Search

Motorcycle Roadtrip in Arizona - Sedona, Grand Canyon, White Mountains

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2001, 5:47 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Motorcycle Roadtrip in Arizona - Sedona, Grand Canyon, White Mountains

Flew into Phoenix during July (VERY HOT!!!).
Rented cycles from Western Motorcycle Rentals. Here is their website: http://hometown.aol.com/azmcrent/index.htm Great owner and bikes are kept in great condition. Let us pick up the bikes the night before we were due to rent, so we could start our roadtrip early. I rented the full cruiser 1200KT? by BMW. It had a radio and a windshield that could be lowered, as well as cruise control. A truly awesome bike!!! My compadres rented the cheaper 1100's by BMW. While they like the bikes, after riding mine, they agreed they would have preferred the more comfortable cruiser.

That night drove Northwest out of Phoenix on Hwy 60. Not much to see on Hwy 60 until one gets past Wickenburg. Stayed in one of the many cheap, but clean hotels in Wickenburg. Driving during the evening, one does not have to deal w/the heat or all the old fogies on their golf carts in the Sun City area.

Had breakfast. The road past Wickenburg gets beautiful very quick. We headed North on 89 which goes through the Prescott National Forest. We then arrived at Prescott. I've been this route via car and motorcycle and have never found anything of interest in Prescott. So we kept going North on 89 out of Prescott for about 10 minutes until we came to 89A.

89A goes into another mountain area where the Mingus Peak (7745 FT.) is located. The switchbacks are a blast and having the tourque of the motorcycle makes passing a breeze. We then came to the town of Jerome, which is a town of switchbacks perched on the edge of the mountain. A very artsy, western type of town, perfect for a beer and grilled chicken breast sandwich. The shops are very neat and my wife loves them, BUT, this is a motorcycle trip w/the guys so we continue on to Sedona.

In Sedona, we drove around and located the Church on the Rocks. Also, just took any road we could to try and get lost. There are many panoramic views on 89A and most are well worth stopping and taking it in.

We then moved on to Flagstaff and took RT. 180 on the NW side of town to the Grand Canyon. Checked into the Holiday Inn Express using points. It was dark by the time we rolled into "town".

Spent the entire next morning viewing the Southern rim of the Grand Canyon. I've been fortunate to have seen the canyon 11 times and I've never tired of it. On a side note, one of the greatest canyon thrills I had was when a thunderstorm formed inside the canyon. I could see the North side of the Canyon, yet this frenzied storm was in the middle of the canyon while I was in sunshine. VERY NEAT!!

Followed 64 East from Desert View. This view while coming down from the elevated terrain surrounding the canyon into lower elevations is stunning. While on the way out, don't forget to view the smaller canyons carved by the little Colorado river.

We then turned North on 89 for 17 miles until we headed East on Rt. 160. Ate at a small greasy spoon in Tuba City.

MAKE SURE YOU GAS UP IN TUBA CITY IF ON A MOTORCYCLE AS GAS IS VERY SPARSE FOR QUITE AWHILE AFTER THIS!!!!!!

Then caught Rt. 264 out of Tuba City. This RT goes through the painted desert of NE Arizona. You will experience these georgeous straightaways which then are interrupted by series of switchbacks when you come to the various mesas in this part of Arizona. Then back to straightaways. Eventually we took 77 South to Interstate 40 East. Exited at the Petrified Forest National Park exit#311.

The views in Petrified Forest are very different from the Painted Desert. Make sure you stop at the various vistas and walk among the petrified wood. Very neat. The National Forest Road ends at Rt 180 which we then took South to the town of ST. John's. Then headed south to teh Town of Edgar. Stayed at one of the cheap,yet clean hotels in Edgar.

The next morning we awoke with a huge hunger after all the riding the prior day. Did not eat breakfast and headed West out of Edgar on Rt 260. Make sure you take the road off of 260 that leads to the very small town of Greer. At the end of the road you will find Greer Lodge. Greer Lodge serves one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. While you are eating, you can see the guests trying their luck at the various trout streams and ponds that are behind the lodge.

Headed West to Hon Dah, took Rt 73 south. Don't miss the Kinishba ruins, follow the signs. 73 eventually hooks up w/Rt 60. Head South on Rt. 60.

Rt 60 winds through the Salt River Canyon. Just Beautiful!!!!! Various vistas are not too be missed. Took 60 all the way into Phoenix where we returned the bikes and took a cab to the airport for our flight home.

A great three day ride!!! I will say that on some of the remote areas like Rt 264 and 77 we averaged 100+ mph. So our three day itinerary might not work if you are a cruiser or really take your time. If you are, I would suggest a four day itin, lodging in Sedona, Grand Canyon, possibly Holbrook and then Edgar.

This route would be great in a car as well!!!

Email me if you have any questions.

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 08-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 08-04-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.