Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-HKG (and back) on 3K + HIX Causeway Bay during Sevens

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2006, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, UA
Post SIN-HKG (and back) on 3K + HIX Causeway Bay during Sevens

Disclaimer: This is really meant to be a trip report! Yes, I might have had some issues with the service on the flight, but this is for entertainment purposes only. Now on to the debut...

I was quite surprised when my friend suggested that we go to Hong Kong from Singapore (it was part of a “spring break” trip). I know a lot of FTers love HK, but my first trip there was somewhat “blah” and I never went back. Even more surprising was his justification that we should go because “Sevens” was going to be on that weekend. For those with origins in Commonwealth countries, you might actually know what this is. But as an American, it took a bit of searching before I could even ask, “Rugby? ...?”

But rather than be a wet towel, I said sure. And even though my friend was the one in Singapore, he had me search for plane tickets. After a bit of stumbling around, I end up at the website of JetStar Asia. Although their flight times were a bit awkward, they did have much cheaper fares than CX and SQ. Some research showed that 3K is actually a LCC owned by Qantas. I think to myself that “these guys can’t be complete jokers, right?” So I booked the tickets thinking, I fly WN all the time and this shouldn’t be that different.

Also immediately, I get a very upbeat email that states: “Sit back, relax and get ready for the Jetstar Asia Experience. You’ll enjoy the comfort of a brand new aircraft, comfortable leather seats, and great service.” Now, I know that is just marketing speak. But compared to my usual utilitarian WN Ticketless Confirmations, its something. Plus, they go through the trouble of creating PDFs with barcodes for the electronic tickets. Fancy!

Checking in at SIN was an a bit unusual. The staff at 3K used Thinkpad laptops with barcode scanners instead of the usual airport computer terminals. I thought it was amusing that my boarding pass was printed on cash register thermal roll stock, but maybe this is an innovation to save IT costs. As long as the money is going into plane maintenance and quality pilots, that is fine by me.

I knew beforehand that nothing comes for free on 3K; even water costs a couple of SGD. So I stocked up on bottle water at the airport before boarding. With that, I figure I’m all ready to go. When they finally open for boarding, I walk down the jetway, eagerly wondering what my fate for the next three hours will be. As I entered the plane, the promises on my confirmation email came back to my mind:

1. Brand new aircraft
2. Comfortable leather seats
3. Great service

For the first item, I can check that off. It’s a relatively new A320. I guess it is not realistic for every passenger to be on the maiden flight of a plane. (I hear those suckers cost quite a few million each.) But as I walk down to my seat towards the back of the plane, I think something is not right. I have been on A320s before and somehow this plane seems bigger because I’m walking past a lot of rows…

When I get to my row, I realize what is actually happening: the plane is the same size, they just have more rows. I did not have a measuring tape with me, but using my body I know the pitch is MUCH lower. I am a bit over 6’ and if I even slouched slightly in my seat, my knees would hit the chair in front of me. Yes, the seat as leather, but as for comfortable, I think 3K needs to add a footnote that says, “Offer void for people above 5’ 6” in height” (or whatever the metric equivalent is).

Another feature of the seat is the Singtel advertisement that was stuck on the tray table. I think that’s the first time I’ve seen inflight advertising other than for the airline itself. I wonder how much Singtel paid for that privilege.

Settling in as best I can, I get some rest before take off. As we reaching cruising altitude, I notice the efficient cabinet crew start their service. I believe the crew is based in Singapore and I think to myself, I’ll bet the marketing department must have asked the flight attendants if the seats were comfortable. The entire staff consisted of women who fit the image of the petite, (relatively) short flight attendant.

First they pimp the in-flight movies. 3K uses a portable machines that they rent to passengers. I didn’t check the movie selection, but I think there are a few choices. I passed as I would rather rest on the flight.

Next, the drink and food cart comes around. Since you are paying for your stuff, it seemed like the selection was decent. I was surprised to see quite a few people ordering the food. I opted for a Tiger beer as I hoped it would help me relax a bit in my confined space. It took quite a bit of time to serve the entire plane as the flight attendants would zip back to the gallery (with their cart) and take their seats whenever the fasten seat belt light came on. Odd.

Now, I wouldn’t say its great service, but its not bad. The turbulance is not their fault and I am getting a great deal on this flight. They did ask if I wanted another beer or anything else after I finished. Cynically, this makes sense they are selling everything, but they did have a lot of people to serve.

Shortly after I finish, I realize it’s time to do what people do after having a beer. I make my way back to the aft lavs and lock the door. Just as I do, the plane hits a patch of turbulence and the fasten seat belt light illuminates. But as I’ve flown a few times before, I know how to “stay on target” and proceed. Halfway through my transaction, I’m surprised by a very loud pounding on the door. Then I hear one for the flight attendants say something to me, but between the door and the Singlish accent, I couldn’t really understand what she said.

So I finish up, wash my hands, and exit the lav. As I step out, the flight attendant has been waiting for me to finish in her jumpseat. She gives me a somewhat dirty look and states very emphatically that I must return to my seat immediately. As I roll my eyes and walk back, I ponder two very big life questions:
1. How the hell does the smallest flight attendant on the plane (just over 5' in height) manage to knock pound so loudly on the lav door?
2. What did she expect me to do in that situation? Was I supposed to exit immediately? Do I get to finish since I’m already halfway done? Am I allowed to zip up before exiting? What about washing my hands?

At this point I can definitely strike the “great” from the “great service” claim. For all the talk about how flight attendants on US airlines may offer poor service, I have never gotten this kind of crap (pun intended) from any of them.

Fortunately, we land in HK soon afterwards. As I deplane, I consider saying something to the flight attendant. But having been conditioned by the post 9/11 US flight culture, I realize I don’t want her to call the cops on me or something. I had two rules for this vacation:
1. Do not get caned in Singapore
2. Do not end up in jail anywhere in the PRC (even if it’s the HKSAR).
So it just wasn’t worth it. Besides, I’m not going to let a less than optimal flight get me down. The good news is, HK turned out to be much better than expected.

To be continued….
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:31 pm

Keep it coming ^
I will have my first jetstar asia experience in July, although a much shorter flight than your.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.