Search

Mini Tour of NZ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2007, 4:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
CHRISTCHURCH to QUEENSTOWN (CHC-ZQN) on NZ 737-300

Even with our late arrival I had enough time to visit the lounge and grab a hot drink. For I didn't expect to get one in the short flight down to Queenstown (and I was right). The lounge was fairly busy. The fog was causing minor (very minor) delays to most flights, including mine.

The flight was soon called and we boarded the 737. The load was only about three quarters full and so I had a blocked middle seat, however I politely asked to move to the window seat in the vacant row ahead and thus got better views on this flight too.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 9:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

As we took off through the fog layer I noticed the fog at Christchurch was deeper than at Auckland. The mid-plains area was blanketed, but further south and west was clearer, but again some basins and especially the Southern Lakes were brilliant white in the now higher morning sun. For a while we had a complete (circle) rainbow appear on the clouds below.

With the amount of fog around we did not descend as much as normal and for a while I thought we were being diverted to Invercargill, the usual standby for Queenstown. But instead I got a surprise as a window in the fog appeared over Lake Wakatipu and we descended into the Glenorchy end of the lake, turned around in the Dart Valley and returned to land from the south, but not before another loop around the peak on Kelvin Peninsula, awaiting the clearance of the last vestiges of fog at the airport.

In dozens of flights to and from Queenstown I've never landed from this direction - all ATR and 737 flights landing from the north, and the little prop flight (from Milford Sound) landing on the grass cross runway. This was the first flight in for the day and I noted the subsequent Qantas flight (and other Air NZ flights) took the usual route. To the north, the area around Arrowtown/Lake Hayes was still rather foggy.

I was lucky to get this landing - the difference in perspective is interesting as normally we are climbing steeply and turning after take off to the south. The steep sided valley containing Lake Wakatipu certainly looks much narrower from inside a descending 737 than from the ground, from inside a tiny prop aircraft or dangling beneath a parapent sail!

We deplaned by stairs into the brisk -8C air. Not much snow at the airport but plenty in shaded areas right down to the lake. There was a good coating of ice on half the apron, and outside the terminal in the carpark.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Queenstown to Wellington (ZQN-WLG) on ATR 72-500

Since I lasted visit Queenstown on Air NZ they have slightly upgraded the status of the lounge. It still is a regional koru club (which means no guests for *G) but now have it staffed full time, I assume in response to complaints from VIPs (real or perceived). After all other regional koru clubs can be even busier (eg Nelson or Palmerston North) and do not have a lounge attendant.

As usual, however, the nice food and drink remains. Indeed the lounge agent is busy replacing the breakfast foods with mid morning food when I arrive, and later puts out the lunch food. The lounge is fairly quiet today with only a few morning/early afternoon departures.

I picked up some information for the Kiwi Mainland Do 9-11 November 2007, which will be in Queenstown, and soon it was early afternoon and time to board.

As a prop flight we did not have to go through security. With the temperature still freezing - now a balmy(?) -3C - I tried to time my walk across the tarmac to not have much wait on the rear stairs. Unfortunately for me some elderly passengers and young kids were needing to be helped up. In the brief wait I looked around and saw threatening low cloud swirling around the hillsides, some of the peaks being hidden from view, for snow was forecast this afternoon. Hopefully we don't get stuck here at the last minute (at Queenstown I have previously gotten as far as turning at the end of the runway, for their is no taxiway, only to return to the terminal when the weather closed in rapidly).
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

We took off, as usual, to the south, pirouetted and headed for the southern lakes region. With good tail winds and an on time departure the captain figured we had some time in hand. So I got my second surprise of the day. We spent 10-15 minutes zig-zagging over the Southern Alps in the Mt Aoraki/Cook region, with the turns providing great views of the tallest mountains in australasia (Mts Aoraki/Cook and Tasman), high passes (Copeland Pass), icefalls (Hochstetter Icefall), glaciers (the longest glacier in the country - the Tasman Glacier on the eastern side as well as Fox and Franz Josef glaciers on the western side), frozen lakes and rugged countryside. We were very fortunate in the weather was clear enough for great views, with only the Pukaki and Tekapo lakes and surrounding basins still shrouded in fog, behind us the advancing frontal weather system menacing the mountains and otherwise clear from coast to coast.

It was magic and reminded me somewhat of the flightseeing trip over Antarctica that I'd taken a couple of years ago, albeit much shorter in duration.

We flew much of the length of the Southern Alps and over the twin Kaikoura Ranges (Inland Kaikoura Range and Seaward Kaikoura Range) to emerge over the sea at Cape Campbell. The approach into Wellington was rather bumpy but otherwise the flight was very smooth.

Tea, coffee water and small biscuit were offered along the way (plus the boiled sweets of course).

We arrived to a stormy Wellington just a few minutes late.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
[b]Since I lasted visit Queenstown on Air NZ they have slightly upgraded the status of the lounge. It still is a regional koru club (which means no guests for *G) but now have it staffed full time, I assume in response to complaints from VIPs (real or perceived). After all other regional koru clubs can be even busier (eg Nelson or Palmerston North) and do not have a lounge attendant.
Have they put in one of those podiums for the attendant, and dumped the code thing?

Several times in the past I have noticed an attendant roaming around inside the lounge (not that there is far to roam), and checking boarding cards.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 1:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Have they put in one of those podiums for the attendant, and dumped the code thing?

Several times in the past I have noticed an attendant roaming around inside the lounge (not that there is far to roam), and checking boarding cards.
Yes. Previously someone from check in would come up whenever they could to work in the lounge (same as the other regional koru clubs). Now lounge attendant stays in the lounge the whole time, although not necessarily always at the entrance. So at ZQN no need for an access code.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:07 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
We took off, as usual, to the south, pirouetted and headed for the southern lakes region. With good tail winds and an on time departure the captain figured we had some time in hand. So I got my second surprise of the day. We spent 10-15 minutes zig-zagging over the Southern Alps in the Mt Aoraki/Cook region, with the turns providing great views of the tallest mountains in australasia (Mts Aoraki/Cook and Tasman), high passes (Copeland Pass), icefalls (Hochstetter Icefall), glaciers (the longest glacier in the country - the Tasman Glacier on the eastern side as well as Fox and Franz Josef glaciers on the western side), frozen lakes and rugged countryside. We were very fortunate in the weather was clear enough for great views, with only the Pukaki and Tekapo lakes and surrounding basins still shrouded in fog, behind us the advancing frontal weather system menacing the mountains and otherwise clear from coast to coast.

It was magic and reminded me somewhat of the flightseeing trip over Antarctica that I'd taken a couple of years ago, albeit much shorter in duration.

We flew much of the length of the Southern Alps and over the twin Kaikoura Ranges (Inland Kaikoura Range and Seaward Kaikoura Range) to emerge over the sea at Cape Campbell. The approach into Wellington was rather bumpy but otherwise the flight was very smooth.

Tea, coffee water and small biscuit were offered along the way (plus the boiled sweets of course).

We arrived to a stormy Wellington just a few minutes late.
You make me envious KiwiFlyer.

I have said it before, but Central Otago and that part of the world is my favourite part of New Zealand, and it is right up there with anything in the rest of the world.

I have mentioned on the Queenstown DO thread, that many years ago, when my (then) teenage children were over from Melbourne for the winter school holidays in Queentown, we took the Queenstown - Milford Sound - Queenstown flight in a light aircraft, it was a cloudless day, the flight was spectacular, and the approach into Milford was something again. As part of the trip we had a cruise on Milford Sound, and again absolutely spectacular. The only negatives were the sand flies, but with the right preparation, they are controllable.

Strongly recommended as a day trip for overseas visitors contemplating coming to the Queenstown DO.

I did also have a look at your Antarctic trip report. I have been promising to myself for some time that I and Mrs WellingtonFF should do one of these, and I see that there is one on New Years Eve from Melbourne and Sydney.

Very tempted after reading your report, and it would keep Mrs WellingtonFF happy after I spend five days at the Boxing Day test in Melbourne. She is Korean, and even after being together for more than 20 years, she still has major problem in understanding why anyone, let alone a cricket addict would want to spend five days at a cricket match.

I really enjoy reading your trip reports, and I hope to meet you at the Queenstown DO

Last edited by WellingtonFF; Jul 24, 2007 at 12:59 am
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Wellington to Nelson (WLG-NSN) on NZ Q300

Despite the late arrival I had just enough time to pop up to the Koru Club for a quick drink and snack (lots of yummy real food on offer) before boarding was called.

The weather was closing in but still dry as we walked across the tarmac. The low threatening clouds promised a bumpy ride. Flights between Wellington and Blenheim or Nelson must be amongst the bumpiest in the country, for the flight path takes us at roughly right angles across the strong prevailing winds through Cook Strait, and even when it is calm it can still be bumpy from the thermals over the Marlborough Sounds and ranges.

We had a bit of musical chairs as the FA rearranged seating so that the elites travelling alone all got an empty seat beside, and of course the unaccompanied minor was not allowed to sit by anyone. That down we closed doors, taxiied and took off to the south - the landing/take off direction having reversed in just the short interval I was on the ground.

Sure enough the flight was rather bumpy as we flew over the frontal edge, and views were limited until we reached the clear air over the Bryant Range behind Nelson. We descended steeply over the central city, turned at the shore to fly over the Boulder Bank, Haulashore Island and Tahunanui Beach (fairly empty at this time of year as you'd expect) and landed over the last of the day's golfers.

The evening is a busy time for arrivals and departures, but I was surprised to see how many aircraft would be parking up at Nelson for the night - at least 7 by my reckoning. Thus it was a matter of squeezing into a space between the other aircraft on the apron.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Nelson to Wellington (NSN-WLG) on NZ Saab 340

NZ has been busy replacing its Saab aircraft with Q300 and this process is almost complete. So I managed to get one last Saab flight (at least in Air NZ colours) on one of the last 2 or 3 Saab they have - 2 of which were overnighting in Nelson tonight.

I like the Saab and will miss it - for you could always get an "A" seat (on the 1 seat side of the aisle), and there is just enough room in the small overhead bins for my carry-on thus more room around my feet. But loads are such on many domestic routes that it no longer works well for Air NZ.

The flight was uneventful. As on the flight over, refreshments are just a water pottle, and boiled sweets. I remember many years ago when we got a decent meal on the short hop. Times sure have changed. Then again, in those days there were only a handful of flights, which took about twice as long. Now the route is almost a shuttle with very frequent flights lasting only 25 minutes or so each.

In the gathering darkness views were limited, but we could feel the worsening weather beneath us. We arrived to a wet and cold Wellington, but fortunately just in between showers so did not get wet across the tarmac.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Wellington to Auckland (WLG-AKL) on NZ 737-300

Again only a briefest of visits in the lounge before boarding. 20 minute domestic connections work well in NZ.

Not much to say about this flight. Usual service. No views other than of the end of the sunset and a light display from a very large thunderstorm south of Auckland, which delayed our arrival considerable as we flew a long way off normal course to avoid the worst of the bumps (was still rather bumpy though). Load was fairly full but again lucky enough to get seat blocked thanks to my status.

This aircraft still had the old, larger pitch. It certainly was noticeable (and appreciated) compared to my 2 737 flights this morning.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

FLYING TOUR OF NEW ZEALAND

Continuing with the increasingly badly titled mini tour of New Zealand I pause for a moment of indulgence.

After lots and lots of international travel in the past few years, my schedule for 2007 was looking like I wouldn’t be able to fit much longhaul travel in. Don’t get me wrong, I still expect to do quite a bit by non-FT standards – say 2 or 3 round the world trips plus some other trips, however this is well down on the past few years. Instead my schedule currently suits short domestic trips.

Having recently flown to the last few of the 26 domestic destinations served by a major airline in New Zealand, I decided to set myself a new goal – to fly all 50 current domestic routes. I had previously flown quite a few of them, but the network schedules will pose some challenges to fit into my time constraints (as well as booking engine constraints) – particularly the routes served only once a day. I've now flown every domestic Air NZ route, although 3 new routes commence in late October 2007.

While I will collect a modest amount of mileage thanks to sector minimums, this is not a mileage run. Fare rules in New Zealand do not permit routings other than the most direct possible, and the cheapest domestic fares on Air New Zealand are non-mileage earning (with Qantas only having 6, soon to be 5, routes almost all flights are on Air New Zealand).

The current routes are listed below, and I’ll mark them off as I go.

From/To Auckland
From/To Hamilton
From/To Wellington
  • WLG-WRE first flown 2007 (Wellington – Whangarei)
  • WLG-HLZ first flown years ago & again in 2007 (Wellington - Hamilton)
  • WLG-TRG first flown 2007 (Wellington – Tauranga)
  • WLG-ROT first flown 2007 (Wellington – Rotorua)
  • WLG-TUO first flown 2007 (Wellington – Taupo)
  • WLG-GIS first flown 2007 (Wellington – Gisborne)
  • WLG-NPE first flown years ago & again in 2007 (Wellington - Napier / Hastings)
  • WLG-NPL first flown 2007 (Wellington – New Plymouth)
  • WLG-WAG first flown 2007 (Wellington – Wanganui)
  • WLG-PMR first flown 2007 (Wellington – Palmerston North)
  • WLG-BHE first flown years ago, and again in 2007 (Wellington - Blenheim)
  • WLG-NSN first flown years ago, and again in 2007 (Wellington - Nelson)
  • WLG-WSZ first flown 2006 (Wellington - Westport)
  • WLG-CHC first flown years ago, and again in 2006 & 2007 (Wellington - Christchurch)
  • WLG-TIU first flown 2006 (Wellington - Timaru)
  • WLG-ZQN (seasonal route) first flown years ago, and again in 2007 (Wellington - Queenstown)
  • WLG-DUD first flown 2006 (Wellington - Dunedin)
  • WLG-IVC new route commencing late October 2007 (Wellington - Invercargill)

From/To Nelson
From/To Christchurch
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:17 am

I like the Saab and will miss it - for you could always get an "A" seat (on the 1 seat side of the aisle), and there is just enough room in the small overhead bins for my carry-on thus more room around my feet. But loads are such on many domestic routes that it no longer works well for Air NZ..
The vibration and noise did not bother you at all?

Looking through your list of flights I'm not sure what is more scary- the number of destinations, or the fact you have records. Either way it is quite a feat.

Plus you make us less-frequent contributors to Trip Reports feel inferior
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
The vibration and noise did not bother you at all?
No. I still vividly remember the Metroliner which was far worse. Then even further back the Friendship.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Queenstown winter flights
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Quickly Flying up and down NZ

An attempt to fly 8 domestic flights in one day. Previously I've flown 7 domestic flights in a day or Air NZ. Despite the small size of the country it is difficult to have more than about 6 domestic flights, at least with legal connections and ticketed in such a way as to provide some protection against weather and other delays. This attempt was by no means certain to succeed. For while in the normal course of events I would be flying on the same aircraft for all 8 flights, I have seen aircraft substitutions being made on this itinerary before, and of course there is the usual issues of weather problems and jetconnect's poor performance (frequent delays and cancellations due to mechanical and other issues are exacerbated by the small fleet size), and even the possibility of failing to beat dusk's curfew at Queenstown due to normal delays that build up during the day.

I had an early start out to the airport. On arrival I notice that the first flight is showing as on time, and that the aircraft is ZK-JNO, one of the 737-300's with all economy seating. At check in the agent hands me all of the day's boarding passes, except one which refuses to print. I suspect this may be due to the departure tax collected at that airport - if the BP is printed remotely and I don't make the flight the tally of tax paid and BP's issued will not match. I'm not sure who would be liable in that event. Never mind, I can pick up the boarding pass later. For most flights I have sequence number 1 and for all flights have been assigned the right hand bulkhead aisle row, which has a cut out section (for feet and/or bags) on all of QF's domestic in NZ aircraft ^

Today security by the Qantas gates is already open at 0545. The security by the Air NZ jet gates never opens before 0600 and sometimes the security by the Qantas gates also stays resolutely closed until 0600 with the security folk just standing around talking until that time So I get into the lounge early enough for a coffee, to check the weather in Queenstown on www.metservice.co.nz (the webcams at the surrounding skifields are particularly useful as they have saved me from taking a flight that ended up being diverted on more than one occassion), check my email and a couple of FT messages.

As usual I hear the boarding call in the public area through the wall and a few minutes later the call is made in the lounge. It is great that there is no need to rush onboard - there is plenty of overhead bin space for everybody as passengers in NZ generally take none or only 1 small bag onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.