Search

Custer Stampede: Life Size Buffalo Art- Custer, SD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:37 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Custer Stampede: Life Size Buffalo Art- Custer, SD

While driving through Custer, SD I noticed life-size buffalo statues on many street corners along Mount Rushmore Road. Each buffalo was painted in it's own unique way. When we arrived in Custer we didn't have much time to stop and check out the statues. We were in a bit of a rush. We wanted to relax for a bit, grab dinner and get back to Custer State Park to drive the 18-mile Wildlife Loop.

The moment I saw the buffalo they reminded me of a couple of similar art projects (charity auctions) that I had seen in the past. I remembered seeing the Cow Parade in New York and on our visit to Boston, Kim and I had fun wandering around and taking photos of their Cow Parade.

Here are a couple of buffalo that we stopped to take photos of. If we had more time I'd definitely have quite a few more.

Here is my favorite buffalo that we saw in Custer. Not only is the artwork amazing- I love the skeleton design. The story behind the design was also really interesting.

Find out more about the Custer Stampede HERE
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:47 pm

Interesting. So are these painted and auctioned off?

I remember seeing similar painted buffalo statues in Fargo. I think they were part of 2006 art installation - Herd About the Prairie.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I went to College in Buffalo NY and they had mostly life sized castings done by local artists all over the city too.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:32 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Originally Posted by embla
Interesting. So are these painted and auctioned off?

I remember seeing similar painted buffalo statues in Fargo. I think they were part of 2006 art installation - Herd About the Prairie.
I believe that they were already auctioned off or sold. A few of them said "on loan from so & so's private collection.
I love these kind of statues/ art. It's fun to see what each artist does to make their piece stand out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.