interested in these guys, contact Fred at www.limestoneadventures.com.

A note about the Thai people: On the return transfer to our hotel, we left our camera bag complete with camera, memory sticks and Vker’s new shell collection. We realized this about 1 hour after our return. We contacted the concierge, they called Limestone. Limestone then contacted the taxi service to see if they had the bag. The bag, with all contents was returned to us the next day.

Scuba

The Marriott has a dive center onsite with certification and diving. Mike and Keith did the entire open water course in 3 days-1 day in the pool, 2 days diving. This is in addition to evening bookwork.

The dive school is very well run with good facilities and equipment. Weather, this time of year, prohibits diving on the west coast. We had to dive in the south. This meant a 1 hour van ride to the marina and then 1 ˝ hours on the boat to the dive areas. The water was rough the first day-many of us, including Mr. Vker got sick. It was worth it, the diving was great.

[email protected] or www.nauticadivers.com

Summary

All had a wonderful time.

Hot and humid in BKK-we expected that and coped fine.

Rainy season in Phuket-only had 1 day of consistent rain.

We will do the Marriott Resort and Spa in Bangkok next year instead of Peninsula (we say this every year, but in 2007 we really will). We have tons of Marriott points and the property is beautiful.

We will try to upgrade with miles to business class on Thai. If we cannot, we will probably get regular economy. We don’t think the price difference is worth it.

Thanks again for reading our report.

Please post a comment if you would like further info.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:32 am

Excellent report, Mr. Vker -- good information, lots of useful details. I especially appreciated the info and tips on PE on Thai. (Who knew that the cabin would get warm due to sun reflections off the wing?!)
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
When I say warm, I mean it too.

The window shades were hot to the touch in PE. At my son's seat, just 10 rows back or so, they were cold.

Plus there are curtains between PE and Business and a bulkhead before economy trapping in the heat.

Thanks for the comments
Old Jul 12, 2006, 6:38 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hello Mr Viker,

Loved reading about the Peninsula.
When i first started going to BKK, I stayed at the Pen as so many referred to it.
I used to love the pool and the way the ice water materialised, and the towels were replaced everytime i had a swim. Like you, I enjoyed the suite. Funny story comes to mind. Many people had said they left messages and also the front desk said they had told us things but we were adamant that we never received anything. Three days later we found the fax machine concealed in a drawer in the desk by the entrance foyer absolutely full of messages and paper. Thanks for the report as I too, have often looked at the vast array of seating behind C and thought I might be as well off in there. Now I know. I keep telling my friends that at nightime when I have finished work, I can sit and watch the river traffic for hours. It's the best floor show in town. Once again thanks for an enjoyable read and regards.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Hello Mr Viker,

Loved reading about the Peninsula.
When i first started going to BKK, I stayed at the Pen as so many referred to it.
I used to love the pool and the way the ice water materialised, and the towels were replaced everytime i had a swim. Like you, I enjoyed the suite. Funny story comes to mind. Many people had said they left messages and also the front desk said they had told us things but we were adamant that we never received anything. Three days later we found the fax machine concealed in a drawer in the desk by the entrance foyer absolutely full of messages and paper. Thanks for the report as I too, have often looked at the vast array of seating behind C and thought I might be as well off in there. Now I know. I keep telling my friends that at nightime when I have finished work, I can sit and watch the river traffic for hours. It's the best floor show in town. Once again thanks for an enjoyable read and regards.
That is funny-and I can follow up.

Now when they send a fax, the following happens. They leave a voice mail that you have "written messages". You call for the written message and the lady tells you to check your fax!

The fax in how the concierge leaves you messages.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:05 am
Banyan Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: United 1K, AA Gold, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, *W Gold, Leader's Club (?worthless)
How much for a suit

I'm going to be in Bangkok next week and booked a stay at the FHR rate for deluxe balcony at the Peninsula. Can you tell me, what was the FHR rate for the deluxe suite? Also, how much in USD was the suit from Jack the tailor? Thanks for the great report! - Ether
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ether
I'm going to be in Bangkok next week and booked a stay at the FHR rate for deluxe balcony at the Peninsula. Can you tell me, what was the FHR rate for the deluxe suite? Also, how much in USD was the suit from Jack the tailor? Thanks for the great report! - Ether

We paid 6500 baht per suit(plus some volume discount-usually you can get 15%). This is about $170 USD. He has several grades of material, this was from the top level of material.

If you want to use him, email him before you arrive and tell him you read Todd's trip report. It should help with discount. But, you don't get anything you don't ask for. A taxi from the Pen to the Marriott Resort and spa where Jack is-he is in the mall to your right when they drop you off-is less than 100 baht (3 dollars).

The deluxe balcony will probably upgrade to a grand deluxe balcony. Same room, higher floor.

When we checked in, they offered the grand deluxe balcony room upgrade from grand deluxe room. My wife asked, how much for a suite. He checked availability and told us $60/night more than the FHR rate for the grand deluxe room. This is a good deal.

Have fun!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Thumbs up

Excellent report and tips.

Thanks so much for writing it.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:22 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Very interested in your experiences with the Limestone tour group. What are their price ranges for day trips to the islands from Phuket? We will be staying at the JW in Phuket in November. Would you recommed the condos at the vacation club rather than the hotel? We will only be there 2-3 nights and its just two of us.

I have been to Phuket before but stayed at Patong Beach. Can't wait to return and take Mrs. JC5280 for the first time!

Thanks so much!
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JC5280
Very interested in your experiences with the Limestone tour group. What are their price ranges for day trips to the islands from Phuket? We will be staying at the JW in Phuket in November. Would you recommed the condos at the vacation club rather than the hotel? We will only be there 2-3 nights and its just two of us.

I have been to Phuket before but stayed at Patong Beach. Can't wait to return and take Mrs. JC5280 for the first time!

Thanks so much!

We have only stayed in the condos which are very nice. I have a feeling after speaking with others that some of the hotel rooms are more luxurious than the condos. The condo does have a wonderful masterbath with soaking tub.

FYI: With your Marriott Plat status, the AWESOME breakfast buffet is included. Its definately included if you are in a regular room and I thin it's only included if you pay by the day for the condos.

Here's a website directly for the hotel: http://www.jwmarriottphuket.com/

I believe Limestone http://www.limestoneadventures.com/ is all watersports. It was awesome having a boat to ourselves for the day and going anywhere in Phang Nga Bay we wanted. If you email them, we worked with Fred and he did a wonderful job.

For island tours, check out the concierge. They are very helpful and knowledgable. FWIW, we went to Fantasea on a previous trip. The show was great, but the buffet dinner was mediocre. You can payless and not include dinner.

If you just want to explore the island, we hired an English speaking driver and car (Mercedes ^ ) from the Marriott. I think it was $60 for 4 hours-anyplace you want to go on Phuket.

Enjoy.

PM me if you want my email or have other questions.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 1:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Nice report ^

Moving to the Trip Reports forum so it can get the widest readership in a forum devoted to such reports.

cblaisd
Senior Moderator
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:10 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
For some excellent views of the airport, runway and aircraft at HKT, go to Nai Yang beach on the northwest of Phuket. The beach is very close to the end of the runway. ^
Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Nice Trip Report m8. I like the details that you have given...
Keep up the good work...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.